Won the prize at the Colorado Good Guys Show Sunday

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It seems rare that people here mention car shows but I do attend them. My principal motivation is to go and take pictures, I bring my car and if I get something fine, but that's not the purpose. Most of the time I'm not anywhere near it.

A friend and I went to the Good Guys show yesterday. It's a simple decision to enter - with a coupon it was $30, and you get 2 passes in which were $18. So he bought a couple of liqud refreshments. I put the bonnet up and we went looking at the other cars. I went back and someone there told me I was being asked to move the car to "the winner's circle" but I was told by the guy at the gate I should have some sticker on the headlight, which I didn't have. Found a guy with a radio, and the response was "yep, we want the robin egg blue Ford down there lickety split (there was about 1/2 hour to go).

I got what I think was "best of Sunday" which was an open competition for all classes and dates. The rest of Good Guys is pre-1972 but on Sunday they have all cars all dates.

I will say that of all the cars there (probably 1500) more light was captured into digital cameras off the GT than any other single car.

Pictures to follow tonight.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Good for you! Congrats!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Nice work!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
A similar thing happened to me last fall. The head of snowcat maintenance at the ski area talked me into entering my GT in the Owens Valley Cruisers Fall Colors Car Show, telling me I had to be in Bishop early, so I drove down. When I got there, I found out the show was only for pre-1974 cars. But, as I was about to return home, they decided that my car was a continuation series, as they had quite a few Cobra replicars which were obviously of later vintage. So, they entered it as a '69 GT40 replicar, and I put it the Factory Hi-Po/Muscle-Stock class.

View attachment 25366

As you can see, it gathered a bit of attention!

View attachment 25367

I wound up taking 2nd place, behind a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL. At least it was a Ford that eclipsed me.

Here's a link to the show:

http://owensvalleycruisers.com/photo.htm

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great stories Tony and Ralph!!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Wonderful and congratulations! There's hope for the rest of us.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Congratulations. Makes the day nicer when you walk away with something unexpected.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Congratulations twobjshelbys and Ralphie

I had the same kind of thing happen as when I entered the Big Bend Open Race in 2010 I didn't realize that there was a car show included in the event. All the drivers were asked to park their cars around the courthouse on the town square the day before the event for the public to view the cars. The night when the race was over they were giving out awards and I was called up for Best of Show by Peoples Choice out of something like 160 cars which was quite a nice surprise.

Last edited: