Sunday Morning in the new GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Some time this morning, the dealer will contact us regarding the missing parts. When he left the dealership yesterday, he (I) was only aware of the rear "venturi". When he arrives this morning, he will receive notice that the front spoiler is also missing. It should be quite a morning for him (very nice guy, highly recommended, extremely helpful...and very upset with this situation).

In the interim, perhaps I can break from the office today long enough to pick up my son in carpool line. If not today, then tomorrow.

- doc

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
So eshrink, I guess we all should be on CBT and be taking SRIs ? I find myself in the garage late at night cleaning the brake calipers, making sure there is no debris or dirt on the wheel wells, going over the wax with yet another clean microfiber polish cloth. Do I qualify? Rest of my existance is complete chaos!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
You might want to mix your SSRIs with alcohol. Then one of us can take over your GT.

Seriously, your late night obsessions sound very reasonable for a GT owner. If I had a complete car, I would do the same.

- doc

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
PL510*Jeff said:
I removed and cleaned all of the under panels. And waxed both sides. My hope is that it will make later cleaning much easier. Grit and stuff does collect up inside, as does any thing that may drip or spill on the panels. Besides it was a nice sunny day in Seattle to perform the outside manitenance.

I moved my car lift outside and put the GT on it - all the neighbors came over for a look under the car.

Most said I was more than a bit anal waxing the underparts. But they said the same thing when I waxed the engine compartment and the inside of the hood on my racecar.

Any suggestions on what to apply to the diffuser?

I also cleaned and Wheel Waxed the standard wheels. Sure makes later cleaning of them much easier to do.

I think that if Doc E offers a group discount for on-line consultations, GT forum members would keep him too busy to be able to enjoy his GT. :lol
:biggrin do you do windows? my wife is looking for someone who does :biggrin

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
eshrink

you willl eventually have a complete car. Kinda like my line of work, you eventually get a new part that works. Not too many of my patients on SRIs, most should be!

orthodoc

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I think you get to know GTJOEY. He is stockpiling spare parts that you will need when she wants to drive to the store or elseware. Or you will have someone to sell the remnants to after.

PS. Either way keep the shifter boot.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
AtomicGT:

The shift pattern could become T1, T2, T3.... and linkage made from Herrington Rods.

BTW: Pts. with lumbar pain sleep better on trazadone qHS.

Back to the topic of GTs, despite my missing parts (and those on the car as well), I really like this car...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
AtomicGT said:
So eshrink, I guess we all should be on CBT and be taking SRIs ? I find myself in the garage late at night cleaning the brake calipers, making sure there is no debris or dirt on the wheel wells, going over the wax with yet another clean microfiber polish cloth. Do I qualify? Rest of my existance is complete chaos!

what are CBT's and SRI's, just checked my owner's manual and didn't get any, just a car cover, charger, and the greatest car?? :banana Do I need some CBT's and SRI's?? Will it make my GT faster??

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Well, tragically, even SSRIs and CBT will not make your particular GT faster.

The only way to do that is to lessen the weight.

There are two options for that:

• diet and exercise
  • buy a car with missing parts

The former is a formidable challege, and the latter is reserved solely for those who buy their cars unseen. To date, I believe that I am sole recipient of the naive-of-the-month club.

- doc

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Silverbullitt said:
I think you get to know GTJOEY. He is stockpiling spare parts

So Joey, were you around EShrink's car? :biggrin

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
AZGT said:
So Joey, were you around EShrink's car? :biggrin

Low blow, but very funny. :lol To everyone except eshrink :eek

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Do I do Windows?

pls fwd to Mrs. Bony
Every once in a while I do attempt to clean windows. Usually with the control/alt/delete buttons being pushed at the same time.

I need a 6' ladder to clean a 4' window.

I can't even reach the front window in the GT. It seems as far away from the drivers seat as Monaco is from Seattle. I guess I had best get limber using some of that Texas brew, and then do the front windshield cleaning contortions. Funny thing is that I keep forgetting to clean the window between the the passenger compartment and the engine compartment. God I hate becoming old and forgetful. Where was I ..... don't know I forgot.

Let the countdown begin -- 73 more days. Did anyone warn the loyal citizens of Detrioit and surounding area of our gathering? Should be one hell of a party. :party

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Obsessive Compulsive GT Owners Disorder

Sorry about the "CBT and the SRIs" comment. Was making a funny for eshrink. CBT, Cognative Behavioral Therapy and SRI, serotonin reuptake inhibitors, are treatment alternatives for Obssessive Compulsive Disorder. eshrink can offer more explanation.

I believe as soon as we become GT owners, we display dormant OCD qualities that become apparent in that any speck of dirt, windshield smudge, brake caliper accumulation of road grease requires that it be removed at the earliest possible time. Hence the "polishing cloth treatment late at night" thinking that "this car is so hot that it is my responsibility to keep it ultimately clean" attitude, no marks, scratches, dings, and parking far from any other car, checking it out once every 10 minutes while at a restaurant, not letting a valet park the car, insisting on parking it in the valet zone yourself, driving farther away from other cars on the road and entering an immediate hyper irritable rage when any other driver comes even near the GT on the road! How about parking at the farthest distance in a parking lot from any other car, thinking no one else will park next to you? Checking the front of the car to reconfirm that you have no dings and when you get a ding, it takes days before you finally accept it, and in your mind you have a plan to restore the ding back to normal?

eshrink is this an undescribed syndrome, Freudian perhaps ??? You see this immediately when you get a group of GTs together, there is always one guy cleaning any acquired road dirt, dust, oil film off the car when it is parked. Windshields cleaned with microfiber cloth back to showroom condition half way through a cruise. Attention to detail is the word of the day. The GTs park at a spot in the parking lot far enough away from any other random access parking spot.

