how many bogus tickets have you had

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
2 in 6 mos.

1. for speeding which I wasn't but a cop was trying to bait me to race

2. no front license plate

Misery love company so let me here your stories.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got pulled over last weekend by the TX Highway patrol for not having a front licence plate. I was going one way and the state trooper passed me going the other way on a state highway. My Valentine One had gone off so I knew he was coming. No way I was speeding, but he looped around and stopped me. He walked straight up to the front of my car to verify that I didn't have a front plate. He also said I was 10 over the speed limit, although his radar wasn't running when he looped up behind me. I was polite and told him I was waiting for a mechanic to drill holes in the nose of my car to mount my front plates. He let me off the hook with a warning. Do any of you guys run front plates? I have a bracket but have to interest in putting on front plates. TX law says its a class C misdemeanor to not run front plates. I think I'll keep the front plate in my car. If I'm pulled over, I'll toss it up on the dash and tell the officer, I was planning to bolt it to the nose of my car.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Is a bracket included with the car and has anyone ever seen a GT with a front plate? TI

BCF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
Hudson Ia.
A bracket is included with cars shipped to states that require front license plates. It is shipped loose and was probably in the front underhood storage area.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Front Plate

My dealer ran out of the "un-obtainium screws" to mount the bracket to the bumper. I believe they are on back order at Ford Wixom.

He bought it - vebal & no paper work. N.D. on the way home from the rally. Parked at a meter, which was on overtime. :rofl

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a picture in the files here form an owner in Dubai with the front plate mounted (RedWhite maybe?). When I orderd my Speedlingerie bra, I got the front plate option, two snaps and a zipper. Look at my picture gallery. I always keep the front plate in the trunk in case.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Problem with the plates is 2 fold
1st it requires making holes in the body which I refuse to do.
2nd it block the air flow to the front radiators. As you recall the 2006 don't come with a screen on the front radiators so a plate blocking air flow cannot be good either.
Also didn't someone post about the plate ripping out the bumper?

The solution to drilling holes is to take a post who's threads will match the tow hitch slot in the front. Screw the post in and mount the plate to the end of the post sticking out. One would assume the mount in the body of the GT would be strong enough to deal with the wind resistance.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
glorified meter maids with guns

I received my first moving violation in over 10 years last month while in my GT. A CHP (CA Highway Patrol) was right behind me for a few blocks so I was driving very carefully, but he finally pulled me over. The ticket was for "straddling lanes/unsafe lane change". He stated I didn't give enough space between me & the car in the lane next to me when I signaled to change lanes. We were coming to a stop light & he wrote my speed down as 15-25 mph in a 35 zone. He wouldn't let me say one single word as he lectured me on "guys with cars like this..." The CHP usually always ticket you for no front plate if they pull you over, but this one was too bent out of shape to notice that I had no front plate. My friends that are real cops say it is the ticket you get if there is no other reason to give you a ticket. They also say they are too busy fighting crime to hassle honest citizens.

Ed

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I haven't received a ticket in years - I'll probably pick one up at the weekend now I've tempted fate!

Here's how we do our numbers in the UK. The car on the left has a small bracket attached under the front, it then comes away from the car. The car on the right (mine) had a small stick on one, I've now changed it to be like Rob's on the right.

I guess the problem in the US is that you have to have a certain size of plate? We also have this law in the UK, however we can find people to make them smaller...

Attachments

• Le Mans 2 copy.jpg
    Le Mans 2 copy.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 673

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Not bad!

The UK plates are kind of cool! Our US plates are ugly on the front.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Neilda said:
I haven't received a ticket in years - I'll probably pick one up at the weekend now I've tempted fate!

Here's how we do our numbers in the UK. The car on the left has a small bracket attached under the front, it then comes away from the car. The car on the right (mine) had a small stick on one, I've now changed it to be like Rob's on the right.

I guess the problem in the US is that you have to have a certain size of plate? We also have this law in the UK, however we can find people to make them smaller...

I see the car on the right must be a USA version without the headlight washing system? Correct? I assume nobody checks if all the mandatory mods are done?
Thanks for the picture

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
How is the bracket mounted on the car on the left? I assume the body was drilled.

Derry

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Those are modified plates. UK plates are usually much larger than US plates.

Enzo, if you know a dealer that will give you dealer plates you don't have to have one on the front. I had a TX Trooper try to give me a ticket for "No Front Plate" but I was running a dealer on the back. He had to call and ask his supervisor, but I was right and he couldn't give me the ticket. Needless to say, he gave me a ticket for everything else.

