Sunday Morning in the new GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
We are celebrating my birthday this weekend since our eldest daughter is in town, and we do not have the pressures of work and school.

So, my goal for this morning (Sunday) was to arise, roll out the GT, drive my wife to Dunkin Donuts and get her coffee.

I arose...but Taylor (15) also arose, confused as to which day it was.

This was to be a laid back Sunday; bad enough that the humidity was already 85%.

I rolled out the GT, but then wondered if Taylor might not enjoy the ride more than my wife.

However, Taylor would not leave home without makeup. My wife would not leave home without makeup.

I began to consider the same.

An hour later as we began to depart, my wife mentioned that she was going to drive the GT.

My left arm went numb.

She, after making a series of silly faces, got into the car, found a position where she could reach the pedals (barely), giggled three times, fiddled with the ignition, mirrors, windows and wrinkled her nose twice.

She fired it up and jumped, somehow startled by the sound.

We left the driveway at 42 miles an hour, got to the intersection (distance of 50 yards) as she over-revved to get out onto the road.

Her explanation? She did not want to be hit by someone driving too fast.

Squirrels cleared the road. I now had jaw pain and substernal crushing chest pain.

She proceeded up the road, SpongeBob expression on her face, but as we approached the second intersection (a 4-way stop), I noted:
a. She seemed confused as to when she planned to brake or downshift and now had suspended all such activities while she dangled two or more of her feet in the air.
b. At the intersection she over-revved and went into the opposing lane... briefly.
c. I became short of breath.

At the next intersection, I noted that she was wearing fashionable sandals which were not consistently staying on her feet. It did not matter because, she then "thought I was in first gear", launched from the stop sign in third and made a 10' shift into 4th.

I believe she would have headed to 6th gear but, as fate would have it, we were now in the middle of the intersection...stalled.

People wanted to see the GT, apparently unaware that they did not need to crush us before seeing it.

My wife did better (I did not) by the time she got to the main road. My life had passed before me, and it was a very uninteresting short film, more like an infomercial.

I noted that two cars back was a truck which was attempting to cross the double yellow line to see the GT. He was apparently crowded out by an SUV with a couple who appeared to want us to pull over so they could take a look.

I withheld this information from my wife; she would want to wave.

We pulled into Dunkin Donut parking lot whereupon she characterized the entire experience as "that was fun."

I was in acute-Ativan insufficiency.

(photo in gallery)

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
eshrink said:
We are celebrating my birthday this weekend since our eldest daughter is in town, and we do not have the pressures of work and school.

So, my goal for this morning (Sunday) was to arise, roll out the GT, drive my wife to Dunkin Donuts and get her coffee.

I arose...but Taylor (15) also arose, confused as to which day it was.

This was to be a laid back Sunday; bad enough that the humidity was already 85%.

I rolled out the GT, but then wondered if Taylor might not enjoy the ride more than my wife.

However, Taylor would not leave home without makeup. My wife would not leave home without makeup.

I began to consider the same.

An hour later as we began to depart, my wife mentioned that she was going to drive the GT.

My left arm went numb.

She, after making a series of silly faces, got into the car, found a position where she could reach the pedals (barely), giggled three times, fiddled with the ignition, mirrors, windows and wrinkled her nose twice.

She fired it up and jumped, somehow startled by the sound.

We left the driveway at 42 miles an hour, got to the intersection (distance of 50 yards) as she over-revved to get out onto the road.

Her explanation? She did not want to be hit by someone driving too fast.

Squirrels cleared the road. I now had jaw pain and substernal crushing chest pain.

She proceeded up the road, SpongeBob expression on her face, but as we approached the second intersection (a 4-way stop), I noted:
a. She seemed confused as to when she planned to brake or downshift and now had suspended all such activities while she dangled two or more of her feet in the air.
b. At the intersection she over-revved and went into the opposing lane... briefly.
c. I became short of breath.

At the next intersection, I noted that she was wearing fashionable sandals which were not consistently staying on her feet. It did not matter because, she then "thought I was in first gear", launched from the stop sign in third and made a 10' shift into 4th.

I believe she would have headed to 6th gear but, as fate would have it, we were now in the middle of the intersection...stalled.

People wanted to see the GT, apparently unaware that they did not need to crush us before seeing it.

My wife did better (I did not) by the time she got to the main road. My life had passed before me, and it was a very uninteresting short film, more like an infomercial.

I noted that two cars back was a truck which was attempting to cross the double yellow line to see the GT. He was apparently crowded out by an SUV with a couple who appeared to want us to pull over so they could take a look.

I withheld this information from my wife; she would want to wave.

We pulled into Dunkin Donut parking lot whereupon she characterized the entire experience as "that was fun."

I was in acute-Ativan insufficiency.

(photo in gallery)

ouch,.... I asked my wife two questions before I married her, (33 years ago) and that was, can you drive a stick and do you have money? She only lied to one of the questions. The good news is she still can't drive a stick :biggrin :banana

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Now that was funny.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Thanks for Sharing!

