Sunday Morning in the new GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
In response to Nota4re:

I wish that were true. There are reasons to believe that the car may be incomplete in other ways. There are no clear signs that we are leading to resolution in any form. Indeed, aside from one hard working parts manager, there does not appear to be any effort being extended in any quarters except our own.

I doubt that I would feel appeased if the car was finally completed two weeks after delivery, but it also does not appear probable that it would occur.

We are forced to explore other recourse. Sad commentary.

- doc

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd like to know, and if possible see, what photos exist to indicate the parts were never installed. Frankly, I think someone in the delivery or dealership process is lying.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Reponse to DBK:

Please PM me a e-mail address. We have photos from the car at the point of delivery to the dealership. There are no marks in or near any bolt holes. The parts were never installed. It is poor quality control, and all attempts thus far have been to avoid accepting that reality.

The dealer, without question, is not competent to sell or service a Ford GT, but the more grave problem is the factory's avoidance, thus far, of aggressive involvement or problem resolution. It has, again thus far, been the greatest example of corporate-pass-the-buck phenomenon. They know that we know.

- doc

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
eShrink

I think you said you would not buy the car again, but try to keep seperate the idea of the car versus the problems with the dealership. You have had a unique experience (which I know doesn't help). The car will make you happy even if your present experience doesn't - keep the prespective because sh*t happens. What you are going through is an issue, but in the global scope of what you probably deal with having a problem with your new supercar is not high on the list. :willy

Just as a thought, did you have them pull up the records on the vehicle to see what work has been done, if any? For example, on some of the 2005's they did the suspension work - that should be in the service history. If anything was done, that may be why no panels.

I assume you called the trouble line that has been mentioned on the forum? Seems people have gotten quick responses from them. :thumbsup

You know that it will be corrected - you're just in a hurry because you have not been able to play with your new toy. Kind of like opening an electronic present and you have no batteries. :ack

P.S. I know a good psychologist (me) you can talk to about it. Maybe we can trade shrinkings :cheers (unless you deal with alcohol abuse :biggrin )

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
eshrink- just post them in the gallery here.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Dave:

Two of the many photos are posted in my gallery.

AZGT:

It is not possible (for me) to separate the quality control, response of the dealer, but especially the lack of the responsiveness from the factory from the car itself. Everyone of importance other than Bill Ford (who may have been at a black tie affair) knows of the situation, regionally and now nationally. In turn, all have passed the (buck?) information onto someone else. There is no single person willing to accept responsibility to resolve the situation...it merely continues to be passed.

Actually, I am not at all impatient. It became clear, however, during the first day that no one wanted, or planned, to accept responsibility. The further one gets from the onset of an event, the more improbable is a satisfactory resolution.

If this is the Pace Car for an Entire Company, then so be it. It is a nice car, but it is just a car. The rest of the transaction is business with all of its legal ramifications. (The car is a 2006. It arrived with all seals intact except the driver's door)

- doc

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It is not possible (for me) to separate the quality control, response of the dealer, but especially the lack of the responsiveness from the factory from the car itself.

Maybe one of your colleagues could help you with that :biggrin

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Sadly, I have to agree with the doc on this one about the car not being done in a timely manner or him ever being happy with it.
This bad situation could've been recitified immediately and made all parties involved look the better for it. However, it appears that not to be the case.
Even if it does get cleared up the in near future, whatever you may consider that to be, the sting of the problem will forever linger. It won't be something that you can forget that easily after you fork over such $$$$$ for a car and not get one completely built and nobody wanting to take responsibility for it. If it were a Focus or Fusion it would be understandable but not the flagship model car of an entire company.
Do you think you would ever hear of a story like this happening at Ferrari to an Enzo owner??? Granted the prices of the cars aren't in the same league but the are both at the top of the food chain for their respective brands.
How about a Carrera GT over at the Porsche store. I think not there either.
There should be an internal investigation into how something like these could get thru so many quality controls and inspections. Whomever is responsible for that particular task in the building of the cars should be reprimanded in some fashion.
I know when a car company changes vendors, or has a recall they pretty much have dates down or VIN's to use to find out which cars are going to be affected by it. The same must be true of this.
Since they are only building a set number of them, they should already have those parts in house ready to be installed. One unit of each per car at a certain build stage. Find out how many of those parts are left, how many cars currently in actual production and see if the numbers match. If they don't then locate the cars with VIN's already produced and see if they are complete or not. There may be other cars out there with the same problem that just hasn't been discovered yet. If the parts do match the cars then someone might've taken one home as a coffee table or work bench.
I would fully expect FMC to take the car back and offer a replacement of your choice or ask you what it can do to make it right. Someone high up HAS to understand the gravity of this whole deal. I think just bolting on the parts at this point isn't satisfactory.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
92NSX:

More examination of the car this afternoon reveals yet another problem: the side "splitters" (black running down the sides of the car) are not bolted (fasteners missing) into place. The fasteners in the middle of each have never been attached.

