Which GT to buy?

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Hi all, im looking to get a 4 option 2006 Ford GT. Have narrowed down to the following:

1. Black with 12k mi - priced in high 300’s
2. Red with 5k mi - priced in low 400’s
3. Red with 2k mi - priced in mid 400s
4. Silver with 600 mi - priced in high 400s

Which is the correct balance of color and mileage vs price. Thanks for your advice.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
It doesn't matter which one you buy. As long as they all are good cars, you will be ecstatic with your purchase. If it were me, I'd buy the Black with 12k miles on it and drive it as much as possible. You can wrack up those miles guilt free and the depreciation hit due to the addition of miles will be much lower.

I purposely searched out and bought my car, which had 16k miles on it, so I could enjoy it and drive, drive, drive. Three months after I purchased my 16k mile car I drove it from Vegas back to my home in Canmore, Alberta for a total of 1362 miles on that single trip. I made that trip with my wife and it was freakin epic! I didn't want a low mileage car because they cost a ton and they may have some mechanical issues due to sitting for 15 years (but typically those issues are an easy fix).

If you want to buy a GT, park it in the garage, stare at it and proclaim "how awesome the car is" then buy the silver one with 600 miles on it. You won't be wrong in your assessment. Don't drive it, put it on display and wax the shit out of it. It'll be a great investment over time.

If you, for some reason, decide to buy that silver one with 600 miles on it and subsequently drive the shit out of it, look me up and I'll buy you dinner, scotch, beers or whatever we can "cheers" over because you'll be "ok" in my books.

Just depends on what your objectives are when buying a GT. Ultimately it doesn't really matter, if it's a good car, you can't go wrong.

QSS

Attachments

• 20190915_063506.jpg
    20190915_063506.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190915_112414.jpg
    20190915_112414.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I think you said it.. I already have an Italian garage queen.. looking for something less exotic, yet special and drive to cars and coffee etc. and something that does not depreciate as much. I think the 600 mile car would be equally driven , but result in more maintenance issues. Which of these colors are more in trend for the GT these days?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
First off, Welcome!

It does seem as though the non-red colors might sell for somewhat more, although how much I don't know, hard to determine. And remember only 154 Quick Silver GTs were made, the lowest quantity of all colors besides the single Sonic Blue car:

Sonic Blue 1
Quick Silver Metallic 154
Speed Yellow 171
Heritage 343
Midnight Blue Metallic 455
Mark II Black 529
Tungsten 541
Centennial White 726
Mark IV Red 1,113

As for mileage, a 2k mi car could be in worse condition than a 12k mi car; ie How did the previous owner(s) treat, store and maintain it. So if I was you I'd pick the one you think is the best candidate for you, have it inspected (or do it yourself), and either buy that one, or if it's lacking in some way move down your list.

Good luck! ... and please post back once you're made a decision, and show some pics! (y) :cool:

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
By the way, the red GT with 5k miles is modded with whipped SC+ tune.. how is a modified GT to drive and maintain? Does it diminish in value?

WhippleGT

GT Owner
May 23, 2022
By the way, the red GT with 5k miles is modded with whipped SC+ tune.. how is a modified GT to drive and maintain? Does it diminish in value?
Hello Newgt
My GT is also modded with a 4L Whipple. The car runs perfect. No issues. The maintenance is the same as the original (Eaton) SC. The loss in value is certainly not high. However, it is important that the original parts are included with the vehicle. A GT in its original condition will probably sell more quickly. I was specifically looking for a whipple GT with bumper delete. I love the extra power and the looks

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Buy the car color that you like. Be sure the car has not been in an accident and get a pre-purchase inspection.

Reactions: Nafod

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Have you looked at the results on Bring a Trailer? If the car you like has miles on it, a PPI by a reputable person is absolutely necessary!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Key advice here is to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) for any of these GTs you select. Rich Robach aka GT Tech lives in Kingman AZ and can do a PPI for you. Will send you his contact info.

Reactions: Newgt

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Mikeage irrelevant IMHO. As others stated, a PPI is key, as is knowing the vehicle’s history, including services done and by whom. A whipple if installed and tuned properly is nice

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Happy New Year guys!! I Appreciate all your valuable input.