GTMark

GT Owner
Apr 10, 2006
Great story - brings great fear just to hear those words - 'I think I'll drive darling'. My wife followed me home from restaurant last week and was amazed at the attention the car received.She said 'imagine of I was driving how people would react. Just the thought - pure terror !!!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
LMAO!!! "My left arm went numb...."

now that's funny... :thumbsup

mardyn

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Rear diffuser ?

I noticed you have no rear diffuser. Did you remove it? George

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
George:

I thought that the diffuser was an option.

Mine did not come with one.

Hmmm, what to do?

- doc

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Doc: Comes standard...Did you buy the GT new from a Ford dealer? Very strange.......George

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
eshrink,

If you do not have a diffuser on your car there is something weird. The cars all ship with the diffuser on. Therefore, someone must have removed it, likely because it was somehow damaged. I'd recommend that you contact the seller and found out what happened and also find out why they didn't say anything to you about it being removed. As a recall from a previous here on the forum, the cost of the diffuser is non-trivial!

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Cool story eshrink :biggrin

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The car was still sealed, all plastic, etc. Had not been wased.
Build date was April 24, 2006.

I am wondering if the diffuser is installed by the dealer (ground clearance) to prevent damage.

In either case, the car has no diffuser.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
The diffuser is installed by the factory.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Then, in this case, the factory simply forgot.

It would make sense, for purposes of transportation/clearance, to install the diffuser at the dealer end. If that had been the SOP, it would make sense that it is not installed since this dealer had never previously sold a GT (and the car arrived sealed, unwashed (my requirement).

The other possibility is that whoever put the GT aboard the racing trailer (they had already been unable to do so with their other trailer), took off the diffuser and set it aside, intending to put it aboard the trailer itself.

My wife was able to reach the dealership. They confirmed that no extra box(es) arrive with the car, and the fellow who loaded the car onto the trailer, removed nothing from the car. Thus, the inevitable conclusion that the factory merely forgot the diffuser.

(Note to self: Double check to see if there is a transmission)

Last edited:

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
There is no way the factory "forgot" the diffuser.

All GTs are shipped (with the diffuser installed) from the factory to the purchasing dealer by a single transport company.

If your car was then reshipped by that dealer (either to another dealer or directly to you), maybe someone removed the diffuser to facilitate loading. Or it's possible the dealer damaged the diffuser on a curb and removed it.

In any case, I'm sure it is an expensive part, and at high speeds it is a VITAL part of the aerodynamic design.

Bottom line, the dealer you bought the car from owes you a diffuser.

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
My bet would be the diffuser was removed by someone prior to transportation, after having been delivered to the originating dealer. There are too many checks/balances at the factory to let a car go without a diffuser. I have pictures of my car being offloaded from the factory-used tractor-trailer that clearly shows the diffuser. Bottomline, the selling dealer should be able to rectify the missing diffuser. Do you remember anyone (employees?) taking pictures of your car while it was at the dealer? These pictures might prove that the car arrived without a diffuser. It will help the dealer secure another one for you.

ALSO:
When you took delivery, were there two "Do Not Open" stickers? One covering the passenger door/Rear clamshell, and the other securing the front bonnet?

If the "Do Not Open" labels were not on the car, make sure you at least got the following items:

Owners manual set.

Owners manual portfolio with Ford GT logo (what the manuals are stored inside)

Large, sealed, black plastic bag containing the car cover and car cover storage bag with GT logo.

Sealed, squarish, black plastic bag (about the size of 1/2 gal ice cream) containing the battery tender.

Tire inflator located in the front bonnet storage area.

Window sticker

2 sets Ford GT logo keys, 2 key fobs.

I'm trying to make sure you get everything you're supposed to receive. My car was built close to yours, so they pretty much should be identical. My dealer touched absolutely nothing until I got there. I was able to photo document labels, protection film, etc. If you have any questions on something, I will do my best to help.

You can also try calling the Ford GT Hotline, to see what they say about the diffuser. Honestly I think they'll say it left the factory intact.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Doc-

Call the dealer. Get the diffuser. It's a must have. Car is not complete without it. If I remember right an earlier post said they go for ~$1255 and it is a critical for the aerodynamics....

Maybe your wife backed into a curb and removed it before you saw the car?

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Wife- funny!

Had a similar experience. Once I let my wife drive the GT once or twice she said, "I LIKE this car!" Good for her, bad for me. I like it too and don't really want to share. Sorry, it's just the way I'm wired.

So.....got her redirected and bought her a new ZO6 Vette. Now she "LIKES" that car too, and stays away from mine! Silly girl! :banana

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Sunday Morning - Home Trauma Event

Doc - Happy Birthday.

Near as i can tell there are NO laid back GT trips. A few blocks or many miles, doesn't seem to make any difference. Just how big was the wifes smile when she exited the GT? That's how I gage the GT "experience".

What no Starbucks in the 'hood?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Jeff:

Thanks. The GT was a birthday present from my wife. She's a great driver and even better mechanic.

You are very, very accurate...any drive in the GT is an experience; it is just a great car. The entire family is enthralled.

(I'll also like it better when the diffuser comes from Ford :bored

Status
Not open for further replies.