Shoud I buy a Superformance GT 40 Heritage ??

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL
I am considering a second GT and it looks like Superformance offers a real nice package with the GT 40 continuation series Heritage . The car I would spec has a 302 Roush racing motor 550 HP, webbers , Gurney valve covers , full Bundle headers , off and on road exhausts , wide body , Gulf livery , A/C , wide Avon tires with painted Halibrand Wheels . Car would be about 150 to 160 K and I would use it for track and shows . I own a 2005 White / Blue also , however the Heritage is way cool ! I sold my Heritage GT last year ( A little to soon ) Anyone have any experience with this company ? Thanks, Jeff

http://superformance.com/

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I would consider the fuel injection system that looks like the webbers. I spoke to the SPF dealer in Bonita Springs, FL and that is what he recommends. Much more reliable and easy to work with then the webbers. I think it adds $8-10,000 to the cost of a build from Roush, but he thought it was worth it. They look fantastic, he had a Roush motor with this set up that was going into a Cobra. I have thought about the SPF car a lot too, and it would be my choice of the next "toy". If set up correctly, it would be a blast to track. Olthoff racing in North Carolina apparently is the place to go if you want one set up properly for the track. They are an SPF dealer too.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Joyride aka Team Jeff had his SPF GT40 at our last Rally. He would be a good resource. My recommendation on any kit car is buy it used after the bugs are worked out & it is licensed for your state. It may not be 100% what you want but it'll be less of a headache.

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
May I suggest you check out Keith Craft engines B4U go the Roush route?

Too may people I know have had 'issues' with Roush engines leaking oil...as well as a few other pblms.

You might ask around re: whom those in your particular 'car group' might recommend.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Joyride aka Team Jeff had his SPF GT40 at our last Rally. He would be a good resource. My recommendation on any kit car is buy it used after the bugs are worked out & it is licensed for your state. It may not be 100% what you want but it'll be less of a headache.

Ed

Yikes. Don't let Mike (Luke Warmwater) hear you say it's a 'kit car'. He's on here more than Jeff and would be a good person to ask about SPF GT40's.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Haha no more of a kit car than the vaulted FGT

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would consider the fuel injection system that looks like the webbers.
. . .
Olthoff racing in North Carolina apparently is the place to go if you want one set up properly for the track. They are an SPF dealer too.

I strongly agree with both of these recommendations. Olthoff is the only person I would have build a SPF.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
And Olthoff will tell you to carb it :)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Does SPF themselves not build or sell complete cars?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
They only sell complete cars minus drivetrain which is where Dennis comes into play. My suggestion to anyone considering one is find someone that has one and will take you for a ride. They are not anything like an FGT.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would do lots 9f homework on the rough -IR series engines. I had one based on the accel dfi system and it was a disaster. I've heard they changed to another

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Does SPF themselves not build or sell complete cars?

spf Shelby continuation factory five are all sold without power train. Else they are a manufacturer and have to meet modern safety rules. It wouldn't look anything like original.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My suggestion to anyone considering one is find someone that has one and will take you for a ride. They are not anything like an FGT.

Bingo on both counts.

If you have any tendency at all toward claustrophobia, a GT40 probably will not be a 'comfy' car for you from that standpoint alone. A ride in one will determine that for you one way or the other. Trust me on that one. :wink

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

What are you talking about??? The 05/06 Ford GT is NOT A KIT CAR. Are you mental? It is most certainly a production car that was built by FoMoCo. Nobody is trying to knock kit cars, but let's call things what they really are...

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

*vaunted*

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
What are you talking about??? The 05/06 Ford GT is NOT A KIT CAR. Are you mental? It is most certainly a production car that was built by FoMoCo. Nobody is trying to knock kit cars, but let's call things what they really are...

By that you mean a robot built production line car or a hand built super car? The red one you sold me actually had the signatures of two guys on the engine plate so I assume it was hand built just as the Superformance cars are hand built and assembled in South Africa. I agree, lets call things what they really are and the production of the FGT and a SPF GT40 varies nary a wit! Do you know what a kit car is?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
*vaunted*

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Thank you, no need to apologize.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Do you know what a kit car is?

I think that is a better question for you my friend. You have a very nice car, no doubt, but its built as a rolling chassis, as in, does not come with a motor! In my book, its a kit car. That doesn't make it a bad thing, but it is what it is....

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
You remember building models as a kid? You opened up the box and all the parts were attached together a couple of plastic molds. You separated them and begin to glue stuff together. You bought a couple bottles of Testors model paint and a couple weeks later you had an assembled car usually not nearly as nice as the one on the cover of the box? That's a kit car Shelby. There are several manufactures of kit cars. Factory Five Racing, RCR, and several others. A Superformance GT40 is a hand built car that is assembled in South Africa by a company called Hi Tech Automotive. They are factory painted, come fully assembled with all drivetrain mounts in place and ready for a 427W Ford. Roush Racing actually makes at least two engines specifically designed to drop in to the SPF GT40 that come with a special pulley system and hardware just for the SPF car. The only reason as was pointed out above they do not enter the states with a drivetrain is because they would be subjected to DOT regulations that they clearly would never meet. I hope this helps clarify your misunderstanding of what a kit car is. Here would be an example of a kit car. Refer back to the model car analogy above as it would apply here.

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/mk4-roadster/base-kit/what-you-get/

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My definition kit car is one that doesn't meet these requirements.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/index.html

I don't think Luke's car meets them.