I think we can describe a new syndrome, GT Obsession Syndrome, n'est pas eshrink?

orthotraumadoc

PS, I get rid of back pain patients ASAP!

Anyone else suffering from this disorder? What are your symptoms ? :lol

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
eshrink, on the shift linkage thread earlier,

Would that be a paddle shifter tranny? Gears T1-T12, with L1-L5 overdrive? Pretty complex even for Teutonic shifting!

I'll stay with the double H pattern, 1-2-3-4-5-6 and R myself. Rick Titus in his 2005 Ford GT Video, said that "if you ever get into 6th gear, give me a call, I am sure you will get at least one call from jail and I would really love to hear how fast you were going". Pretty funny.

Hope your get all your aerodynamics corrected on your GT, Venturi diffusers I believe are super essential for the performance of this car at high speeds. :banana

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
AtomicGT:

I have not seen the video (Rick Titus) to which you refer, but I would like to.

If you think about it, polishing one's vehicle may be more phallic than anal (O-C) and there are analogues in body building where we grease our bodies to show definition. This, it seems to me, is not much different than waxing ones car.

Indeed, the wise entrepreneur would have long ago realized the Turtle, Mothers, Meguair, Zaino, Pinnacle and countless others are merely selling snake oil. They realize that men pride themselves in their phallic object, want others to look at it, want others to think of it as incredibly powerful and do not want other males touching it. Interestingly, if a gorgeous female touches ones...er...vehicle, there is less distress.

There is a commerical on TV in which a well-healed guy in formal attire is polishing his chopper. His young and nubile female companion honks the horn on his luxury car at which time, he closes the garage door.

I went to the kids' school yesterday to pick up my youngest (10). It was unGodly hot, and I exited the car, I was immediately surrounded by other soccer-Dads, moms and little boys in school uniform. (One kid was especially cute. He was a real car guy. He had forgotten more than I shall ever know about cars. He knew everything about my GT. He knew about obscure race cars...he even knew of problems such as overheating etc. Too cute).

I stood on the curb waiting for the procession of noise to begin and was admiring my car. I touched the finish. I felt grit (gathered from the 15 mile...school is far away...drive). I then thought about washing and claybarring...I then felt discouraged because the darned GT lets water into all compartments when washing.

The GT is a remarkable car. It is much cooler than I anticipated from looking at someone else's GT. It runs better, handles superbly, sounds great and is beyond cool. There are Ferraris and Lambos at this school (the kids told me) but they do not compare to the GT (the kids told me), and unquestionably I was the coolest Dad in the world...the kids told me.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Kids Know BEST

I too have picked up the young ones at school with the GT. Car was mine, Kids were not. Causual obervation - 3rd and 4th graders know about the car in great detail. Many of them have the GT screen saver on their computers. A number of them have mentioned this Forum.

A few of their parents said that their kids rooms have become a GT museum. Pictures, Posters, Models, etc. The GT has replaced the Lambo police car/hot rod poster as THE one to have in your room. The folks in Dearborn should have the pr staff send a poster to every elementary school in the country (world?). Sure would help with future resale values. :willy

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Jeff:

Kids replaced guitars and cars with computers and xBox. It was refreshing to see the car emphasis come back around. I fear with the gas prices and dwindling domestic car sales that this interest will be shortlived.

The future value of the GT is hard to conceptualize. Prices are still falling, and I would think that briefly after manufacturing is halted, there will be some very low prices available (especially from dealers who did not fully realize that someone was not planning to give them $300k for their car). We may be looking at an extended period before (or even if) the GT hits bottom price and comes back around. When it does, it will likely be those cars never driven which were set aside; something I personally just cannot do.

As a kid, cars were the only thing that mattered to me...I worked on my car in my college parking lot. I missed classes (recall vividly) when I felt I had a solution for my progressive linkage (tri-power) problem. I virtually memorized articles in Hot Rod and Motor Trend. I knew part numbers from memory, even complex ones.

This kid yesterday (estimate his age at 11) was like something from a movie. He was poised, good natured, affable and had great wisdom. If I pointed out a car that was possibly better than the GT, he dismissed it and illustrated why the GT was better. I got the impression that his own father did not share his interests...and ironically, my own son does not share mine...my daughters do. For my birthday, my youngest daughter drew a picture of our GT. I plan to scan it and make it my avatar later this week. Her Internet Explorer "Favorites" are e-bay ads and Ford Racing parts for the GT. She prefers yellow/black GTs.

- doc

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I knew there was some Freud in the GT somewhere!

Phallic symbol? Well I guess it is, and most of us don't want other guys touching it! fer sure, now a Hot Babe? no problem honey, just step right inside!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
AtomicGT:

I noted with the kids that while the boys stepped forward for inspection and attempted touching of the car, the little girls stood back and just stared at it.

What is most interesting about the GT is how much everyone knows about it (or believes that they do). They do not call it a "GT"; they say "OMG, it is a Ford GT."

The cutest was two boys, about 10, who came over, looked in the car, stuck out their little sweaty hands to introduced themselves. They said in unison "whose daddy are you?"

My son jumped in the car, I pulled away and stalled the car :thumbsdow

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Most Excellent !

Status
Not open for further replies.