how many bogus tickets have you had

GT350H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 3, 2006
Portland, Oregon
The state of Oregon also requires a front plate, which I refuse to attach for the same reasons previously discussed. However, there is a license plate sticker available that is applied to the rear plate, termed "Special Interest" designation, which doesn't require a front plate. This is usually only for vehicles over 25 years old. I had our local national Shelby Club rep. sign off on the application that the GT was considered a Special Interest vehicle, which allows a newer vehicle to qualify for this designation. As an added bonus, a "Special Interest" designation vehicle does not need to pay any more annual license registration fee's! I don't know if this arrangement is unique to Oregon or not, so you may want to see if your state has a similar program.

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Fantastic idea! Not loving being a scofflaw... or giving them an excuse. Anybody heard of such a thing in CA?

Edit: I just noticed my description has changed to "Team Member"! What did I do to deserve such an honor? I've been trying to behave! :biggrin

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Neilda said:
I haven't received a ticket in years - I'll probably pick one up at the weekend now I've tempted fate!

Here's how we do our numbers in the UK. The car on the left has a small bracket attached under the front, it then comes away from the car. The car on the right (mine) had a small stick on one, I've now changed it to be like Rob's on the right.

I guess the problem in the US is that you have to have a certain size of plate? We also have this law in the UK, however we can find people to make them smaller...

The red car on the left in Neil’s photo is mine. The bracket is made of aluminum and it’s bolted on and very sturdy. The bolts connect the bracket to the car underneath the splitter. As I’ve just moved back to the U.S. (to Boston) and the car came with me I’ve now removed this bracket and I’m driving without a front plate. If anyone would like me to take a picture of the bracket and sent it to them or post it please let me know.

It’s also worth noting that the red car on the left is much faster than the red car on the right. No one is quite sure why it’s faster. Some believe it may be due to manufacturing tolerance difference in the hand built engine while others have stated that it’s due to the different drivers in the cars. Personally I believe that it’s a combination of these two factors.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• Le Mans 2.jpg
    Le Mans 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 355

neilhellr

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2005
Central IL
Quick question for Fubar, then on to my GT ticket story...
Why would a dealer agree to give you a dealer plate? I can't see how that could work legally or in his case be an intelligent business decision (liability issues). It is possible that you own a percentage of the dealership, in which case, dismiss my previous question :wink

I was pulled over and given my first traffic ticket EVER in the GT.... 41 in a 35. I was on my way home from the grocery store on a road I drive every day just keeping up with the traffic in front of me and staying far enough away from the guy trying to get a look at the car from behind (you know the routine). The officer pulls me over and asks me a bunch of questions about the car. We talk for a while and then he asks for my license and insurance. He heads back to the car and shortly there after, six police cars and a police expedition pull up (we are pulled over in a parking lot of a business which is closed). I'm slightly younger than the average GT driver so I assume this guy thinks I have no business in this car and something funny is going on. Turns out he just called all his buddies to come take a look at what he had pulled over. His buddies check out the car and ask a bunch of questions as the officer writes me my citation. I couldn't believe it.

-Neil
Heritage 0009

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
No I don't own a dealership, but I have a friend who does. He let's me run all of my cars with a dealer tag. I'm not sure what liabilities a dealer has letting you use a "Dealer Tag."

If a law enforcement agency wanted to be very thorough they would call the dealer and ask "who is using this tag?" But that would take time and be an issue for the New/Used Car Dealer Licensing Board or something like that. More trouble than a class “C” ticket is worth for the average trooper. Regarding photo tickets; I believe that most agencies look at the picture... if they have an obvious violation and a clear shot of the tag, they just run the tag and mail a ticket.

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I received the first speeding ticket I've got in many (25) years not too long ago... can't say much about it right now 'cause it's still "in process" and I'm trying to get it dismissed.... but let's just say it was for "significant" speed... and I was deffinately gulity, no question about it... :wink

I'll elaborate once my ordeal is resolved.

I used to run a dealer tag on my Pantera. Worked great for me for years, I just paid for the plate each year. No problems at all in DFW area. I do not have a front plate on my GT... but it's in the seat webbing behind the driver's seat just in case.. :thumbsup

mardyn

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neil, who are you kidding? Six cars and a Suburban? There aren't that many cops in Central Illinois.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
"It’s also worth noting that the red car on the left is much faster than the red car on the right. No one is quite sure why it’s faster. Some believe it may be due to manufacturing tolerance difference in the hand built engine while others have stated that it’s due to the different drivers in the cars. Personally I believe that it’s a combination of these two factors."

