Draining Gas from the GAL

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I looked at the service manual and it shows a gismo set for siphoning the gas out of the tank. I made up a gismo set like it but can't get the tube in the tank. It goes down the neck a couple of feet and hits something. I didn't taper cut the end of the tube so mabe it is just hitting a lip where the fill tube and the tank come together. Has anyone had success siphoning the GAL? I want to put fresh gas in for a dyno run and I have nearly a tank full of old gas. Any info would be appreciated.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I looked at the service manual and it shows a gismo set for siphoning the gas out of the tank. I made up a gismo set like it but can't get the tube in the tank. It goes down the neck a couple of feet and hits something. I didn't taper cut the end of the tube so mabe it is just hitting a lip where the fill tube and the tank come together. Has anyone had success siphoning the GAL? I want to put fresh gas in for a dyno run and I have nearly a tank full of old gas. Any info would be appreciated.

Push come to shove you could just pump it out by disconnecting the fuel line at the engine and attaching an electric pump to suck it dry from there.:shrug

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Ummm had a long conversation with the builders of the tank as we had a gt owner who had been draining the gas with a syphone every 6 months? MARK BLOCK!! WITH 31 MILES ON HIS 05!!!:frown, since the tank is plastic it doesnt go bad that fast unless its in there for a long ,LONG ,time. But if you have to ,use a pump,like the fish tank pumps ,pool pump , is it worth it ?, i really dont know. After this week ? how much can the fuel be off to throw off the run? Anywho good luck just make sure thhose goes past ALL 3 FLAP TO HIT THE TANK.:thumbsup GTJOEY

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The gas has a stabilzer in it but it is nearly a year old. Gee time flys.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Just drive it !!:biggrin

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Hello, I am a Ford Master tech. I looked at the wiring diagram for the fuel pump circuit and there is an Auxilary relay box in the trunk area. There are two 5 pin relays in the box.Conector C1492 pin #5 is the power sulply to the pump coming out of the relay.there are numbers on the relay so you know which pin # 5 is. If you supply the pin 5 with 12 volts it will run the pump and you can use the vehicles pump to empty the tank.I believe there is a schrader valve on the rail you can drain the tank that way or remove the supply line from the rail and empty the tank that way. I would not force lines down the capless tank fill hole it has been a problem in the past causing P0442 evaporative emissions faults. Hope this helps. I can copy and paste you the diagram of the cicuit and email it if you need?
David

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Thanks,

I can do it that way. I need to get a fuel line tool. The book made siphoning look simple. I made a little tube to hold the flaps open but the hose would not go into the tank.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Beach , its so sunny down there, just take it down a1a till it stalls out:thumbsup.The jump thing sounds interesting BUT , lets just say something shorts out....taking the pump out to repair should be around a 20,000 dollar job:eek playing but you get the point.......and yes 6r8 is right if you break one of the 3 flaps, you will get evap code 442 which means you need to replace the filler pipe , which means the car has to come apart. not fun, drive it baby..........gtjoey 1314/004/sonic blue/ i wish bony was breaking my balls right now telling me to shut up:lol

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

Year old gas with stabil should be fine. Do as GTJoey suggested. Drive it out or at least most of it and add new with stabil if it is going to sit again. Shouldn't take too long if you keep putting the pedal to the carpet. :thumbsup