Would the V-10 have fit the Ford GT?

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
When I saw the V-10 in the Cobra Concept car with its 605 hp., normally aspirated, I wondered why they didn't try it in the Ford GT and thus kept more power (Motor Trend says the Ford GT loses 100 hp. driving the blower and other items).

Or is it because it wasn't ready yet? Or because it's not in production like the Ford GT block was (as a Navigator block).

You can't say it wouldn't fit because the Cobra Concept roadster uses a Ford GT frame modified to carry the engine up front.

Also I noticed the engine changed its looks from the Cobra roadster to the Cobra GR-1 coupe. It no longer looks like it has old fashioned Webers ( know they were injectors but they looked like Webers). So does that mean it's being tamed for production? Does anyone know if the Cobra roadster is dead as far as a future from Ford in favor of the coupe? I can't help thinking the coupe will have a more limited market,just look at any sports car where there's a coupe and roadster, Ferrari for instnce will sell more F430 roadsters in American than coupes. I think Aston will too. And even the new Jag though they are introducing the coupe only at first to give it a head start ahead of the ragtop.

I thougt the Cobra roadster was OK except for the grille cavity shape, maybe they could do a makeover and re-intro it. It's been done--the present Cadillac XLR is due for a makeover and it's only two years old.

Apropos of nothing: Where did John Coletti go after he left Ford? Is he tied in with another automaker? Why did he leave Ford? True they weren't making SVT cars at the time but some were in the pipeline...so I am sure it wasn't a case of him having nothing to do. Books like Larry Edsall's say he was the driving force behind the Ford GT.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They V10 was an option, but the SC 5.4 V8 was a proven commodity. I'm sure the V10 would have fit, but when you have a motor as good as the 5.4 in the wings and a timeline so short, go with what you know. Colletti wanted it, and he got it.

The Cobra roadster is dead.

Colletti retired because it was time to move on, as SVT was at a dead spot in the product cycle and Hau Thai-Tang was a ready-made replacement after finishing off the S197 project, which will be the next SVT product. I think his vision of SVT and the direction Phil Martens(who is, very, very sadly gone as of this week) and others wanted may have differed...that's just conjecture though.