:lol

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Tickets in the GT

Guys,
I got two already ! Both from car guys, so kinda ok.. Here's the story:

When I picked mine up in Bremerhafen (having been container'd from Florida) I had to cross the entire German autobahn from North to South, heading to Italy. Boy had I fun (flat out)! Unfortunately, late the afternoon, I had secret admirers follow me in a standard BMW hidden police car in traffic... They filmed me, and at some point of time, pulled me over mounting the blue lamp on theirs. The funny thing was, they told me I was too fast, supposedly in a 130km/h zone driving over 160 (100 miles p h), so they had to pull me over. They asked me if I wanted to see the film ! I said, yes, as I never saw my car how it looked from behind being driven around. So I watch, and trust me, for almost 10 minutes they had me filmed without doing anything wrong, Then during overtaking maneuvers I accidentally hit the accelerator too much and went well over the 160. But I told them, Why did you film me for soo long for doing nothing anyhow !? They smiled and it was clear they did it to show the colleagues about having seen a GT live on the road.. When they asked for the papers, they were very disappointed that US documents don't contain the usual technical data like in Germany, and they sadi: But it doesn't say how many horsepower you have ! I rightout laughed, and said so what is it you want to know about the car.... :banana
They wished me a good trip to italy, and not to worry about the speeding ticket, me being an American car won't risk my license...

Second time here in Italy. At lunch in one of our favorite restaurant the guys wanted to hear the (steel catless header /Borla) exhaust note. Mind you, we are in Italy, where sound matters a lot.. So I hit the accelerator few times, Pity that right next door are the Cops, who all stormed out to look at the big GT butt from behind in awe..
Later two of them had to stop me giving testrides to some friend, because 'We heard you coming', papers please.. Same story, wanted to know all about the car, and gave me a ticket for 'dangerous driving' aka oversteer around a corner (35€), which again made me laugh and I said dangerous driving is different, a sweet controlled drift out of a corner shouldn't be fined...
When I answered them upon enquiry that the engine delivered over 700 Hp, they said: Well, that's slightly over the average of our streetcars, and smiled with big grins.
They all freak out about me driving with Florida plates around, with a big USA sticker above it.. just too cool, particularily in case of fixed autovelox radar...

So in a nutshell, you will be stopped a lot here, but it's all sweet and full of compliments. Everybody loves the car, and cops here in Italy are generally 'car guys'.

Stefan

PS: I generally drive without the frontplates, although mandatory here. Never got fined for that ...

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great stories Stefan. I can only imagine what it is like to drive the Autobahn in a GT. Hopefully someday I can find out first hand.

So what are you driving more these days, the GT or the F430???? :thumbsup

neilhellr

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2005
Central IL
Fjpikul,

I think I had all of them on duty that day there! I'm sure it was entertaining for the passers-by...

I didn't think we had that many either :wink

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
I've had my red/white stripe 2006 GT since April and have nearly 1900 miles on it. SO FAR <knock on wood> I have had a completely ticket-free experience with the GT. This car is a celebrity and even the cops here just love it. By contrast they seem to hate Vipers and Corvettes, and even Lambos, Brand X and Porsches, and hound them for no front plates as well as other borderline infractions. Here's a couple of examples (bear in mind I don't run a front plate either, which is a stiff fine here):

(1) I had just got the car and was turning left onto a one-way street. Facing me from the opposite direction a squad car is turning right onto the same street. The blind spot from the driver's side pillar is so big I almost ran down two people in the cross walk! The cops just laughed and waved at me. So did the couple I nearly hit.

(2) three times now I have come across an accident scene with cops directing traffic and they either grin & wave or grin & give thumbs up! Nice.

(3) I was late on Saturday (for church!) so I pullled around some slower cars on a 6 lane hill road and blast thru 1st - 2nd - into 3rd. Natch I'm doing probably 90 -100 mph in a 35 ZONE. Just then a cop appears over the hill from the other direction. He flicks on his lights and sirens for a moment, as I instinctively hit the brakes. He turns off his equipment, puts his hand out the window and wags his finger at me! I wave back. That's it, no 180 turn with lights flashing embarrasingly and no ticket. Maybe it's the clean living!

BTW here there is a big clampdown on street racing so I am cool around town. I am well aware everyone is looking at the car and I have one of only 3 or 4 that are actually driven here so I keep the performance driving down to zero around our house and around heavy traffic. But so far I have found that one gets treated like royalty in this car, which is completely different than any other exotic or rare car I've owned (and I've owned a lot). I think it's because (a) the car is gorgeous and (b) it's a working class hero, as opposed to some car people might think is snobby. And although this city is increasingly becoming a haven for the world's worst drivers, I also find that most drivers keep a respectful distance from the car. Its the best of all worlds for a supercar.

