great photo and story JKM. That's frame-able

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
no front plate

Boy! Have you hit my "hot button" with THIS post! Wash St has the same stupid manditory front plate rules. I applied for an exemption for my GT ( there is a process for that here) & I cited the SAME reasons mentioned on above posts: no holes from factory, 2) blocking radiator. Bottom line? "THE FACTORY MAKES A BRACKET FOR THE CAR - USE IT". IOW, if Ford HADN'T made the front 'bracket - there'd have been no pblm.
Here's the "kicker" though. The state told me it HAS granted an exemption to a Pantera!!!!!! Now, I came "this close" to buying one of those in '72, and I can specifically rem'ber SEEING front 'brackets on those cars!!!!( 'Any pantera experts here on the Forum who can verify that for me?) So, go figger. It also granted an exemption to a Prowler - AND I KNOW I'VE SEEN THEM WITH FRONT PLATES MOUNTED!
As to "putting a plate in the front window" as mentioned above: Oh! No! No! NOOOO! That creates a "reflection(?!) problem! And it may restrict a portion of your vision, blah, blah, blah - AND YOU'LL BE TK'TED FOR THAT TOO! So, basically, "Drill holes or die", is government's attitude.
If (who am I kidding - WHEN) I'm ticketed for no front plate, I plan to run it right up the "court ladder" 2C if I can find a judge anywhere in this "lefty" infested state who's familiar with the "equal protection" clause in the U.S.Constitution ... because this state allows ATV's, motorcycles, "antiques", and car dealers to run w/o 'em. PLUS, if one has a "trip permit" stuck to the back window (which can't even be read by Superman unless the car's at a dead stop & he walks up to it) one can drive down the road with NO PLATES AT ALL!
I asked Capt. DeVeres ( the dude I was dealing with) why 'cycles are allowed to run w/o front plates but cars aren't. He said he assumed that was because there are fewer OF them - to which I answered, "Well, there are a DARNED SIGHT FEWER GT's in the entire WORLD than there are 'cycles here in Washington State alone!!!!!! His answer to that? "Good point. But, YOU are still required to mount a front plate." (In other words: "DO SO BECAUSE WE SAY SO " ... never mind that it makes noooooooo sense at all and is obviously un"constipational".
There are a number of states in the U.S. that don't require front plates at all (Arizona comes to mind 'cause I'm down there a lot) - so there CANNOT be a really compelling "law infrocement" reason for requiring 'em. So, clearly, it really all boils down to the dtate's lust for REVENUE. (Surprise, surprise.)
In the meantime, I'll just continue to drive mine without one. Period. I REFUSE to drill holes in a 6 figure car just because gov't DEMANDS IT. Gov't can just, "take a hike."
I guess I better talk to Dave & see about changing my I.D. on the Forum to "Dillinger", huh?
'REALLY WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU PANTERA OWNERS/EXPERTS ON THE FORUM ABOUT WHETHER THAT CAR CAME WITH FRONT PLATE BRKTS OR NOT. IF THEY DID, I'D LIKE TO HAVE THAT IN MY "BAG" IN COURT. THANKS.
I'll shut up now... (and all the Forum members said: "Praise God!")

E.P.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I took a look in my Pantera master parts catalog (71/74) and found no front brkt shown or listed. It shows for the rear only. I had a '73 Pantera L and it had no provision for a front plate. Non of the other Pantera guys that I ran with had front plates either that I can recall.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
isaakgt said:
I took a look in my Pantera master parts catalog (71/74) and found no front brkt shown or listed. It shows for the rear only. I had a '73 Pantera L and it had no provision for a front plate. Non of the other Pantera guys that I ran with had front plates either that I can recall.

I take that back. I did find a front license brkt. part #D16Y 17A385-A and D26Y 17A385-A depending on the ser. no. of the car. Sorry about that.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Empty, look for some old posts by I think RED/WHITE in Dubai. He had pictures of the front plate mounted. Didn't look too bad. Somebody also manufactured a bracket that fits into the tow hook hole. Don't remember whose post that was, but maybe do a search. How else can the police get you with radar and laser if you don't have a front plate? Good luck. I just carry mine in the trunk and haven't been stopped yet. FJP

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I think it is time to color scan a plate onto adhesive plastic or vinyl. Put it on the car like a clear bra.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
front plate

WAY TO GO, ISAAKGT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Part numbers & the whole 9 yards!!!!!!
YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!! I owe you dinner!!!!!! Yer wife too if you have one!
Thanks to all the rest of you, too.
I be thinkin' that, "I'm going to sit right down and write (a) little letter", to Capt. DeVeres with my new found ammo!! (It pbly won't do any GOOD - but, at least I can show the state that, as usual, THEY HAVE NO CLUE.)
Oh, yeah! Yuh can that to the bank!
I'm luvin' this! You have NOOOOO idea!
Thanks again, guys!
Gotta go!!!!!!

