Shoud I buy a Superformance GT 40 Heritage ??

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I would consider the fuel injection system that looks like the webbers. I spoke to the SPF dealer in Bonita Springs, FL and that is what he recommends. Much more reliable and easy to work with then the webbers. I think it adds $8-10,000 to the cost of a build from Roush, but he thought it was worth it. They look fantastic, he had a Roush motor with this set up that was going into a Cobra. I have thought about the SPF car a lot too, and it would be my choice of the next "toy". If set up correctly, it would be a blast to track. Olthoff racing in North Carolina apparently is the place to go if you want one set up properly for the track. They are an SPF dealer too.

yep. go fuel injected and a roller cam engine set up for pump gas, unless you are prepared and want to deal with race gas. You may also want to consider fuel cells.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I love all cars that are cool - both the kit cars & the real production cars. I would own & drive them both. Why be hung up on labels?

Ed
Agreed

Here's an SPF tub on the production line in South Africa. Built to original specifications. You can have one too but it's about a year's wait these days. There may be up to a couple hundred of them in the world now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
A kit car is by definition a car that has some assembly required. Big deal. I love my GT for what it is. I would surely like to have a Superformance to my specs.

Some kits are not even kits the way they are designed and sold. My Cobra started as a Factory Five kit. The chassis, suspension, exhaust, fuel tank, etc., are all custom designed or modified and not FFR. You cannot buy my engine or transmission off the shelf. The only thing left that is really FFR is the body, and that may change. It is more like a competition engine/chassis with a FFR body. It is now in its second generation of revision and I hope to have it on the street/track in a couple more months.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now for the part that has been hinted at but not well called out. If you had a Ford GT (which is civilized modern vehicle) and thinking that you're going to replace it with any 1960's GT40 replica you really need to get a level set. They are race cars. There are no creature comforts. You don't get it it you put it on. It will shake, rattle and roll your innards. It is impossible to have a conversation with your passenger while the car is running. Their suspensions are harsh - you can drive over a quarter and tell if it is heads or tails. Due to the cramped quarters your passenger will think your are nuts and likely bring kidnapping and torture charges against you with the FBI within 5 minutes.

Mike (Luke Warmwater) can tell you the experience of a GT40, and I can also tell you from experience that the Cobra replicas are the same. Then to the power trains. The engines are all 60's style technology (even if you put DFI on it, it's still 60's). They are a tinkerer's dream and a driver's nightmare as every time you drive it you will find something else to do. (Either by choice or because they have problems.) It seemed my Cobra was built with many extraneous bolts and nuts as almost every week there would be another on the garage floor or driveway, with no sign of where it came from and no sign that anything was wrong. Maybe they grow little spare parts and heal themselves and then if they aren't needed, discard them. Or the poop bolts.

The engines are still 60's engines and will have the issues that a 60's engine had after the same amount of time. Some of them have had real issues with oil usage, etc. Especially Roush. There are lots of people who really think that the Carroll Shelby engines (all aluminum block "recreations" are among the best though and because their machining is close toleranced have a better longer term (still not 200K mile) reliability.

Note also that as race engines, they are not happy unless they are running at about 6000-7000 RPM. I had a Roush427IR (the fuel injected small block (351 Windsor based)) in my Cobra and on the street it always felt like it was lugging down. Like I said, I'd run it at higher RPMs in lower gears just to get it going.

They also squeak, rattle and roll...

This is just to be certain you know what you are getting in to. They are NOT A SECOND FORD GT. That said, they are great cars. I've seen Mike's many times and love it. (Also observe they are not back trouble friendly.)

If you start to seriously consider one you should seek out Olthoff and spend some seat time in one.

W. Mitty couldn't compose a more accurate 'review'! (The only thing you might have included was a brief 'FYI' for those with arthritis or claustrophobia. :wink)

Neither Mikey nor GT38 (Richard B.) would contest a darn thing you said. I doubt any other GT40 owner would either. The SPF GT40s are accurate, faithful reproductions of '60s race cars and, as such, they come with all the same 'baggage' that came with their ancestors.