Anyway, ya gotta love these monsters! Now that its getting cooler outside the throttle response is even better and now I'm having trouble now avoiding the temptation to spin the tires in the middle of first gear every time I blast away from a light or corner. Plus the crowds on the sidewalks love the drifting (and so do I). Is it a crime to be having so much fun?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
this guy thought the traffic stop was bogus...

he was pissed and decided enough is enough and kicks the cop's ass...

http://www.filecabi.net/video/atbrutalc22.html

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
another reason why women should not be allowed to drive...

http://www.filecabi.net/video/cloneme31.html

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
this guy decided not to stop when challenged for no front plate.////

http://www.filecabi.net/video/aujthdrive11.html
when they finally get him note that it is at Edelbrock's plant, maybe he should have invested in some more speed equipment before the pursuit?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Coming back from Le Mans this year - through France - I kept to a steady 110mph as that is just below the speed where they can officially confiscate your car (I'm not kidding).... A yellow Enzo whistled past me followed by a modified Murcielago sounding beautiful. I couldn't resist it, so pulled out and tailed them for a while at around 180 - 190. We swapped places a few times, not racing each other, simply enjoying the sights and sounds of each others cars.

On the opposite side carriageway we passed a couple of Police motorbikes and a car with Police standing on the opposite hard-shoulder. The Murcielago was making such a (sweet) noise that they heard us coming and the officers started jumping up and down trying to catch a sight of the cars (the central barrier probably prevented a decent view of our cars). So we all slowed down and when we got to the toll booth several Police were there and just glared at us - clearly annoyed. The guy in the Lambo gave me a nod and a wink and we drove off feeling rather lucky!

No ticket - but felt we'd got away with it.....

I know it's been said before, however it must be very gratifying that a US built car can comfortably mix it with Italian exotics, their owners being just as interested in the GT as we would be in theirs.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Neilda said:
Coming back from Le Mans this year - through France - I kept to a steady 110mph as that is just below the speed where they can officially confiscate your car (I'm not kidding).... A yellow Enzo whistled past me followed by a modified Murcielago sounding beautiful. I couldn't resist it, so pulled out and tailed them for a while at around 180 - 190. We swapped places a few times, not racing each other, simply enjoying the sights and sounds of each others cars.

On the opposite side carriageway we passed a couple of Police motorbikes and a car with Police standing on the opposite hard-shoulder. The Murcielago was making such a (sweet) noise that they heard us coming and the officers started jumping up and down trying to catch a sight of the cars (the central barrier probably prevented a decent view of our cars). So we all slowed down and when we got to the toll booth several Police were there and just glared at us - clearly annoyed. The guy in the Lambo gave me a nod and a wink and we drove off feeling rather lucky!

No ticket - but felt we'd got away with it.....

I know it's been said before, however it must be very gratifying that a US built car can comfortably mix it with Italian exotics, their owners being just as interested in the GT as we would be in theirs.

Great story! Have you done any changes to your exhaust?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Steve

No, I have the standard exhaust and I'm pretty sure I'll keep it that way. I have a couple of Astons that are loud and naughty sounding, but I don't dislike the GT's standard tone. It's quite quiet, but has an edge to it.

I may change my mind over time, but right now I can live with the peace!

The nicest sound I had was the Vanquish, I think someone else in our gang has one, holy mamma, that's a great tone. Imagine Tom Jones falling over in the shower - something like that!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Neilda said:
Hi Steve

No, I have the standard exhaust and I'm pretty sure I'll keep it that way. I have a couple of Astons that are loud and naughty sounding, but I don't dislike the GT's standard tone. It's quite quiet, but has an edge to it.

I may change my mind over time, but right now I can live with the peace!

The nicest sound I had was the Vanquish, I think someone else in our gang has one, holy mamma, that's a great tone. Imagine Tom Jones falling over in the shower - something like that!

LOL! My wife is from your part of the world and she would love it if I could get my car to sound like that. Hell....maybe if I could she would throw her panties at me when I drive away.

JKM

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2006
Denver
canuck said:
Misery love company so let me here your stories.

In Park County on US 285, s.w. of Denver, near dawn, Saturday Oct. 14, 2006.

Colo. SP officer: "I clocked you at 64 in 55; just going to give you a warning. [pause] Not often you get to pull over your dream car.
[then after looking over registration and ins. card] Say, would it be OK if I take a photo?" He gave me his business card.

Officer e-mailed this photo to me a week later, when I called him for a copy.

CSP_pullover.jpg

btw, front plates required in Colorado, but no mention of this by CSP officer.