Update:
1. Black GT w/ 12k mi seems to be 3 option car looking at the original sticker, but the calipers are painted black. Some service records available.
2. Red GT w/ 5k mi & whipple- 0 service records and no documentation.
3. Red GT w/ 2k mi - ALL service records and ALL documentation since day1. New Tires
4. Tungsten GT w/600 miles - no records. New Tires, oil change.

I like black color the most, but not sure how big of a deal is knowing it’s a 3 option car.? (It is priced lower too)

Note sure if it’s practical to PPI all cars, but I need to narrow down this list.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Calipers painted silver or red are the option. Calipers painted black are standard.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
For me I'd be shooting for the one least likely to have any stories / accident history / flaws / fewest prior owners, and I'd want as much documented history as possible, and I weight those things much more than price, so for me it'd be #3 the 2k-mi red with documentation. But you like the black one, so I'd start with it (y) at least go see it (if you haven't already), and much preferably get a PPI done by a GT expert if at all possible.

As for price vs options, after watching about 100 Bring a Trailer GT auctions, I feel like the only option that 'might' affect price is stripes: Buyers seem to sometimes value GTs without stripes higher than with, possibly because they like the look better, maybe because they're more rare, but again not entirely sure about it. I could show examples where a no-stripes seems to have sold for more than one with, but also vice versa. As for the other 3 options, prices don't seem to be affected by having or not having the Upgrade forged wheels, the Upgrade McIntosh stereo or the red or grey painted brake calipers.

Reactions: 93extxdps

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Why are you buying? If it's purely an investment, then go for lowest miles because investors like that. If buying to drive and use as aGT should be used, mileage is irrelevant to because the cars are essentially bullet-proof. Pick the colour and options you want (BTW, blue is best) and drive the crap out of it!

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I am buying because I have always wanted one, and with each year gone by they have been out of reach. 2 years ago I almost bought one, but my wife made me go for a 1 of 600 lambo - it’s value at best has held steady. but I drive it on occasion.. maybe 200 miles/yr.

Now I’m able to add another car, and want to fulfill my dream of having a GT. Ironically the GT has appreciated more in comparison lol. I do want to drive it and enjoy it more than the lambo, whenever time permits.. probably more like 500-600 miles/yr.

Based on this discussion, I’m narrowing down to #1 and #3. (A price difference of 65k between the two!!)

Dudlow

GT Owner
Nov 8, 2020
London UK
I am buying because I have always wanted one, and with each year gone by they have been out of reach. 2 years ago I almost bought one, but my wife made me go for a 1 of 600 lambo - it’s value at best has held steady. but I drive it on occasion.. maybe 200 miles/yr.

Now I’m able to add another car, and want to fulfill my dream of having a GT. Ironically the GT has appreciated more in comparison lol. I do want to drive it and enjoy it more than the lambo, whenever time permits.. probably more like 500-600 miles/yr.

Based on this discussion, I’m narrowing down to #1 and #3. (A price difference of 65k between the two!!)
Forget the wife and buy what you want.........man up ! Get her a new handbag and she will be fine.

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Forget the wife and buy what you want.........man up ! Get her a new handbag and she will be fine.
Thanks for the advice.. as for the man up thing, good luck with the modern woman.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Black all the way if the PPI goes well. Paint correct it, Xpel it everywhere, and drive it. You won't regret it.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I can imagine that low mileage GTs might not have a lot/any maintenance records (as they may not have required any). Even with 46,000 miles on my GT, the maintenance book/log is sparse.

Reactions: roketman and 2112

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. No matter what you do you'll want to do the following things:

1. Change every fluid in it. If it runs, replace it.

2. Put new tires on it. Lots of topics here search for Bridgestone for sizes.

3. Probably change the oil pump belt. It's old and if it goes, well, you don't want it to.

4. Probably due for a new battery. Get the replacement Optima Red Top Group 25 from your favorite place. Ford thinks very highly of the label they stick on top.

Have a great time!!!

Reactions: dshears and 2112