how many bogus tickets have you had

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Okay here it is.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows

I just received a front plate ticket. I don't believe that I have to screw it on. By definition it has to be securely fastened to prevent the plate from swinging.

Can anyone share their opinions. I believe you can mount the front plate without any screws, I just don't know how to do it. I'm thinking the Heavy duty plastic bands that we use for holding the transponder. Similiar to the new handcuff the cops use.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
How much is the fine if you don't have a plate? Over here some drivers have been issued a citation where they have to show up at the police dept. and prove the plate is affixed to the front end, which is a sumbitch to get around for many exotic owners. But if you don't have to appear I would just pay the fine.

However, if you want to avoid future fines by putting on a front 'plate', consider getting a color decal made up of the plate which is shrunk slightly to fit the area you want it in. You could stick it on top of some of that invisible Venture Shield stuff that some of us have to protect the font-end paint job.

Your MVA code says it must be at least 12 inches above the ground, which is too high for a GT, but if you look at the pictures Neilda posted he has his just above the front spoiler lip. If I was you I would see how the word "plate'' is defined, because if it is NOT narrowly defined, a reasonable facsimilie could be allowed.

One of the guys here, Empty Pockets, had another idea - seek an Exception Rule.

Personally, I would just pay the fine if all salesmanship failed. Or you might try a 'trunk monkey'. :biggrin

Last edited:

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Neilda said:
I haven't received a ticket in years - I'll probably pick one up at the weekend now I've tempted fate!

Here's how we do our numbers in the UK. The car on the left has a small bracket attached under the front, it then comes away from the car. The car on the right (mine) had a small stick on one, I've now changed it to be like Rob's on the right.

I guess the problem in the US is that you have to have a certain size of plate? We also have this law in the UK, however we can find people to make them smaller...

I wonder if that is the answer, just make a front plate on a decal, say 1x3 and stick it on the bottom of the bumber.. who knows might work. Im michigan there not needed, when they were you would just say it must have broken off

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Arm said:
He ended up citing me for "careless driving" instead. :bored

... I get that all the time .... here they call a clean drift dangerous driving. I should get a prefilled chequebook for this. How can they call it dangerous, if you know what your doing !? Just because they themselves are so lousy, untrained drivers !? Ridiculous...
:frown

They started to call me Schumacher, and are just looking to take me out in whatever sportscar I am around. Think I need to do a major community contribution to get back to normal here.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
... and they always mistake 'acceleration' for 'speed'... Carabinieries, I tell ya... :biggrin

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Stefan , Christmas is coming and I have the perfect solution for you. A coupla cases of good wine dropped off in the right places should do it. Here's a suggestion for ya, from my collection -

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_en&refer=muse&sid=aTTiF74A1BkA

Enjoy!

Last edited:

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
trunk monkey holding the plated. sounds like a great new add.

:confused
Red Rocket said:
How much is the fine if you don't have a plate? Over here some drivers have been issued a citation where they have to show up at the police dept. and prove the plate is affixed to the front end, which is a sumbitch to get around for many exotic owners. But if you don't have to appear I would just pay the fine.

However, if you want to avoid future fines by putting on a front 'plate', consider getting a color decal made up of the plate which is shrunk slightly to fit the area you want it in. You could stick it on top of some of that invisible Venture Shield stuff that some of us have to protect the font-end paint job.

Your MVA code says it must be at least 12 inches above the ground, which is too high for a GT, but if you look at the pictures Neilda posted he has his just above the front spoiler lip. If I was you I would see how the word "plate'' is defined, because if it is NOT narrowly defined, a reasonable facsimilie could be allowed.

One of the guys here, Empty Pockets, had another idea - seek an Exception Rule.

Personally, I would just pay the fine if all salesmanship failed. Or you might try a 'trunk monkey'. :biggrin

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Trunk monkey holding the plated. sounds like a great new add.