Regardless - they provide every bit the RUSH a FGT does...'just provide it with less comfort (except for A/C!)...quite a bit less, actually! :lol :cheers

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
W. Mitty couldn't compose a more accurate 'review'! (The only thing you might have included was a brief 'FYI' for those with arthritis or claustrophobia. :wink)

I mentioned back issues but add those to it :)

I had a Shelby Cobra (CSX4000 series) and every time I got in it for more than an hour it felt like someone had been beating my kidneys with a rubber mallet. :) I loved it, my wife hated it.

If you want to find a compromise but still want a vintage race car at heart, try the new CSX9000 Daytona Coupes. These have been greatly refined from the days of the SPF coupe. They now have windows (electric), the foot box is straightened a little (it still has an offset from seat to pedals, but not as much as the old ones or the Cobras), and if you don't go with what they want to do do the original 289 sized engine (302 would be ok), then you have a car that will still handle well, but be much more civilized on the street. I was offered their first production alloy body for 200K with power plant, but the wife considered it just a Cobra with a hard top so we went with the Ford GT instead.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

This argument has been going on forever and it's as big a waste of time as trying to change someone's political opinion. I owned a Kirkham 427 S/C that was built complete like the SPF GT40 without an engine and trans. When asked if it was an original I replied that it was aluminum like the originals but that it was a kit car. My Glasair III is a kit plane. My old 69 Trans Am doesn't meet today's MVD standards but that doesn't make it a kit car. If my business ever returns to normal I'd like to buy a SPF GT40. If I owned one I'd call it a kit car when asked but hey, you can call it a "continuation car" or a "reproduction" or a ham sandwich for all I care. When asked about my Cobra most people wanted to know if it was one of the ~4000 1960's originals. If it's not it's a kit/reproduction/whatever.

When asked if a repro GT40 is a kit car most questioners want to know if it's one of the 134 1960's originals as well. Saying the Ford GT is as much of a kit car as the SPF GT40 is quite a stretch and I don't think you'll find too many auto enthusiasts who buy into that.

All that said, I've driven both the GT and the SPF GT40 both on the track and on the street. I am a tight squeeze in the SPF and all things considered I like the GT better for both purposes. Cheers.

Chip

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
SPF (or other) GT40 would be a lot of fun if you lived in a place with open roads and no traffic lights. Most of us don't have that. It's a race car. Pretty much all race cars are kit cars.

Mine is bigger than yours is really goofy.

So, I'm glad you love your unraced race car in Colorado with all the video of open road and what looks like pulling 0.37G on public road curves. It's not better. It's just something else.

Show us some track video.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd like to buy a SPF GT40. If I owned one I'd call it a kit car when asked but hey, you can call it a "continuation car" or a "reproduction" or a ham sandwich for all I care.

But there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between what a customer receives when he orders a Superformance GT40 when compared to almost any other "kit car". The SPF arrives whole - completely assembled...painted, upholstered, wired, A/C installed, all glass in place, 'gauges are in place - everything. Even the wheels and tires are in place. The only thing left to do is install the engine and transaxle, hook up the wiring/controls, fill the fluids and turn the key. That would not qualify as a "kit car" in the eyes of most. (IOW, the buyer doesn't receive a bunch of boxes and shipping crates and assembly instructions as is the case with a true kit car. There's no "kit" involved.) So, IMHO, it truly is in a category all its own.

It isn't a true "reproduction" car either because it has no identical-to-factory-issued, model specific engine/tranny, or brakes, or options, etc., etc. - and it isn't 'turn key'.

What would I call it? I dunno. I guess I'd call it an 'incomplete pseudo reproduction'!

:cheers

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
SPF (or other) GT40 would be a lot of fun if you lived in a place with open roads and no traffic lights. Most of us don't have that. It's a race car. Pretty much all race cars are kit cars.

Mine is bigger than yours is really goofy.

So, I'm glad you love your unraced race car in Colorado with all the video of open road and what looks like pulling 0.37G on public road curves. It's not better. It's just something else.

Show us some track video.

Why do you continue to direct stupid remarks at me? Get lost...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Bahahaha!

BTW...how do you edit your comment without it showing as edited? That's a neat trick.

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
All that said, I've driven both the GT and the SPF GT40 both on the track and on the street. I am a tight squeeze in the SPF and all things considered I like the GT better for both purposes. Cheers.

