NFGT auctioned at Shady Dana's House of Sleaze (Title Presented by DBK)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
No, denying warranty and parts is one of the few things that come to mind to make this worse.

How so? Why would that make this worse? Perhaps it would and I’m not seeing it right. When The Ayatollah took over Iran he inherited a squadron of F-14 Tomcats but denied replacement parts by our State Department those aircraft soon became unusable boat anchors. I can see no reason why warranty, service, and parts availability can’t be restricted to the owner contractually obligated to own the car for 24 months. What’s the downside?

Right now every part I buy for my new GT (my spare wheels, car covers, and all service parts) could not be purchased without permission from the GT concierge service. Nobody can just buy new Ford GT parts. How would this Mecham auction go if they had to announce that the car was being sold with no warranty, no parts availability, no computer software updates, and no access to the authorized GT dealer service departments. An announcement by Ford to that effect would crater the auction price of this GT. Let’s play hardball.

Chip

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
As much as I’d love to compare Iran to Mecum, it doesn’t work. The car has a warranty no matter who claims title. This car may have had two title holders by now. Regardless , if you deny Service and parts and someone, either the current scoundrel title holder, or worse, a third party gets hurt or killed based on the failure to adher to the warranty, a small problem, becomes a big problem. No way a manufacturer is going to deny warranty in this situation.

I’d hate to explain to a jury why I didn’t honor the warranty . However, I’m all for anyone who can stop this senseless auction. Really pisses me off and potentially adversely affects all current and future owners who played by the rules.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
As much as I’d love to compare Iran to Mecum...

:lol

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
How so? Why would that make this worse? Perhaps it would and I’m not seeing it right. When The Ayatollah took over Iran he inherited a squadron of F-14 Tomcats but denied replacement parts by our State Department those aircraft soon became unusable boat anchors. I can see no reason why warranty, service, and parts availability can’t be restricted to the owner contractually obligated to own the car for 24 months. What’s the downside?

Right now every part I buy for my new GT (my spare wheels, car covers, and all service parts) could not be purchased without permission from the GT concierge service. Nobody can just buy new Ford GT parts. How would this Mecham auction go if they had to announce that the car was being sold with no warranty, no parts availability, no computer software updates, and no access to the authorized GT dealer service departments. An announcement by Ford to that effect would crater the auction price of this GT. Let’s play hardball.

Chip

This may be off topic here .....but the 77 "IRIAF" F-14 never become boat anchors as you state...parts where cut off but where supplied thru black market after the revolution and then Reverse Engineering took over....they still fly today .....just posting few facts....as my father (a Brigadier general) and cousin flew F-14's under the Shah's regime and as cadet hoping to fly the F-14 I can speak to this topic.........I in no way support the new government or have any connection ...I was here in flight school (ERAU) When all that went down 1979 and never went back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MbrdMccNsM

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Another shitty situation caused by stupid jerks. This is the same as giving the finger to a great American company and all there employees, and especially to the many who applied and very deservedly should have got an allocation and didn't. I am not sure what Mecums hand is in all this, but I will never go to one there auctions, even if they start giving cars away. Yup, nothing is sacred anymore. I agree with the off with there head depiction posted earlier, scumbags. :mad

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
This does suck, Ford is still batting probably .990 on the lockup, which is really the best you could ask for. I think when year 2 hits you'll see who hits the bid and who is a true fan, it will be hard for many to pass up on the $$, especially when the bar is being set on national tv. At least those who wait 2 years honor their contract, but I think quite a few of these new diehard owners are thinking about cashing out in a couple years. Not you guys on here, but probably the other 15-30% will be cashing out. Just my best guess..

Tomcat

GT Owner
PM me.
This may be off topic here .....but the 77 "IRIAF" F-14 never become boat anchors as you state...parts where cut off but where supplied thru black market after the revolution and then Reverse Engineering took over....they still fly today .....just posting few facts....as my father (a Brigadier general) and cousin flew F-14's under the Shah's regime and as cadet hoping to fly the F-14 I can speak to this topic.........I in no way support the new government or have any connection ...I was here in flight school (ERAU) When all that went down 1979 and never went back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MbrdMccNsM

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
As much as I’d love to compare Iran to Mecum, it doesn’t work. The car has a warranty no matter who claims title. This car may have had two title holders by now. Regardless , if you deny Service and parts and someone, either the current scoundrel title holder, or worse, a third party gets hurt or killed based on the failure to adhere to the warranty, a small problem, becomes a big problem. No way a manufacturer is going to deny warranty in this situation. I’d hate to explain to a jury why I didn’t honor the warranty. However, I’m all for anyone who can stop this senseless auction. Really pisses me off and potentially adversely affects all current and future owners who played by the rules.

