Borla Exhaust

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
let's hear it for Florida pricing

biffom said:
Stu,

it took a morning to install at a cost of $250. Eddie at Muscle Motors did mine - great job!

Mod Friendly,

how much do/did you guys at maroone charge for installing.....e.g. mine ?????????

cheers

stefan

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Has anyone looked at using the "long tube headers" and using a removeable, internal baffle (maybe like they use on boats)?

Wondering if that would work.

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Stefan I honestly do not know how much Brian charged on yours for the install of the muffler. I am sorry but I just honestly do not know.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Borla videos

Ok guys - I tried some pre and post Borla comparison videos.

In the garage:

stock

borla

At muscle motors:

stock

borla

I'm afraid 'I shall not be giving up my day job' as they say!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
SLF360 said:
Mod Friendly,

how much do/did you guys at maroone charge for installing.....e.g. mine ?????????

cheers

stefan

At first maroone quoted me $4k for the muffler, then they said that it would be somewhere in the low $3k range but also mentioned that there is 11 hours of labor. If biffom got his installed for $250.00 then more power to him!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Carl....you dog, you went and did it!!!!!do oyu love it?

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
After hearing (and seeing) SteveA's Borla it was a no-brainer! It's a bit racier without being OTT. I like it.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I'm next...can't let you have a cooler car then me...

biffom - Thanks for the prop's :)

abolfaz - 11 hours to do the install??? Wow....maybe we should start charging more....lol

LEMANSZ - Nice talking to you last week again. Let me know when you are ready to order :)

To everyone in California we are an authorized Ford Racing Distributor and Installer!!!!

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.
jack@musclemotors.com
http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
OK, so how much installed? Maybe for what I was quoted I could actually ship the car to you round trip and get the muffler! :lol

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
biffom said:
Ok guys - I tried some pre and post Borla comparison videos.

In the garage:

stock

borla

At muscle motors:

stock

borla

I'm afraid 'I shall not be giving up my day job' as they say!

Thanks for a great link and job with the sound. It seems to really capture it.

Now after hearing it, I don't want to be a rabble rouser, but I can't say I really hear that much of a difference. I know some of the others have said it sounds significantly better. How does it sound to you? That much different?
:thumbsdow :thumbsup

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I heard my car (stock) next to stephans car with the borla at the same time. Its quiet when you want it to be but when you get on it it sounds NICE!

abolfaz - I am not sure why they are saying it is an 11 hour job unless they decided to pull the whole motor to install the muffler...lol. On a serious note we only charge $250 labor to install the muffler as long as you purchase the muffler from us. We try to be your one stop shop plus you are buying it from an authorized Ford Racing distributor and installer :)

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.

jack@musclemotors.com
http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Although it probably does sound throatier under load, I agree with AZGT, it would seem that the "big" benefit is the chrome tips.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Muscle Motor's installation quote certainly sounds in line to me. I wish these guys weren't all the way across the country. As I posted previously, I installed mine myself and the entire job was less than three hours. It wouldn't take eleven hours to install even with one hand tied behind your back. If you have access to a lift this is truely a DIY project.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
AZGT said:
Now after hearing it, I don't want to be a rabble rouser, but I can't say I really hear that much of a difference. I know some of the others have said it sounds significantly better. How does it sound to you? That much different?
:thumbsdow :thumbsup

It really doesn't sound that much different at idle. But under load it's really quite good. I shall try and get a couple of clips of it under load - it'll be great fun trying.

Kjd - the tips certainly look much better. I was going to respond that It would be somewhat akin to putting on racing stripes - woops! - now there's a thing... If you had told me a few years back that I'd be driving a car with racing stripes I'd have rolled around lauging!

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Biffom,

I hear you. :biggrin I will say that even though they're not for me, the stripes fit this car very, very well and tend to visually reduce the width of the front clip.

Kirk

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
biffom said:
It really doesn't sound that much different at idle. But under load it's really quite good. I shall try and get a couple of clips of it under load - it'll be great fun trying.

That would be great. Naturally, I get all kinds of images in my head of someone hanging out the window with the recorder :biggrin , or chasing in a Ferrari but can't keep up. :eek

Looking forward to it.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Florida Chris,
Any tips for those of us who want to do it ourselves? Is the removal of the clamshell really necessary? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
dbtgt said:
Florida Chris,
Any tips for those of us who want to do it ourselves? Is the removal of the clamshell really necessary? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin

There are no instructions sent with the Borla muffler, only a parts list. I do have a GT maintenance manual though so I looked up what it said to do for muffler removal. Not much, but here are the steps:

1. Remove air box
2. Remove rear diffuser
3. Remove rear lower valence panel
4. Remove muffler tips
5. Unbolt and remove muffler (from the top)

I found that removing the rear bumper helped, only 8 easy to get to bolts. (Thank you Muscle Motors for that suggestion)

You do not need to remove the rear clam. I cannot imagine why anyone would take the risk of damaging the clam by removing it or having to realign it for this installation.

One other problem…while the manual said to remove the exhaust tips and showed pipe clamps attaching them to the muffler, my stock muffler came with the tips welded in place. Ford must have changed this during the production run. No amount of twisting or turning would allow me to pull the old muffler with the tips in place so I ended up cutting them off. No problem once I did that.

Installation of the new muffler was just the reverse of above. Not a very difficult job. :thumbsup