Your Advice - 2005 Laded?

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Your Advice - 2005 Loaded?

I've been looking at GT's for several months now, to add to my Z8 and '65 427 Cobra. As you all know, availability, dealer customer service, colors and some differences in option packages all come into play.
I located a new late production 2005 car today. (Red, wht stripe and fully loaded) with a $166945 MSRP. After visiting this particular dealership a few times, the sales mgr threw out a sales price of $156900. ($10k off MSRP)

This seems to be a great price for the car at this time, even given that it's a 2005.
Does anyone agree or have any thoughts before I take the plunge?

Your quick and candid comments are appreciated. :confused
Ahhhh, now the plot thickens. My dealership is changing their tune a bit. Seems "....the GM has made a quotation error and really meant a higher sales price...but he'd be really interested in selling at the higher price...".
I told them to sit on their car, as the market softens every week, I can get an '06 at MSRP or below and I'm in no rush at all. They seemed taken back by my leave-it attitude. Now they are regrouping to reconsider my proposals! I wait and am entertained!
StuM

Last edited:

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
At that price I would think the dealer will make a few thousand and you get a cool Ford GT, sounds fair.

If it is the car you want and you are comfortable with the deal, go for it.

Driving the GT is alot more fun than shopping for one :party

2005 Ford GT #1688 Silver/Black Stripes
—————————————————————————————————
Our other cars: 2006 Z06 DSOM / 2006 S55 Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 SSR Silver / 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata Red / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
steve said it all....amen! :wink

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Thanks - still considering

Seems this may have been a great deal 2-3 months ago, but now is just an "OK" deal. Like some other high end cars, this market can change fairly quickly. The market continues to soften and more and more better deals on identical cars are popping up more frequently. I'm in no rush so I may wait a bit to test a few other optional prospects first. For me, the hunt and meeting "car guys" is part of the fun of this hobby. It also gives me a better feel for each dealership and how they deal with their customers.

Just ordered a new hydraulic parking lift for my garage too, so I can stack my cars and fit another one in the bays. If only I'd bought a home with a barn!

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
I just paid 170K for a loaded 06, if thats any help to you.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
StuM said:
Seems this may have been a great deal 2-3 months ago, but now is just an "OK" deal. Like some other high end cars, this market can change fairly quickly. The market continues to soften and more and more better deals on identical cars are popping up more frequently. I'm in no rush so I may wait a bit to test a few other optional prospects first. For me, the hunt and meeting "car guys" is part of the fun of this hobby. It also gives me a better feel for each dealership and how they deal with their customers.

Just ordered a new hydraulic parking lift for my garage too, so I can stack my cars and fit another one in the bays. If only I'd bought a home with a barn!
Actually, a good price 2-3 months ago was around $168K.

This price is way below MSRP- there have been a couple of reports of sales a few thousand less, but
I agree, this is a very fair price. Hard to imagine that new cars will go for much less, this is already way below MSRP!

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
KERRY P said:
I just paid 170K for a loaded 06, if thats any help to you.

Why do people in california pay over MSRP, This is probably why the dealers local here want more than MSRP. I would think $10K off on a loaded 06 is a no brainer, why pay $170K??? Your talking a $14K difference. I guess $14K isn't that much money to some people.

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
You cant find loaded 06 cars for under 180K in California, I bought mine in Washington. There is dealing going on with 05 cars but not the 06 model yet. If you know any dealers willing to deal at 10 under, let me know, I have a lot of interested parties.

Last edited:

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
KERRY P said:
You cant find loaded 06 cars for under 180K in California, I bought mine in Washington. There is dealing going on with 05 cars but not the 06 model yet. If you know any dealers willing to deal at 10 under, let me know, I have a lot of interested parties.

