Shoud I buy a Superformance GT 40 Heritage ??

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
LukeWW, next time I need a definition made up to make me look like I'm right, I will give you a shout.... :)
We will agree to disagree. Not trying to start an argument with you, but I'm gonna say you will be outvoted on this topic.

There are different levels of kit cars, no doubt.

Last edited:

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
There is a huge difference between a properly engineered product that has all systems tested, verified and relevant areas certified to meet or exceed NHTSA standards and a Chinese copy of a 1960's race car.
Yes, I know the car came from South Africa but you get the idea, there is absolutely no comparison between the two vehicles in terms of engineering or quality.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
For some reason the only cars I see at car shows that have signs on them saying that "This is not a kit car" are made by Superformance, Factory Five etc. Never seen a similar sign on a GT , real Cobra etc.

There is some real sensitivity on the topic.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
There is a huge difference between a properly engineered product that has all systems tested, verified and relevant areas certified to meet or exceed NHTSA standards and a Chinese copy of a 1960's race car.
Yes, I know the car came from South Africa but you get the idea, there is absolutely no comparison between the two vehicles in terms of engineering or quality.
I have no idea where you come up with Chinese copy and no I don't get the idea. My Smiths gauges all work. My halfshafts bolts have not sheared off. And Ford could not produce the FGT in the year 2014 because guess what… is could not meet NHTSA standards. This thread will go just like the threads on FChat went and soon people will be getting their undies in a bunch as I get the best of them. No thanks. Enjoy your loose copies of my car lol.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Wikipedia synopsis on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_car

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Thanks for the link. I made the appropriate edits on the page which was clearly written by someone who did not understand the topic.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
I think the irony about this thread is that it was started by a forum member who owns a GT and is considering buying a Superformance GT40. (i.e. he appreciates both cars for what they are). I don't see the need to bash one car to show appreciation for another. Kit car or not, these are two very different cars… we can all agree on that. I checked out your p2161.com link….what a nice machine…hope to one day have a chance to drive one. In the meantime, you should drive the FGT again to remind you just how amazing a car it is…..just saying'
:wink

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I am considering a second GT and it looks like Superformance offers a real nice package with the GT 40 continuation series Heritage . The car I would spec has a 302 Roush racing motor 550 HP, webbers , Gurney valve covers , full Bundle headers , off and on road exhausts , wide body , Gulf livery , A/C , wide Avon tires with painted Halibrand Wheels . Car would be about 150 to 160 K and I would use it for track and shows . I own a 2005 White / Blue also , however the Heritage is way cool ! I sold my Heritage GT last year ( A little to soon ) Anyone have any experience with this company ? Thanks, Jeff
http://superformance.com/

Excluding the very high end replicas, Superformance is the way to go. The cars are built well. Picking the right builder is key, hence the Olthoff recommendations. I'm sorry I didn't buy one when the economy tanked, as nice ones were available below $100k.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There is some real sensitivity on the topic.

I've never understood it either. It's not like "kit car" is inherently pejorative.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
kitt.JPG

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
K.I.T.T. car. Very clever

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
The SPF GT 40's are gorgeous. They had 4-5 at DenBeste that I was able to gawk at. Would love to get one some day as well.

Vince H

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
We can argue about the meaning of Kit Cars all day long and noone will ever agree. When I hear the terms I have visions of boxes of parts showing up on the driveway and someone ripping the body off a donor mustang and putting on all the fiberglass pieces on and then trying to get all the seams correct and having a finished product that doesn't look like, well, it was put together as a kit.

The Superformance, Shelby continuation, Kirkham, etc, cars are much better than that. They are finished complete vehicles except for power train, called a "Roller". SPF makes many different styles of rollers, including a Corvette Gran Sport. There are some of the Cobras that are true kits, and some manufactures will do either. Factory Five is one. I have seen some HORRIBLE Factory Five cars (e.g., fiberglass mesh on fiberglass showing through the paint).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am considering a second GT and it looks like Superformance offers a real nice package with the GT 40 continuation series Heritage . The car I would spec has a 302 Roush racing motor 550 HP, webbers , Gurney valve covers , full Bundle headers , off and on road exhausts , wide body , Gulf livery , A/C , wide Avon tires with painted Halibrand Wheels . Car would be about 150 to 160 K and I would use it for track and shows . I own a 2005 White / Blue also , however the Heritage is way cool ! I sold my Heritage GT last year ( A little to soon ) Anyone have any experience with this company ? Thanks, Jeff

http://superformance.com/

Now for the part that has been hinted at but not well called out. If you had a Ford GT (which is civilized modern vehicle) and thinking that you're going to replace it with any 1960's GT40 replica you really need to get a level set. They are race cars. There are no creature comforts. You don't get it it you put it on. It will shake, rattle and roll your innards. It is impossible to have a conversation with your passenger while the car is running. Their suspensions are harsh - you can drive over a quarter and tell if it is heads or tails. Due to the cramped quarters your passenger will think your are nuts and likely bring kidnapping and torture charges against you with the FBI within 5 minutes.

Mike (Luke Warmwater) can tell you the experience of a GT40, and I can also tell you from experience that the Cobra replicas are the same. Then to the power trains. The engines are all 60's style technology (even if you put DFI on it, it's still 60's). They are a tinkerer's dream and a driver's nightmare as every time you drive it you will find something else to do. (Either by choice or because they have problems.) It seemed my Cobra was built with many extraneous bolts and nuts as almost every week there would be another on the garage floor or driveway, with no sign of where it came from and no sign that anything was wrong. Maybe they grow little spare parts and heal themselves and then if they aren't needed, discard them. Or the poop bolts.

The engines are still 60's engines and will have the issues that a 60's engine had after the same amount of time. Some of them have had real issues with oil usage, etc. Especially Roush. There are lots of people who really think that the Carroll Shelby engines (all aluminum block "recreations" are among the best though and because their machining is close toleranced have a better longer term (still not 200K mile) reliability.

Note also that as race engines, they are not happy unless they are running at about 6000-7000 RPM. I had a Roush427IR (the fuel injected small block (351 Windsor based)) in my Cobra and on the street it always felt like it was lugging down. Like I said, I'd run it at higher RPMs in lower gears just to get it going.

They also squeak, rattle and roll...

This is just to be certain you know what you are getting in to. They are NOT A SECOND FORD GT. That said, they are great cars. I've seen Mike's many times and love it. (Also observe they are not back trouble friendly.)

If you start to seriously consider one you should seek out Olthoff and spend some seat time in one.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I like the GT40 kit cars & almost bought a completed ERA with a fuel injected 427 but then the real FGTs came out.

I still believe the SPF is a kit car. The pieces are assembled by someone for you & then you find someone to build & install the drivetrain & engine. Not really a full on production car sold by a company with a decent dealer support network.

In California it is a challenge to license kit cars for street use. I think they only allow 500 a year to be licensed. That's why kit cars here, that are licensed, sell for $5-10K more than unplated ones.

Ed

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I won't even entertain the "kit car" discussion.
I have an Olthoff built SPF Cobra from 1996.
It has seen many miles and has never failed to delight me or the public!
It's 505 CI big block spits raw gas out the pipes at idle.
It's perfect!
Why divide the car guys?
Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, and let everybody be happy.
Just my thoughts........
Best,
Mark

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...There are no creature comforts. You don't get it it you put it on. It will shake, rattle and roll your innards. It is impossible to have a conversation with your passenger while the car is running. Their suspensions are harsh - you can drive over a quarter and tell if it is heads or tails. Due to the cramped quarters your passenger will think your are nuts....They are a tinkerer's dream and a driver's nightmare as every time you drive it you will find something else to do. (...because they have problems.)...built with many extraneous bolts and nuts as almost every week there would be another on the garage floor or driveway, with no sign of where it came from and no sign that anything was wrong. Maybe they grow little spare parts and heal themselves and then if they aren't needed, discard ....

With this slight editing, it is a perfect description of my 1955 Austin Healey! British design & parts, Lucas (lots of smoke) electrics, weak drum brakes!

View attachment 32848

But, by God, if I could have it back - I'd take it in a second! :thumbsup :thumbsup

It wasn't a kit, it was a production nightmare - and probably the most beautiful nightmare I ever had! When it wasn't running, I was working on it. But I kept it running because I loved it.

If you think you'll love a car, or even "Might" love a car - buy it and enjoy it.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like the GT40 kit cars & almost bought a completed ERA with a fuel injected 427 but then the real FGTs came out.

I still believe the SPF is a kit car. The pieces are assembled by someone for you & then you find someone to build & install the drivetrain & engine. Not really a full on production car sold by a company with a decent dealer support network.

In California it is a challenge to license kit cars for street use. I think they only allow 500 a year to be licensed. That's why kit cars here, that are licensed, sell for $5-10K more than unplated ones.

Ed

The first year of SB100 registrations they ran out. They haven't gotten close the last few years.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Everyone has the car that makes them happy so live and let live. I really could not care less what someone on the internet labels my GT40. I've had a lot of cars including a beautiful FGT that I loved. When I slide in the seat of the GT40 and press the go button lighting off that 427, nothing and I mean nothing even comes close. You all have an open invitation to come check it out and go for a ride the next time you're in Colorado. Hell, I might even bring it to Vegas if that's where the rally will be just to show you all what you're missing lol.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love all cars that are cool - both the kit cars & the real production cars. I would own & drive them both. Why be hung up on labels?

Ed