Dealer tags also make it very difficult to issues "Camera Tickets" (running toll booths, red lights, ect...) because they are issued to a business not a person. Not that I would EVER run a toll booth.

Rich1

Sep 24, 2006
Sherrills Ford, NC
I received a $60 ticket once for not having a front license plate. Was moving from Ohio to Pennsylvania (which doesn't require the front plate) back in the mid 90's and was eight miles from the boarder when I was pulled over. The state tropper asked why I didn't have the plate and I told him it ruined the look of the car. Needless to say, that didn't go over very well at all. I have not lived in a state that required the front plate since then.

Rich1

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
My lucky day

I was stopped on the long Island Expressway, 92 in 55, dealer plate with no paperwork, no insurance card, no paperwork proving ownership or registration. I gave him my license with PBA card, the cop was going nuts checking his computer and on the cell phone. He let we go with a warning... "he,ll be looking for me again red car and all"... watch it Joey, red cars are allways faster

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Bony, that was very observant of you! The law in the UK requires cars fitted with Xenon lights to also have a headlamp wash system too. So if a car coming into the UK has the Xenon bulbs removed and 'ordinary' bulbs installed, it does not need the wash system and will pass it's SVA inspection. Some owners might be tempted to have the technician immediately replace the Xenon bulbs when the inspector has gone... :lol

Derry, the bracket you can see on the left hand car is, I believe stuck on. I now have the same bracket on mine - I'll take a look and let you know, I can't do this immediately as I'm travelling.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
We don't need front plates in FL. I hadn't realized that front plates were mandatory in some states & can't believe you guys get tickets for not having them! Overall, I have been quite lucky. I did get one VERY expensive ticket last year. Other than that, I've gotten out of about 40 "potential" tickets (including 3 warnings by the same cop on my lunch break last week). :lol

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
piccola said:
We don't need front plates in FL. I hadn't realized that front plates were mandatory in some states & can't believe you guys get tickets for not having them! Overall, I have been quite lucky. I did get one VERY expensive ticket last year. Other than that, I've gotten out of about 40 "potential" tickets (including 3 warnings by the same cop on my lunch break last week). :lol

Piccola, lucky you are of the right sex! The same cop in 3 times without a ticket, humm, he must like your smile.

BlackICE

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
This whole thread is a trap, as saying "I haven't received a ticket in my GT" is like planning a very important outdoor event a month ahead of time. You pretty much guarantee misery in both cases.

That said, I was pulled over for the first time about a month ago. The cop claimed I was going over the speed limit when I passed some other vehicles, but the speed limit was 55 and they were doing low 40s (which is why I passed them).

Anyway, after the first 20 seconds of "You went too fast back there passing those other cars" he spent the next 10 minutes telling me, "So, I've never seen one of these in dark blue. It's beautiful! My brother is getting a GT500 in blue and white. Ford did a great job with this. How fast have you had it..." etc., etc. Part of me felt like saying, "If you just wanted to see the car you should have told me, without the 'speeding' cover story." But, bottom line, he was another car guy so it was fine talking to him. At least he wasn't playing the role of "Angry Cop because of Rich Guys and their Fast Cars" like the CHP officer Mr. Sims had to deal with. What a jerk!

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Although it was in my Dodge Magnum SRT8, not in a GT, I've gotten plenty (3) tickets for no front plate in Los Angeles in one year.

Once, I was parked at a meter; they left the ticket on the windshield.

Second time, I got pulled over for having paper plates! He "just wanted to see proof of registration and insurance". No violations except the ticket for no front plate. That's on a two-week old car with paper plates on it!

Third time, I was waiting at a light in Hollywood, and a cop parked on the street blipped his siren and flashed his lights and told me to pull over in front of him. I did, asked why, and he told me it was because I had no front plate. I told him kindly and courteously that I had no plans to ever put a front plate on this car or on any car that I own unless it had a built-in plate holder, and I would happily pay the $35 fine as often as they wished to pull me over. He sympathized, and said, "yeah, it would look crappy..." but had to write me up anyway.

Screw 'em. I'll pay the darn fine. A front plate would absolutely ruin the look of the Magnum OR the GT, and I won't do it. On the Cuda, my front plate is one of those ones that says "1970", like in the press photos from back in the day, and no cop has ever said "boo" about that car, despite many pull-overs "just to talk" or to tell me I had a license plate light out (yeah, right...).