Some one needs to contact Suburban Motors home of the famous Trunk Monkey adds. A Ford Gt being ticketed then the trunk opens the monkey gets out and Takes the offending oficer away. :banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Suggest Californian's join the 1199 Foundation, and their local Police Chief's Foundations. Works for me. Never had a bogus ticket..... yet!! All well deserved when I get them :lol

toomanytoys

GT Owner
Aug 8, 2006
Las Vegas
Had my first ticket in the GT today (on Thanksgiving no less). Giving my Dad a "demonstration" ride, went around a corner and bam, there's the cop coming right at me. Lights and sirens and 180 turn immediately. "I know the car can do it and you are probable a good driver, but slow down" (101 in a 55). No breaks but the guy wasn't a jerk about it. Dang, that road is usually empty... At least he didn't catch the front tag delete or the dark window tint. :)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
toomanytoys said:
Had my first ticket in the GT today (on Thanksgiving no less). Giving my Dad a "demonstration" ride, went around a corner and bam, there's the cop coming right at me. Lights and sirens and 180 turn immediately. "I know the car can do it and you are probable a good driver, but slow down" (101 in a 55). No breaks but the guy wasn't a jerk about it. Dang, that road is usually empty... At least he didn't catch the front tag delete or the dark window tint. :)

He wrote you for 46 over... what a jerk of a cop. I think window tinting in Neveda is legal, it's a no - no in California except for the rear window and side windows behind the driver and passenger door. Sorry to hear your tale, hope your dad didn't red ass you out as well.

The last ticket I got was in a rented Cadillac leaving Napa Valley with my late father and mother in the car and nailed for going 95 in a 55, but I think he wrote me for only 20 over. My dear mom reminded me of that ride till her death bed. Sure do miss them.

Last edited:

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
boguss ticket

:bang:mad:mad:mad:mad:dead:
Another boguss ticket.
I was driving home from Santa Barbara in heavy traffic tonight. After following me in traffic for over 8 miles a CHP pulled me over for no front licence plate. He was rude and would not answer simple questions even though they were asked in english. Not a good experience I will be dropping my 911 membership in the downed officer fund. I guess I will have to screw the plate into the tow hook assembley and get it signed off on monday.:frown

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Been depressed about it for 2 weeks now.A couple of Saturdays ago timmy and I went out in the GT and had all day fun... So on the way home we were on the 118 east merging onto the 210 east. Traffic started to swell, people were doing 50 in a 65 :ack so I bob and weave a little and get ahead of the group... not exceeding 70..... I finally get on the 210 east and noticed a motorcycle behind me.. following me.... well at that moment the 210 opened wide up and as cole trickle said, I dropped the hammer and left that crotch rocket in the dust.... Pulled away from the swelled traffic too.... Looked down and we were doing 150... checked the mirrors and the bike was back there and behind him was the unfocused "shaking" version of the front of a CHP car..... no way! not so!! I dropped my speed immediately... the CHP got infront of me and started doing those crazy s turns they do to slow down traffic.... THE SOB stopped the whole freeway... got out of his car and pointed to me and the bike and said, "OVER THERE" we pulled over....

I thought, he's going to call child services, throw me in jail and tow my car.. He was a professional and said nothing to the fact of my son in his car seat but issued me a 110 in a 65.... Son of a.....:eek

1st ticket ever in 20 legal years of driving...... When I started the GT up and it rev'd up as they do... timmy looked at me and giggled..... made my day and wrecked it too....

Shit Happens..... :wink

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Timmy
Join CHP1199 Foundation, I will sponsor you.
Cheers,
daniel

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
ALL of my tickets were bogus. I was found innocent on each and every one :wink

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
It is annoying to get a ticket after 20 years of a ticketless existence. I have felt your pain. It stews for a while. I was so po'd I don't think I slept more than a few hours that night. (Anger issues, besides I wasn't speeding). I didn't have my son out that night. I however was redeemed in that I took the ticket to court and the prosecuter dropped the charges!! Didn't need to say a word.

I guess the female cop found something a little unexpected in the cockpit that night. I told her I take it out on special occasions and tonight....................the GT. (Father's Day).

The license plate ticket. Considering it a donation to the city for road maintanance.

(hey Boney when is my membership up it doesn't say anywhere).

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
It always amazes me how when I do something stupid, I always run into a dickhead.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
It always amazes me how when I do something stupid, I always run into a dickhead.

LOL!:lol

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Bogus tickets

2 in 6 mos.

1. for speeding which I wasn't but a cop was trying to bait me to race

2. no front license plate

Misery love company so let me here your stories.

Bogus Tickets!! All of my 71 speeding tickets have been Bogus,
But never one with the GT ((YET))

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Hmmm... this thread is still going?

As reported in my original post several pages back... I got popped pretty good back in 2006.

I got very lucky, had a sympathetic Judge whom I'd known in a former life, got deferred adjudication, a defensive drivers course, court costs, and the ticket was dismissed.

I've been a good boy ever since.

mardyn