I have been offered loaded 06's on ebay at $160K without trying. Your not working at it. If your serious then every time a new GT shows on Ebay email them your Name and Phone # and tell them what your willing to pay with a wire transfer. You should have no problem getting a big discount. You may have to go the Eastcoast to get it, I didn't say the the best deals were on the west coast, but there is a thing called a trucking company.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
As we have discussed on this forum many time before, if you wait maybe you could save another 5k or more or maybe when production nears an end the prices will go the other way. Either way I have been enjoying my car for the last six months and would not trade the time spent for 10K but thats just my opinion. Everyone has their own situation to cope with. The car is that awesome!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
StuM said:
I've been looking at GT's for several months now, to add to my Z8 and '65 427 Cobra.

StuM,

Not to hijack your thread, but I was wondering if you would mind sharing your thoughts and observations regarding the Z8 vs. the GT. I am considering one or the other as my next (and ultimate) car purchase.

Thanks.

waldo

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
I have a Z8 and a GT and from a driving perspective they are apples and oranges. I have driven another Z8 on the track about 3 months ago, but have not yet tracked a GT.

The Z8 is very disappointing on a track, but loads of fun on the road. I didn't expect it to be great, but it felt heavy and soft in the corners--brakes felt below average--it is one of the slowest cars I have ever tracked. It is an unusual (about 5700 made), stylish, quick "GT"--very strong build quality, a nice rumble and classic strong torque front engine feel. It has a nice trunk and BMW service facilities. The radio ranks as the worst for any car built after 1990. Prices are stable, with a slight upward bias --clean under 10k miles is about 90-100k with early condition 2/3 cars going in 80's.

The GT is much, much faster--although it specs about .5 second faster 0-60--that is an abberation. Passing acceleration and high end acceleration is in a different zip code than the Z8. Cornering is night and day. The GT feels closer to a true race car than most high end street GTs. Rear visibility is very poor. Build quality is a step back from the Z8 but still solid. In the time I've put 500 miles on the GT, I only put about 100 on the Z8.

The two cars are not substitutes, but complements. If you had to pick one, carpe diem! It must be the GT.

I am interested in Stum's views .....

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I've noticed that the 06 GT's on Ebay are Lucky to Crack $160K by Auction end. Most of them are $150-158K by Auction end, which means they are not moving. Other than the Tungsten and Gulfstream cars which are going to bring more because there new colors . It is my understanding that Ford will produce 1,700 06 Gt's which means supply will far out do demand for a longtime to come not including the 100's of 05's still out there for sale. Keep in mind Ford dealers for the most part "Floor" these cars paying interest every month which in the case of the GT your paying interest on $150K a month which is same as flooring 4-5 F150's. They want to move these, There business in 05 was horrible and 06 doesn't look any better for the Big 3. I've seen 05's being bought on this Forum for $14K Off MSRP, which means the 06's will soon follow considering there the exact same car. Time will Tell.

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
I'm with Saber, you are either an owner or a spectator, depending on how long you want to wait for the joy of driving one of these super cars.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
At 10k off the dealer is making just short of 4k. Thats not much on a 150k investment. There may be a little room left if he really wants to sell but remember, you may need him later for warranty issues! I think it's a great deal and it should be bought for that. It is a great machine. For what it's worth, after production ends I think these cars will bounce back up around 175-180k. In time they may even see 200k again if nothing else compares to it! Just my .02 worth. Buy and enjoy!

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
05 Ford GT said:
At 10k off the dealer is making just short of 4k. Thats not much on a 150k investment. There may be a little room left if he really wants to sell but remember, you may need him later for warranty issues! I think it's a great deal and it should be bought for that. It is a great machine. For what it's worth, after production ends I think these cars will bounce back up around 175-180k. In time they may even see 200k again if nothing else compares to it! Just my .02 worth. Buy and enjoy!

No one on this Forum will live long enough for these cars to get back to $200K. Plain and simple they made too many, The problem is 20 years from now there will still be over 3500 GT's(Out of a production of 4000) on the road. These are not 1967 GT500 Shelby's of which Half Remain from the original production, the rest went to the Boneyard. Most of these GT's will not be driven alot therefore few will be be wrecked or destroyed. I think they will continue to decrease in value and eventually level off at about $100K or so where they will remain. Just my common sense.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I'm going to throw my 2 cents on this and thats what its worth..I hope I make it more than 20 years...I'm only 34 but who knows...live every day as your last.