Chip
How much seat time in the SPF? What are some of the comparisons you were able to draw? I've wondered many times how they would stack up in a capable drivers hands.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
you can call it a "continuation car" or a "reproduction" or a ham sandwich for all I care.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh, Chip. I will forever associate your car with a tasty slice of pork between two slices of rye.

Why do you continue to direct stupid remarks at me? Get lost...

Bahahaha!

BTW...how do you edit your comment without it showing as edited? That's a neat trick.

Let's be adults....um.....mature.....errr...ok, will settle for civil. Forgot who I was talking to for a sec.:facepalm:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I hear ya Ed. If someone wants to argue about whats a kit and whats not or what a car is worth or not its all good. You want to make it personal like whoever this guy is then get lost. My car is a race car/toy/weekend cruiser. It get's enjoyed plenty I can assure you. One of these days I'll get it out at a track day or open road race, Right now its in a million pieces in the garage because it's something I enjoy doing with it in the winter when it's put up. The videos I make frankly are just for me. I enjoy watching them in February when there's 3 feet of snow on the ground and I need something to get me fired up to go out in the garage and pull hubs and wheel bearings for some fresh grease.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You want to make it personal like whoever this guy is then get lost.

You constantly stick your finger in the eyes of others, so what do you expect? Let's practice the Golden Rule and all will be good.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Now that this thread has completely run of the rails and been destroyed. Nice work everyone...

Luke - play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I tire of seeing the bait and then dealing with the indignation when someone takes it.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Where's the bait? I argue the SPF is not a kit car. I have been going out of my way to try and keep any hint of personal attack against other forum members from anything I say. I'll go back and read this thread again but I don't think I've called anyone mental or made disparaging comments about what or how they drive.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
On second thought, I'll just take a vacation. I'm not really into back patting I suppose and I'm sure there's lot of people on here who view my perspective as a poke in the eye. I enjoy a good debate on cars and even a colorful one. I don't find it that engaging when people call names or take personal shots. Pockets, I'm sorry for the shots I take at you. It's in good fun and my offer stands anytime you're down this direction. I hope the FGT is worth a million dollars in few years. If not, maybe I'll be like you Dave on FChat and drop in every once in awhile to see how things are going. Have fun guys...

jbmracer

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2013
Delray Beach , FL
Well I have enjoyed the spirited conversation on this topic and am very glad I asked the question . The SPF GT 40 is commonly listed as a continuation of the 1966 car and has a proper serial number and is listed in the Shelby log . I do think that SPF builds the best quality continuation cars and I will enjoy driving it on the road and the track . I race a Radical in Florida , so I am sure that the tight cockpit and a few squeeks and rattles will not be of great concern . I also will be running VP 103 Unleaded race fuel at all times and hopefully wont have much trouble with the Webbers . I should have the car next week and I will report on my satisfaction level as soon as I get some seat time . We all have different definitions of the car , but I know when I see one it makes my heart race ! Thanks for all of the information , this is truly an outstanding forum and I am glad to be a part of it . Jeff

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Well I have enjoyed the spirited conversation on this topic and am very glad I asked the question . The SPF GT 40 is commonly listed as a continuation of the 1966 car and has a proper serial number and is listed in the Shelby log . I do think that SPF builds the best quality continuation cars and I will enjoy driving it on the road and the track . I race a Radical in Florida , so I am sure that the tight cockpit and a few squeeks and rattles will not be of great concern . I also will be running VP 103 Unleaded race fuel at all times and hopefully wont have much trouble with the Webbers . I should have the car next week and I will report on my satisfaction level as soon as I get some seat time . We all have different definitions of the car , but I know when I see one it makes my heart race ! Thanks for all of the information , this is truly an outstanding forum and I am glad to be a part of it . Jeff

All good except for the not having trouble with Webers part, Their middle name is trouble, air correctors, accelerator pump jets, emulsion tubes, main metering jets, synchronization, throttle linkage, float levels, fuel pressure and other settings, good luck. A nice 4 barrel will solve all that.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
He could always swap for the Weber-look-alike, 8-stack injection if 'the look' is a large part of the "Weber" choice.