witch replica ac cobra is a good one to buy

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
We have had several Kirkhams. Their build quality is hard to beat...
Here is one we have for sale now
http://eliteautosllc.com/vehicle/shelby-cobra-kirkham-2/

That is beautiful! Aren't ALL Kirkhams aluminum-bodied?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That is beautiful! Aren't ALL Kirkhams aluminum-bodied?

Yes

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
We have had several Kirkhams. Their build quality is hard to beat...
Here is one we have for sale now
http://eliteautosllc.com/vehicle/shelby-cobra-kirkham-2/

nice

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
anyone know, good or bad on back draft cobras

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I have owned 3 Cobras over the past decade or so. First was an early CSX4000 fiberglass car. The reliability and quality all comes down to who assembled it as at that time it did not come out of SA assembled. Mine was assembled by one of the premier builders in the East, Bill Andrews at HRE Motorcars. Cobra number two was a Kirkham FIA on a 427 chassis. Also final assembly by Bill Andrews. Last was a Contemporary FIA(they only produced 7). Exceptional car like my first two. I have lost track of the status of the CSX cars as at some time I think the bodies were outsourced. Kirk ham are exceptional cars. SPF now that piece has been made with SAI has elevated their game and appear great. Also to throw in the mix as a quality car are the ERA cobras....again all comes down to who did the build , their attention to detail, etc. Good luck with the search.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Just read this from an eBay auction for a CSX4000 and I just had to post it:

This car has the worst ride quality, your feet burn from the massive engine the other side of the firewall, your face & hands get cold from the breeze, your legs are canted to the left, the seats do not support you, its loud, obnoxious and vibrates light a jack hammer, if you stop concentrating it wants to kill you at every opportunity but I promise the smile will never leave your face. It is by far the most fun you can have behind the wheel.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just read this from an eBay auction for a CSX4000 and I just had to post it:

This car has the worst ride quality, your feet burn from the massive engine the other side of the firewall, your face & hands get cold from the breeze, your legs are canted to the left, the seats do not support you, its loud, obnoxious and vibrates light a jack hammer, if you stop concentrating it wants to kill you at every opportunity but I promise the smile will never leave your face. It is by far the most fun you can have behind the wheel.

See what I mean?

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I love my CSX4000 427 cobra- I enjoy taking it out every bit as much as the FGT. That said, it sure isn't the car for everybody.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 84

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I love my CSX4000 427 cobra- I enjoy taking it out every bit as much as the FGT. That said, it sure isn't the car for everybody.
Nice garage:thumbsup

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich

i like the charger too i have a 1970 R/T 1st car got in 77 and still have i would love a csx4000 but i need somthing i can just drive around and have somr fun in too

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Nice garage:thumbsup

thank you.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
i like the charger too i have a 1970 R/T 1st car got in 77 and still have i would love a csx4000 but i need somthing i can just drive around and have somr fun in too

I understand.

Very cool that you have had your '70 that long! I have a '70 too (just a 383 car), that my dad bought new. It was the car that ignited my passion for performance vehicles.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Im looking for a 60k cobra stroked small block maybe big block superformace, factory five, back-draft witch is the best.

You really need to look at the Unique Motorcars Cobras in Gadsden Alabama, unique@uniquemotorcars.com, 256-546-3708. They are every bit as good as the SPF, Shelby, Kirkham and ERA. Also the Unique factory support can not be beat and that is not an exaggeration. They unquestionably stand behind their cars way after what you would consider a normal new car support would be, like 30 years for example. These are the nicest and most helpful folks you will ever meet in your life. They are in your price range. They even have a 30+ year old contract with SAI to manufacture replicas which most don't if that is important to you. You'll be sorry if you don't check them out.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You really need to look at the Unique Motorcars Cobras in Gadsden Alabama, unique@uniquemotorcars.com, 256-546-3708. They are every bit as good as the SPF, Shelby, Kirkham and ERA. Also the Unique factory support can not be beat and that is not an exaggeration. They unquestionably stand behind their cars way after what you would consider a normal new car warrantee would be, like 30 years for example. These are the nicest and most helpful folks you will ever meet in your life. They are in your price range. They even have a 30+ year old contract with SAI to manufacture replicas which most don't if that is important to you. You'll be sorry if you don't check them out.

They are not a Shelby American subcontract manufacturer. Those honors go to HiTech (who also makes Superformance), Kirkham, and whatever is left of the old AC group that still builds a few cars now and then (CSX1000 alloy cars). To me the best non-alloy cars were built by HST (including my carbon fiber car) but they are out of business.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
They are not a Shelby American subcontract manufacturer. Those honors go to HiTech (who also makes Superformance), Kirkham, and whatever is left of the old AC group that still builds a few cars now and then (CSX1000 alloy cars). To me the best non-alloy cars were built by HST (including my carbon fiber car) but they are out of business.

Unique has nothing to do with sub-contracting to SAI. They have an old contract with Ford/Shelby that stood up in a court case when Shelby was trying to run everyone out of business through law suites. Again, they don't have to pay Shelby a fee to make cobras because they have a very old binding contract to manufacture Cobra replicas. I don't know how to legally explain it better than that. They have been building high quality replicas for over 40 years, with improvements through the years of course. I believe they've been manufacturing Cobras since 1970s in Arkansas(?) and then moved to Alabama, but don't hold me to that exact date, you'll have to ask them when they were founded. I think that says a lot. Here's a better link www.uniquemotorcars.com .

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Unique has nothing to do with sub-contracting to SAI. They have an old contract with Ford/Shelby that stood up in a court case when Shelby was trying to run everyone out of business through law suites. Again, they don't have to pay Shelby a fee to make cobras because they have a very old binding contract to manufacture Cobra replicas. I don't know how to legally explain it better than that. They have been building high quality replicas for over 40 years, with improvements through the years of course. I believe they've been manufacturing Cobras since 1969, but don't hold me to that exact date, you'll have to ask them when they were founded. I think that says a lot.
This then goes back to the law suit days over Shelby and his trade dress aka trade mark days. Being able to use a logo with impunity.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
This then goes back to the law suit days over Shelby and his trade dress aka trade mark days. Being able to use a logo with impunity.

Yes, that's exactly correct. The only restriction Unique has is they can't place Shelby badges on their cars, but of course owners can put whatever badges they want on their cars after purchasing. They sell completely assembled cars (drive off the lot cars), and very complete roller kits that only need an engine/tranny and paint added. They are wonderful people to deal with.