X-Pel Clear Bra Paint & Headlight Protection Kits

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I have had both 3M and Ventureshield for 5 yrs. car has been garage kept in sunny Fl. Car is white and the film is yellowing visibly. Went back to my dealer to get it replaced under the five year warranty and 3M ( who now owns Ventureshield) denied the claim. Needless to say I'm unhappy and planning to remove the film and not replace it. I also have some old film on a daily driver that has been sun exposed that has cracked to the point it only comes off in little flakes and basically looks like poo and can't be removed. 3M is aware of this issue as well and denied the claim to repair this as well.

EA40

GT Owner
Feb 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is Xpel the same as 3M?

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
3M owns Venture Shield but the films are different.

Xpel manufactures its own film.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Have had Venture Shield (version II - before 3M bought Venture Shield) on my silver Volvo since it was new ~ six (6) years and 145K miles, it has never been in a garage. The product appears just as when first applied ~ clear, no yellowing and no orange peel. Saved the front end of the car!! Now on the GT front fascia. lower rockers, dog leg and headlights. As new, but haven't had the UV and road exposure that the Volvo has endured!

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
Checked out Expel at SEMA last November. Quite nice product. The new Expel product self heals if it is scratched. They actually rubbed it with sandpaper and then poured hot water over it and it corrects itself and looked as good as new!!

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
That is the new Ultimate film by Xpel. Here is a video of the film.

http://youtu.be/fUqzFvRw4-A

EA40

GT Owner
Feb 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That is the new Ultimate film by Xpel. Here is a video of the film.

http://youtu.be/fUqzFvRw4-A

That vid seals the deal for me ... pun intended :rofl :facepalm:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Well be forwarned!!! I just pulled that yellowing film off my car and found MAJOR damage to the paint on the hood. I will try to get some photos to display. I'm not even sure how to describe it. Looks like deep grooves and warts, almost as if it was a problem under the paint. Only happened where the film touched it and only on the composite portions - the aluminum panels look good. I think it will require a total repaint to repair. I'm sick! Photos tomorrow and looking forward to input from the gurus here.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Well be forwarned!!! I just pulled that yellowing film off my car and found MAJOR damage to the paint on the hood. I will try to get some photos to display. I'm not even sure how to describe it. Looks like deep grooves and warts, almost as if it was a problem under the paint. Only happened where the film touched it and only on the composite portions - the aluminum panels look good. I think it will require a total repaint to repair. I'm sick! Photos tomorrow and looking forward to input from the gurus here.

Bummer!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

If the product literature spoke to removal without damage, I would of course go back to them for support. Good luck. Sorry man.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Perusing the Forum I did find a thread that talked about bad paint on hoods of a few GT's in the past. I suspect it could be that issue?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?19918-Hood-Corrosion&highlight=paint+hood

If so I will take Shelby's suggestion to try to get it wet sanded and buffed.