E.P.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
letter to the W.S.P.

ISAAKGT (and the rest who responded):

Well, I just dunnit!
'Just sent a "certified" to Capt. DeVere quoting your part #s for the Pantera front 'plate bracket - AND GIVING HIM THE ONE FOR THE PROWLER TOO - to which they ALSO have given an exemption. (All I needed to do to get THAT one was CALL THE LOCAL CHRYS DEALER! Why couldn't the STATE have done that B4 granting that Prowler's exemption? Could it be because the Prowler owner "knows sumbuddy" in Olympia??? Naaaaah! That'd be improper! Mebbe even illegal!)
I'll let you guys know if anything comes of this. I strongly doubt anything WILL though, because the state NOW has to "save face" and escape the "box" we've just put 'em in ... so, they'll pbly find a way - and it'll be at my expense no doubt, you can count on THAT.
I just LOVE gov't.
Thanks again. :banana

E.P.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Best of luck to you. If you need me to fax up some Pantera docs, let me know. TI :thumbsup

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Sorry to say, NO bogus tickets here. I am an ex/retired cop, and with Pres. Bush's 2004 Law Enforcement Safety Act, I am required to carry identification, and a badge. Not a bad thing to have on hand for flashing to your "Bros" on duty. Plus it helps explain why I have a Glock at my side.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
piccola said:
We don't need front plates in FL. I hadn't realized that front plates were mandatory in some states & can't believe you guys get tickets for not having them! Overall, I have been quite lucky. I did get one VERY expensive ticket last year. Other than that, I've gotten out of about 40 "potential" tickets (including 3 warnings by the same cop on my lunch break last week). :lol

Folks shes good at this ticket thing... trust me...

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
100mph in a 65mph. The cop was merciless :( He also said, "I don't think this car has ever done any less than 100mph on the road". A true stereotypical b+s+a+d. So now I've got a date in court. I guess it didn't help the fact that it was 1:30am on Halloween night and my car was covered in race stickers to resemble Ricky Bobby's car in 'Talladega Nights'. Oh also when he said, "you must have been going so fast because half of your stickers blew off your car" that didn't help me much either... On my defense I asked him to show me on his radar that I was actually going 100mph, to that he said, "I reset my radar but are you calling me a liar?!!" Oh well, my lawyer should be able to take care of this one.

Attachments

• nb-038.jpg
    nb-038.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 264

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Faxing docs

ISAACKGT:
Thanks for the offer, Sir.
I may NEED to take you up on that because you know darn well the state won't be able to verify what I (we!) told 'em.
I'll let you know!
'Can't tell you how much I appreciate your info!!!!!! :banana :biggrin

E.P.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
We in Ohio have a front plate law, and I do not, and have not run plates on the front of any of my many cars other than my F350 truck. However, I have never been ticketed, stopped, or even been told anything about not having front plates even when stopped by a cop. My sons who are all young adults, however have ALL been stopped or warned, but no tickets yet!

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I'll give you a funny..

I came out of having my car worked on by the GT guys and the dealer had me park in a handicapped spot..I questioned saying them if they were going to call the cops on me and when told NO I limped in to give grief to Rich and Dennis and the host of GT owners hanging around.

When I came back out to the car there were 2 cop cars there apparently one of them has a new car from the dealership and so I told the first officer that I was told to park there I hope he wasn't going to screw with me and give me a ticket..just razing him a little.

His response was hell I didn't give you one when I pulled you over on the Tollway why would I give you one now...I love that car....Officers name is Ben..nice guy going for a ride when he calls....We were both laughing our asses off..He followed me 7.5 miles to pull me over the first time..said I was doing 90 in a 60 :)

Matt

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Trafikk Babes

If we had the Danish Road Council idea of getting drivers to not speed maybe this thread would't exist? Of course at 200+mph it would be difficult to tell if they were naked or not!www.start.no/filter/embed_click.html?link_id=1829

Ed

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Understand the project is a failure, it worked to slow down traffic, but created traffic jams. Also some worker comp claims for frost bite... :wink

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
With very little persuasion, I could probably help with that frost bite issue...

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Roger, you are a true humanitarian. Bless you.

Trust Denmark to actually get some great looking girls on the job. Over here they'd probably get some members of the communist lesb*@n party, or the defected bulgarian women's wrestling team.

I wonder where Jason (1of101) is on this thread? maybe he's pulled over to chat with the babe and lost his laptop?

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
ByeEnzo's story about the trooper doing a u-turn to stop him could be contested here in Ohio, as a missing front license plate is not a moving violation, and therefore is not probable cause for stopping a motorist.