Dallas Rally to Rally IV

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I just finished up a cobra rally at CWS 2 weeks ago and we stayed at the Residence Inn directly across from the Hyatt. Brand new and really clean. Approx. 170 a night and we hired a couple of local college students (kids of one of the cobra owners) to watch the cars thru the night. If the UPD doesn't work out I can check if the guys want to do it again for ya'll.

Here are a couple of pictures of the hotel and us Tailgating late into the night.:cheers

Larry Boatner

Attachments

• DSCF7107.jpg
    DSCF7107.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF7148.jpg
    DSCF7148.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 194

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Thanks Matt and Nardo for the suggestions and coordination with parking, food, lodging, etc.
Mark, are you planning to attend the Dallas event as well?

Yes, I'll be there.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Will be there in College Station on Tues evening. Bringin' both rides down. Looking forward to hotel arrangements and dinner Tues evening. Peace, AC

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think Matt may have a little information regarding the hotels there but we need to come to a consensus pretty quick. I think we should just all pitch-in and have a UPD officer watch our cars all night.

Also for the ride down to College Station, we have two options:

A) Drive down I35, stop in Waco for lunch and then drive down Hwy 6 toward College Station (thats the long way but Waco has better stops for lunch)

B) Drive down I45 and boogie all the way to College Station before we brake for lunch

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
HEY, you Texas boys better the act together. DBTGT says there's no rooms in College Station. Please, somebody get some info. How far from Dallas to Goliad?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
There is a secret you can actually use thats really sneaky and I hate to do it but all's fair in love and war.

I'm calling my friend tonight to see what the hell is going on the 13th because thats the only night hotels seem to have a problem.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Just FYI......Not fancy but very secure and EXCELLENT FOOD. The Somerville Inn & Suites is available on Oct 12 and 13 for at least six rooms (that is all I asked about). The rate is $55.99. Yes $55.99. It is 22 miles from College Station and the speedway. Best part is it is kinda on the way to Austin if you stay there Tues night ready for Wed morning. The Country Inn Steakhouse (Somerville Steakhouse) is right across the street. You cannot beat their steaks and prices. Almost a must. I have a friend with a ranch less than 5minutes away with plenty of parking and totally private(cannot see from the road) and a security entrance. Free shuttle (5minutes from the hotel to his ranch). His drive is gravel but site is 100% secure, level and gorgeous. Easy to park trailers & cars. Let me know. There are other motels in Somerville as well. All in about a one-mile stretch of hiway.:cheers

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Found out we are landing there on the last night of the TxDOT convention...thats where the room problem is. I spoke to the manager at the Hilton and he is seeing if he can block me 20 rooms if I pay for them up front. SHould know today....sounds like they might do it.

Matt

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That should be good news. Hope it works out. Thanks Aggie FJP

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Ok so I need opinions from you guys.

We actually own the townplace suites in CS and they are booked to individuals. The Hilton said they have groups that have big blocks and about 6 weeks out they start taking back rooms if they haven't had alot of people take up the blocks. So per their reservation people there is a good chance we can get rooms but won't know until the end of August.

Apparently this is a yearly event that TxDOT does and even if we had known the details of the rally last year the rooms were already booked.

So the question is does anyone have a problem with a Super 8 or La Quinta type hotel if I can get us rooms at those? I'm planning on blocking 15-20 rooms. Let me know...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I suggest leaving it up to Matt.

What ever you think is appropriate given the circumstances of the previous lock on rooms in CS is OK by me. I would however feel better if we have outside parking we all financially engage the services of Mark or a LEO to mind the herd while we are off zzzzzzing....

It will all be good just being together again for a rally!

And to Mark's earlier post as to eating lunch on the way to CS, I would favor a gathering place somewhere along the route from Dallas to CS. Give the locals a GT fest to look at along the road.

But I am only one vote and defer to the majority of participants...

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I am in for a room at either location. Can we book a lower end place, and still bail if the Hilton free's up ? Thanks for all the legwork Matt.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
If I book a block of rooms I will have to put a card down...if they have enough that I feel safe then I won't do the block but its up to the group.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm OK with a cheap place if it's clean. Do we know anybody in CS that might afford us indoor parking? Local Ford dealer? Empty warehouse? College parking garage?

We need to know who's coming as well.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm in for whatever you come up with. Need a room with 2 double beds. Bringin' both the cars...a friend is driving one down.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Okay I went by and drove the thru the Marriott's garage and it will not be an issue for our GTs. The slope is not dramatic at all. The garage is gated but not monitored 24 hours a day so there ya go. The information for the hotel is:

Marriott Hotels & Resorts
www.marriott.com/dalpt

Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center
7120 Dallas Parkway
Plano, TX 75024

Okay the next order of business is dinner. I think we have 3 logical options:

Bob's Steak & Chop House Very nice steak house where we can get the back room and talk cars (walking distance from the hotel)
Mi Cocina Nice mexican style restaurant with a good bar scene and it is right in the middle of a trendy shoping center (walking distance from the hotel)
la Hacienda Ranch Family style Texas food that can handle our crowd easily but is a good clip from the hotel (5 miles). We will likely just park in the back of the lot to avoid other cars but if we choose to eat here I will try to make arrangement with the management there for a section up front.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think Bob's is a good choice for our group unless you guys want something with a little more Tejas flavor.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Also just to help those making plans.

Monday
10am I think Monday is booked up in Dallas with a car museum in the morning.
1pm Then you guys can rest up or go shopping at the center around the hotel, very cool little area to walk around.
7pm Dinner at __________ that evening.

Tuesday
10am Then we take off for CS
11:30 lunch in Waco?
3pm arrive in CS

This what understand about the events here so far. Matt, feel free to rearrange any of this. I just wanted to lay some stuff out so people could start planning.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Also just to help those making plans.

Monday
10am I think Monday is booked up in Dallas with a car museum in the morning.
1pm Then you guys can rest up or go shopping at the center around the hotel, very cool little area to walk around.
7pm Dinner at __________ that evening.

Tuesday
10am Then we take off for CS
11:30 lunch in Waco?
3pm arrive in CS

This what understand about the events here so far. Matt, feel free to rearrange any of this. I just wanted to lay some stuff out so people could start planning.

We can either do Monday or Tuesday on the Museum depending on everyone's schedule and time they are taking off. its open...I was thinking tuesday morning but I like your schedule better Mark so we will go with that.

I've been calling and looking for something better than La Quinta but its not working out....i just don't want to risk everything on the Hilton...I'm going to get it wrapped up tomorrow on that.

If you guys could give me an idea of how many trailers I need to expect at my place that would help. Also if they are coming on a semi we need to arrange a place to unload and get them driven over to my house and put away....

The other option I haven't shot out there is to drive to Austin on Tuesday and just meet up with everyone there...let me know your thoughts on that...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm speaking only for myself. I was planning on flying into Dallas on Monday afternoon. The trailer hauling our cars should get there then (mine, IndyGT, GTJim, ShelbyElite), but that hasn't been settled yet. Dinner wherever Monday night, museum Tuesday, then drive to CS. If we can't get a good place in CS, then probably just have the cars delivered directly to Austin on Monday and fly into Austin. I hate to skip Dallas, but if CS is out of the picture, maybe not much sense stopping there first?