Borla Exhaust

DallasMustang

*Supporting Vendor*
Nov 21, 2005
Just got off the phone with Ford Racing. Estimated backorder time is April 21st.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
StevA

Pretty amazing turnout given the weather - it was a little chilly for Southern California - I almost had to break out a sweater!

I really enjoy the mix of vehicles that you get at these events, vintage, muscle cars, exotica and obscure non vintage stuff. The star for me was the 50's era Ferrari convertible - just stunning. The best bit is that all the vehicles were driven there.

A question for you: Are the tips on your borla the stock tips or are they custom?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
biffom said:
StevA

Pretty amazing turnout given the weather - it was a little chilly for Southern California - I almost had to break out a sweater!

I really enjoy the mix of vehicles that you get at these events, vintage, muscle cars, exotica and obscure non vintage stuff. The star for me was the 50's era Ferrari convertible - just stunning. The best bit is that all the vehicles were driven there.

A question for you: Are the tips on your borla the stock tips or are they custom?

I liked the 61 Lincoln.
The tips are stock Borla but because the bumper is removed I cut
2 1/2" from the centers so the don't stick out so far.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Do you have any pictures

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
If you are looking for the Linclon.... :frown, if the tips there are some pics in the sound and Fury section. Look at the red GT under Sunday drive in So Cal.

Last edited:

Dirk P

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 18, 2006
Orlando Florida
Exhaust

I have had the Borla exhast on for a couple of weeks now. Larry Macedo of M2 Power here in Orlando installed them for me. He also re-flashed the black box for me.

One suggetion, Borla /Ford does not do a very good job in boxing up the exhaust for shipping. Mine came in scratched up so we sent it out to have it polished. It looks a hell of alot better polished. I would suggest that you have yours polished.

I picked up around 10 to 12 HP to the back wheels but picked up alot more Torque. Now getting 548 hp and 518 FPT to the back wheels. The programs also made a big difference in a smooth straight line power band.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I wonder if the hp increase came from the reflash or the muffler

Dirk P

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 18, 2006
Orlando Florida
increased HP

The increased HP came from the mufflers. Also the new borla/ford exhaust is 30 pounds lighter than the stock mufflers.

The programming that was installed was for 93 octane gas and I also have the programming for the 2.7 pully. This programming basicly fixed most of the peaks and valleys in fords orginal set up.

By the way, the car sounds FANTASTIC.

Last edited:

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Dirk P.

I sent you a e-mail yesterday. Could you send me M2 Power's phone number.

Thanks,

BLS

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2006
Winter Park, Florida
AMER SPD said:
Could you send me M2 Power's phone number.

Larry Macedo is the best thing that ever happened to a car guy who lives in the Central Florida area.

Here is his contact info:

Larry Macedo
Macedo Motorsports, LLC
407-246-6511- office
http://www.macedomotorsports.com

B

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Dirk P said:
The increased HP came from the mufflers. Also the new borla/ford exhaust is 30 pounds lighter than the stock mufflers.

The programming that was installed was for 93 octane gas and I also have the programming for the 2.7 pully. This programming basicly fixed most of the peaks and valleys in fords orginal set up.

By the way, the car sounds FANTASTIC.

I would seriously question that the Borla unit alone could add that much to the power and torque.

Dave

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
dito

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The guys at Kenne Bell claimed just yesterday that neither the muffler or the headers add any horsepower. I'm not sure I completely believe that, but it's probably just a few HP and may not be noticeable.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
TEXAS GT said:
The guys at Kenne Bell claimed just yesterday that neither the muffler or the headers add any horsepower. I'm not sure I completely believe that, but it's probably just a few HP and may not be noticeable.

The exhaust makes noise not power. That's true for many exhaust systems. The cat is the flow restirctor not the existing muffler.

I don't know about the headers. I would be surprised if you didn't get some increased power from them. Although John Coletti never changed the headers on the car he used for special testing so maybe that's correct.

Dave

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm no mechanic - but tinkering with the exhaust side of the business alone shouldn't make any difference.

....however! Current Aston Martins (Vanquish, DB9 etc) have an exhaust valve to meet 'European Drive By' regulations (so they're more quiet in towns). I am reliably informed (by Aston Martin Lagonda) that having these valves (which are valves within the exhaust pipe) removed adds about 5bhp to a 520bhp engine such as the Vanquish. Not sure why this would be - a more free breathing set of engine exhaust valves changing cam timing a fraction speeding the induction stroke?

I'm wildly guessing.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neilda said:
I'm no mechanic - but tinkering with the exhaust side of the business alone shouldn't make any difference.

....however! Current Aston Martins (Vanquish, DB9 etc) have an exhaust valve to meet 'European Drive By' regulations (so they're more quiet in towns). I am reliably informed (by Aston Martin Lagonda) that having these valves (which are valves within the exhaust pipe) removed adds about 5bhp to a 520bhp engine such as the Vanquish. Not sure why this would be - a more free breathing set of engine exhaust valves changing cam timing a fraction speeding the induction stroke?

I'm wildly guessing.

Neil

The new Z06 Vette has a straight through exhaust above 3,000 rpm at WOT. I guess this is similar, based on what I have read, to what AML has done. Why above 3000 rpm because there is no emission testing done above that engine speed.

Dave

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It bypasses the muffer only.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Yes, on the Astons, it's the muffler only.

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Ford Racing Exhaust

I got my selling dealer to agree to allow me to purchase/install the Ford Racing aftermarket exhaust at their cost, if bought within the first 6 months of ownership. Do I understand correctly that this unit is made by Borla? If so, can it be bought aftermarket cheaper than via Ford? Also, those who have it, (1) do you find a big difference re sound and (2) what was installation cost from a dealer? From much past experience, I don't expect any real increase in hp or torque, thus a more aggressive sound is the real goal.
Thanks,

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Stu,

it took a morning to install at a cost of $250. Eddie at Muscle Motors did mine - great job! No noticeable gain in power but it does sound meaner/racier when accelerating under load. At Idle it's very similar. With the windows closed you can now hear a bit of an exhaust note. It's in no way intrusive though.

I originally thought that the z8 Eisenhaus exhaust sound level was about the same as the stock GT - but I was able to creep into the garage without my dog noticing - something I am not able to do with the z8.

I did take some before and after video clips and I'll post links to them here - they are currently stuck in the google video verification phase....