I tend to agree with Saber..as the run ends and cars sit on showrooms...someone that has been waiting for the bottom and finds out there are only 10 white with blue stripes in the country will do whatever to make sure he gets one. I think, and I am probably wrong, but most of the cars that I have seen people getting great deals on have been Red and white's...looking at the orders its seems that we have almost 50% of the cars in Red and White...so you have a glut of those on the market...makes sense that if you just want a GT and don't care what color then take what you can get the best price on.

I think Vipers are a great example of where these cars will go...they will go down but I don't see them ever getting under about 120-130....take the
96/97 B&W Vipers..sold for 70K..were as low as 40 for a while and now you are hard pressed to find a stock car low miles for below 50 if you can..

Cars will be wrecked...or will have accidents and all of a sudden parting out a GT is better than repairing it..thats another car off the road...

Me...I have my price set on the car I ordered the way I wanted it...and yes I got the radio..not the rims :) but I was going to wait and buy a used White with Blue until the Heritage came out...to me its worth the money to get the car the way I want...when I want...and I get to document everything on the car from order to delivery...just me.

Matt

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The interesting question is when will all the Ford Dealer cars surface? What I mean is when will all the GT's the "Dealers" Socked away for themselves begin showing up for sale, Now that the dealers have figured out these GT's aren't Gold plated for the long run they will start to cut loose of theres which will bring even more 05 GT's back to the market. These cars probably don't show up on dealer locates because the dealers felt they were going to be worth $300K forever. I have already seen a couple of these show on Ebay with 150 or so miles and stated that these were the Dealers car. Its also interesting that a Dealer GT with 150 miles on it gets way less attention on Ebay then the same car with 5 miles. I personally will want a new GT with no miles myself. :cheers

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Z8 vs GT

First, thanks to everyone for your insights. I will take the plunge as soon as I have the time to get back to "car buying" vs real work!

WALDO- re the Z8 vs the GT, I think drive4fun hit it on the head. I've had several BMW's including M5's, M3's and an 4.8 X5. All have been great cars. The Z8 is wonderful on the road - smooth, powerful, comfortable and handles well. It is really a fast GT car, but not a race car. I also find it's style and design to be truly unique, timeless and beautiful. I tracked one a few years ago at Sears Point and again, drive4fun is on the money. Without upgrades like a full Dinan set-up, it's somewhat soft. You need to turn off the DSC as well, or else the engine and suspension will bog down in "nanny mode".
I just love the Z8 out on a drive though. Of all my cars, it's been the most enjoyable for a Sunday drive and it sure gets the smiles, thumbs up and nice comments. Fit and finish are exceptional and BMW full service and extended warranty make ownership a breeze. If you find a good BMW service shop, they really take car of you and their cars. I don't find the radio that poor, but the navigation system is a bit of a joke. I often drive it back to back with my 427 S/C Cobra from Superformance and I tell people, they're the same only different. Both classic open roadsters; one a wild, noisy beast and other a tame, refined touring car.

Re the GT's, at least here in Texas, I have found that as dealers determine you are for real and ready to buy, they quickly drop their sky-high price expectations and talk turkey. In some cases even before I'm really ready to bite. It's obvious some are dying with floor-planned cars which most likely have a limited market, at least in their areas. Pick-up trucks, of course, are king here and many have said they'd really rather have 5 F-250's then a single GT to sell! One dealer stated, "...this isn't an auto museum, but the GT seems to be simply an art object in the showroom...lots of lookers, but no buyers..."!
I've owned many, many auto's over the years and can't wait to gain full ownership of a GT, based on all of your postive comments about this car. Soon, I hope to change over to "GT owner" from "spectator"!
Thanks again. Keep those comments coming!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Not to be offensive, the Z8 would be a great $85,000 car, the problem is BMW has priced the car to high. I drove one in Scottsdale for a week, enjoyed the car and would spring $85k tops.