- doc

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
And the problems continue....... :frown

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
All,

Is there something we (the forum members) can do collectively on behalf of eShrink such as a letter writing campaign to SVT or Ford? I mean, this situation is ridiculous if not heart wrenching.

Maybe DBK or another forum member with connections to the Ford GT apparatchiks can help.

Eric

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Quality Control ????

One hell of a big crack for a GT to slip through.

:confused
:willy
:bs
:thumbsdow
:ack
:bang :bang :bang

:confused :mad :skep

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
EasyEric:

I believe that Ford's greatest (perhaps only) concern was that the unfinished condition of my GT would become publically known.

If they care (and they may not...certainly no current evidence that they do), one would reasonably assume that they do not want negative publicity as they sell off remaining inventory.

But if you look back over the last several decades of the American car manufacturing, there have been many actions which have defied logic or rational thought.

I am grateful that this Forum exists since it was only here that the problems were immediately detected. Does Ford care what impression these problems convey to the public? We do not know. Do they see posts in these Forums as a call to action? I certainly do not know.

Maybe this should be a sticky post; it certainly has garnered enough "reads".

Oh, my Door Ajar light came on this evening. Likely not a big deal; I can likely just shoot it.

I suppose that the Corvette was a viable alternative until the roofs blew off. :usa

- doc

Last edited:

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
Is the side splitter hole where the fastener is missing a "common" hole also used by one of the missing panels?

Door ajar light - in addition to a door, it could be the front or rear hatch. I'm very gentle with my doors and hatches, so I get the light occasionally myself. It's only lit for me when something wasn't closed properly.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
White Petunia:

The missing fasteners in the side splitters are likely common holes where the rest of the car should have been attached.

I tried both the clamshell and the front "trunk" to rid myself of the door light, but it did not help. That was my thinking as well.

It is a very entertaining car.

Heavens, what if Ford had to actually replace it with a complete car?

- doc

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
eshrink said:
Heavens, what if Ford had to actually replace it with a complete car?

- doc

That is what should happen IMO.
I've seen on MANY FMC vehicles that the 'door ajar' switch goes bad very quickly. It is a very common problem.
Once again though, just confirming that you made the right choice :frown

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
eshrink said:
The missing fasteners in the side splitters are likely common holes where the rest of the car should have been attached.

That makes me think all the panels were on the car at one point. If they hadn't, then the common holes would have had fasteners in them.

Just my $.02

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Just sitting here and thought of something humorous.
Nobody on here has physcially seen you car, only in photos. Yet, they were able to detect that parts were missing off of it. BUT the people that built the dang thing didn't know it. :confused

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
92NSX said:
Just sitting here and thought of something humorous.
Nobody on here has physcially seen you car, only in photos. Yet, they were able to detect that parts were missing off of it. BUT the people that built the dang thing didn't know it. :confused

This is no excuse, but it reminds me of a story involving my best friend at his wedding. People kept coming up to me asking me if I noticed something different about the groom. I looked at my friend and then said to the guests I didn't notice anything different. Well, he had shaved off his beard for the wedding. A beard that he'd had for several years. I didn't notice it because I had known him without a beard, so the sight was nothing strange to me. If the panel was left off at the factory, then maybe it wasn't noticed because the people there were used to seeing them without undertrays and thought nothing of it. Again, this is not an excuse, but just a possible explanation of why it wasn't noticed.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Entire thread should likely be renamed "Ford GT Lemon" and be made a sticky. Unlikely.

No, none of the missing parts were ever on the car. It is simply a defective build. They knew, and passively appeared to acknowledge this, several days ago. At this stage, however, there does not appear to be any attempt to offer a fair and reasonable solution.

Solution for us would be: a. buy-back (so that we may be out of the GT experience entirely) or, less appealing, b. transport in a new car (we make color choice).

Neither of these are likely to occur without pursuing legal recourse. So be it.

Our only advocate outside of this forum has been one lonely parts manager, with no previously GT exposure, who has worked diligently to estimate which parts are missing. For him, also, it must be a thankless task.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.