Why go for the optional wheels???

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Why pay 5K for the wheel option when you can buy a set at SVT for 4K???
This way you would still have the standard wheels the car came with, to use for open track days with some racey tires etc...

Front wheel:
M-1007-GTF*
Optional front wheel available on 2005 Ford GT

Suggested Retail $940.00

Rear wheel:
M-1007-GTR*
Optional rear wheel available on 2005 Ford GT

Suggested Retail $999.00

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
centerpunch said:
Some of us also think the standard wheels look better!

I could agree...
I took over an existing order and couldn't change back the optional wheels, but my plan was to have made the wheels look like THIS
I think it looks very nice (a bit more vintage suddenly).. right??

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
And it would also make your car stand out from the other 7 Red/ws at the car show... :biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I too preferred the look of the standard wheels. I bought a set of the optional wheels (post delivery) as well though to mount track rubber on.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
I like your way of thinking!
What about having a good paint shop apply stripes, instead of paying, what is it, like $5000 for factory stripes? I've seen some paint shops that can do a better job than the factory, in certain cases. I just don't know if stripes is one of those cases?

one of 101 said:
This way you would still have the standard wheels the car came with, to use for open track days with some racey tires etc...

Front wheel:
M-1007-GTF*

Suggested Retail $940.00

Rear wheel:
M-1007-GTR*

Suggested Retail $999.00

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Vic,
My car acually has no stripes (I took over a car ordered by Ford Europe), and I'm having stripes applied in vinyl on tuesday...

The reason why I'm not having them painted is that I like the idea that the car can go back to it's original state one day...

On the wheel issue, does anyone know where to buy a set of the standard wheels?? and what about price??

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
While I cannot speak for European Ford dealers, the standard wheels should be no problem to order from any US Ford parts department. I don't know what they go for but I would guess less than the optional forged rims.

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
one of 101 said:

Front wheel:
M-1007-GTF*

Suggested Retail $940.00

Rear wheel:
M-1007-GTR*

Suggested Retail $999.00

Thanks for the tip. I just switched my order to the standard wheels. I heard Ford Racing is coming out with some interesting wheel options.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Nice. Just saved the old man 2K...

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
At first I didn't understand this thread because forged wheels sticker for $3500 (not 5000). If you buy forged wheels after the fact they are $3878 (2x999 + 2x940). So if you order the car with standard wheels and buy forged after the fact, its like getting a set of std wheels for $378.

That I get... :biggrin