Shoud I buy a Superformance GT 40 Heritage ??

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Welcome to the site SEMA Guy, please feel free to introduce yourself and your GT.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/65-New-members-WTB-Searching

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
In that regard catch Seinfeld' comedians in cars getting coffee where the Deloreon breaks down. Favorite line "Johnny Carson and Sammy Davis Jr were investors of a car made in Belfast -- what could go wrong". ( paraphrase)

'Johnny Carson monolog line in reference to HIS DeLorean (and this may not be word-for-word): "Well, I guess you've heard about the storm damage in Malibu. I have good news and bad news with regard to that. The GOOD news is all I lost was my carport. The BAD news is...my De Lorean floats."

I sure miss that guy...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Looks great. Have fun.

Not sure I have ever seen the words " big Delorean dealer."

In that regard catch Seinfeld' comedians in cars getting coffee where the Deloreon breaks down. Favorite line "Johnny Carson and Sammy Davis Jr were investors of a car made in Belfast -- what could go wrong". ( paraphrase)

...and financed by cocaine sales.

Spectacular GT40! Congratulations!

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
JBM,

My Kirkhan 427SC Cobra had 4 Webber's on it's 427 FE. They looked really bitchin' but there were two big problems. They made big power but not smoothly. They were like an on/off switch. All or nothing. My Cobra would idle and it would go like hell at WOT. But at part throttle it would stumble no matter how much tuning we did. Next problem....they HATE any type of air cleaners. Even a loose screen killed a lot of power. Driving in AZ on our dry roads with lots of dust getting sucked into my $40,000.00 Keith Craft 427 was really distressing. I finally gave up and went with a 4-bbl Holley carb. The engine made the same max power but it was smooth and ran great with a K&N filter.

I love the look of Webber's but they are a major PITA. I would never attempt that again. Cheers.

Chip
What he said!
Had the same issues with my Pantera.
Finally went with the Holley.
Mark

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Hey Jeff are you buying the incoming one that Tony has coming in with right hand drive? Tony is a great guy, that is who I was talking to about the eight stack fuel injection. Is the car that you referenced at Tony's the actual car you are getting, or is that the one they sold a a month or so ago? I love the look of that car and just missed seeing it by a few weeks when I stopped by.

Can't wait to hear your impressions once you get yours.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Also curious how one gets 550 hp from a carbureted 302 and gets it to spin to 7,500 rpm.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Also curious how one gets 550 hp from a carbureted 302 and gets it to spin to 7,500 rpm.

There are several unscrupulous engine builders that add 100 HP or more to their dyno sheets for customer bragging rights, a naturally aspirated, streetable old school 5 liter Ford is not going to make 550.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark

I think it normally requires it to be stroked + all the trimmings ...... when we really max out our vintage race smallblocks - max 289 x 0.40 overbore, then 410-430 hp seems to be the absolute max. - at least keeping it fairly within FIA specs. Cobra Automotive does claim that upwards 550 is possible, but then it´s an all out race engine with lot´s of trick parts and mods.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I think it normally requires it to be stroked + all the trimmings ...... when we really max out our vintage race smallblocks - max 289 x 0.40 overbore, then 410-430 hp seems to be the absolute max. - at least keeping it fairly within FIA specs. Cobra Automotive does claim that upwards 550 is possible, but then it´s an all out race engine with lot´s of trick parts and mods.

They also use 110 leaded race gas, not practical in a street car.

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL
The engine is the Roush " Anvil " race motor and the car comes with the actual dyno sheet that states the power . My 2001 Z06 has 487 RWHP without any bore or stroke increase , so it certainly can be done . Jeff

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL
I hope to have the car by Thursday so I can attend the Track day event by Brian Redman " Targa 66 " , I am sure it will be the hit of the weekend . I am also a member of the Palm Beach Driving club and we run every Wednesday nite from 6 PM to 10 PM and I would like to invite any forum member to come out and be my guest . We have a nice catered dinner and everyone brings very cool cars ( race or street ) . I promise you will have a great time , Jeff

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
The engine is the Roush " Anvil " race motor and the car comes with the actual dyno sheet that states the power . My 2001 Z06 has 487 RWHP without any bore or stroke increase , so it certainly can be done . Jeff
I believe all the "Anvil" engines are over 5 liters, so they can make that kind of power. The GM LS engines are a world class design that cranks out gobs of power per CID, (your Z06 was at least 5.7 liters) much better than the Ford push rod small blocks, the only thing better are the Ford Modular designs and they are fairly close in output per CID. Copenhagen GT was referring to 289-302 engine displacements, as I am sure you have heard, size matters.

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
As far as I can read on the web, the Roush Anvil is a 10:1 comp 364 cubic inch engine ..... not a 302

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I was just reacting to the specs, which say something like "period correct 302," and never heard of that much power or rpm from the old school small block.

I'm sure the power is, as Bentley would say, "adequate."

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL
Yes , I saw that . Engine looks like a 302 with the Gurney Eagle valve covers , nice to have old school looks with modern components .
I was just reacting to the specs, which say something like "period correct 302," and never heard of that much power or rpm from the old school small block.

I'm sure the power is, as Bentley would say, "adequate."

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I hope to have the car by Thursday so I can attend the Track day event by Brian Redman " Targa 66 " , I am sure it will be the hit of the weekend . I am also a member of the Palm Beach Driving club and we run every Wednesday nite from 6 PM to 10 PM and I would like to invite any forum member to come out and be my guest . We have a nice catered dinner and everyone brings very cool cars ( race or street ) . I promise you will have a great time , Jeff

Brian Redman is a great guy to share a drink with. We had him at a small table this last September in Eureka Springs Arkansas for the Crescent Classic Road Rallye. He just stopped by to chat, and we peppered him with questions for the next hour and a half. Amazing stories of driving Chapparrals, Lolas, and about every form of racing you can do. Ask him about the scariest race car he ever drove. (Hint, the long tailed Porsche 917) and the wild 230mph ride down the Mulsanne Straight, trying to keep it on the road. Hope you get some time with Brian !

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL
Yes , I met him years ago at a Ferrari event and he is quite the character . I hope to get him to sign the new GT 40 .

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We had a Superformance Cobra at Sarasota Cafe Racers lunch today. Small block with 4 Webers. No air cleaners, just screens. Talked to him about the discussion here. He said it runs great. Better than the Holley he had, because the Holley didn't have a choke. I'll post a pic later.

Edit: Feel free to tell me I'm off base, because I am not an engineer. Still, it seems to me that if you are running carburetion with one barrel per cylinder, then intake manifold design is critical. How to balance jetting with intake runner length. Shorter tubes run rich, while longer tubes run lean. Often see Webers adapted to less than optimal manifold design.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'd say these are worth some effort, if you can get them working right.

5D3_6556.jpg

5D3_6555.jpg