Whipple rework

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Just got the supercharger back and after inspecting the opening on the throttle body it is not port matched. I'm thinking about looking for some gains on my setup . I don't understand how this blower is so inefficient on our 5.4 L . It might be the low compression of the GT motors but the same supercharger on a mustang produces 200 more horsepower. A small TVS on a Older 5.4 Shelby makes the same numbers as these 4.0 s on our cars. I am not impressed with this Whipple . I broke a drive gear and spun a bearing . I'm maxed out at 21psi based on RPM. They claim big boost numbers and when I challenged them they said higher boost levels are on smaller motors with poor flowing heads.😩

I run the 3.25 pulley with a larger crank . $2500 to fix and I'm hoping it will handle this power. Has anyone been fast with these blowers? Don't get me wrong my car is a beast but I feel like I'm overkill for lame numbers . I might rework this blower and see what happens . I'll keep you posted . Until then someone talk TVS to not making a blower for our Gts I'm not a newbie for making fast cars faster but I need a good combo and I'm not sure this is it .

I marked with a maker how far off the throttle body is .with these and roots you want as little restriction as possible before the blower . Not sure if there are anymore gains to be made on the blower itself .

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 429

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Looks good on the living room floor. Just put a glass coffee table over it and move on. :biggrin :thumbsup

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Looking at the inside I would think at least polishing the fins and the roughy cast on the inlet side might help .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 364
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 378

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Mark, it doesn't look to me like your marker captured all of the meat standing in the way. Just make sure you seal off the rotors well, as you know. Don't want a shaving embolizing into those rotors. I am interested to learn if you find any noticeable gains.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Mark, it doesn't look to me like your marker captured all of the meat standing in the way. Just make sure you seal off the rotors well, as you know. Don't want a shaving embolizing into those rotors. I am interested to learn if you find any noticeable gains.

Yes just a quick markup to show the gap. The rotors will come out . I hope this is worth the effort. I really don't need to do it but I can't stand poor designs . I might call whipple and ask them if I'm wasting time doing this Mod . I was hoping someone here did this already . Maybe I'll call Mile in Canada he had a fast whipple in the Mile . Then he switched to the bigger Kbell

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Yes just a quick markup to show the gap. The rotors will come out . I hope this is worth the effort. I really don't need to do it but I can't stand poor designs . I might call whipple and ask them if I'm wasting time doing this Mod . I was hoping someone here did this already . Maybe I'll call Mile in Canada he had a fast whipple in the Mile . Then he switched to the bigger Kbell

:thumbsup

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Kbell is an interesting idea.
I have a Heffner TT car, but would be interested in the results of that experiment.
Maybe time for me to go SC/TT.
Best,
Mark

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I have a Heffner TT car, but would be interested in the results of that experiment.
Best,
Mark

Maybe time to go procharger like Dan did. At least I'm a procharger dealer . Lol

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Best,
Mark

In your 666th post you regency going SC/TT, perhaps the sign of something ominous?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Are your intake tubes the version from the GT Guys with the filters behind the wheel well shielding?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Are your intake tubes the version from the GT Guys with the filters behind the wheel well shielding?

Custom made . Light weight and not $4000 and has a bigger housing so I do not need a mass air extender . Thinking about making some air inlets ducts thru the rear marker lights.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
In your 666th post you regency going SC/TT, perhaps the sign of something ominous?

Quite possible!!!!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
"Thinking about making some air inlets ducts thru the rear marker lights. "
now you're just showing off !!! lol very nice workmanship!

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Looks good. Intakes like this make great power on the dyno, but can be difficult to tune for a smooth idle.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
As in lumpy race car idle or difficult to keep running poor idle?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I tried a similar intake that caused the car to stall without continuous throttle input.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I tried a similar intake that caused the car to stall without continuous throttle input.

No issues running at idle to WOT. Runs as good as stock. Tuner is the problem if it stalls . Or other issues like vacuume leak,dirty mass air. Etc... I love the feedback but I have real world experience . I did get lucky with the oversized tube so I did not need the mafia extender and the mass air numbers are right on . It was a guess at the time .
Ar

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
SMOKDU, who did your tuning? On a Dyno or with Data logging?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
SMOKDU, who did your tuning? On a Dyno or with Data logging?

Torrie. And both Dyno and Data. The only issue I had was a fuel rail spike between shifts because of the BAP . Fixes that with some fine tuning using my pro software and talking with race buddy's and tuners . We tuned down the pressure between shifts in the tune to get rrid of fuel cut out I also tuned for E50 and E85 myself . I have about 10 tunes ranging from 93 to race gas and a few Ethanol tunes. If you have stalling and codes you have a tune issue.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Tuning can play a role, but the idle issue is more likely a result of the MAF placement. They can be very sensitive to turbulence, and it sounds like you have found a good position for the sensor on your intake.