OK bro you got me. I didn't think of that liability aspect. I still think there is an angle to play here though. And hey, I thought my Iran/Mecham comparison was spot on!!!! OK maybe not. It's my understanding that Iran did have to ground most of their F-14 fleet for some time before they were able to establish back channel sources of parts but I'm not the foremost expert there. A new flipped GT owner probably doesn't have Iran's resources to buy black market or reverse engineered parts however. I'm just brainstorming and FoMoCo has a far better grasp of this than this old man.

Chip

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Could Ford just say" sure we will do the warranty work...........when we can get to it" ;) And Chip...can you and I get one of those F-14 things, re-re reverse forward engineer it and teach each other how to fly it????:facepalm::facepalm:

Tomcat

GT Owner
...It's my understanding that Iran did have to ground most of their F-14 fleet for some time before they were able to establish back channel sources of parts but I'm not the foremost expert there. ...

Chip

Any post with F-14 in it can't be wrong/bad!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Could Ford just say" sure we will do the warranty work...........when we can get to it" ;) And Chip...can you and I get one of those F-14 things, re-re reverse forward engineer it and teach each other how to fly it????:facepalm::facepalm:
Due to a lot of what Chip mentions...TomCats did not go to the Davis-Monthan boneyard like virtually all other "historic aircraft". They were chopped and shredded and even museums had to go through a special vetting process, etc...to get one.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

In the late 1990's while I was still flying air shows I got to know Dale Snodgrass who did two stints as the Navy's F-14 demo pilot. He loved the Tomcat but told me it's not a jet that anybody would ever want to own. Probably the most expensive fighter to fuel and maintain that has ever been produced. So complicated it needs about 50 man hours of maintenance for every flight hour and a cost of about $50,000.00 PER HOUR to fly. I'd much rather feed and maintain your L-39 Mike. The Tomcat is such a magnificent aircraft and I really miss seeing Dale wring it out at Oshkosh & Sun & Fun. If I had an opportunity I would pay $50,000 to fly one for an hour though. Cheers.

Chip

Tomcat

GT Owner
...Dale Snodgrass ...L-39

Chip

Captain Snodgrass is a legend...and the Albatros is as cool as they come.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Agreed on both counts Tomcat and Chip. F-14's don't come with a warranty...which is where the thread was headed before I hijacked it. I'm buggin out so back to the sleaze ball...

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
NFGT being auctioned at Shady Dana's House of Sleaze Indy (Title Presented by DBK)

Agreed on both counts Tomcat and Chip. F-14's don't come with a warranty...which is where the thread was headed before I hijacked it. I'm buggin out so back to the sleaze ball...

I like the hijacked topic better. “Talk to me Goose!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
This auction is on the "Highway to the Danger Zone"....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Class action of all owners with Integrity served on seller and Mecum?
Detrimental to the premise of the car experience better hope they make millions. Maybe the IRS needs to climb up someones flippin butt.

Mecum is off my list like a old cheap horse trader.

Last edited:

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Now, this is funny! Good one.

This auction is on the "Highway to the Danger Zone"....

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Captain Snodgrass is a legend...and the Albatros is as cool as they come.

Our super cool fighter pilot member Waldo invited me to his final change of command ceremony when he relinquished command of the Marine Corps Harrier “Black Sheep Squadron” a couple years ago. Afterward we retired to the Officers Club for cocktails and who walks in but “Snort” (Dale). Long since out of the Navy he was there on other business. The last place I thought I’d run into him again. We had a nice chat and I haven’t seen him since. Back in the day his girlfriend was another good friend of mine and aerobatic legend Patty Wagstaff. Great memories. And yeah this thread is way off the rails.

Chip