Wheel paint code?

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Hello, does anyone know the paint/paint code used for the standard wheels?

If this is already posted somewhere I apologise. I did a search but could not find.

Rob

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Does nobody know what the paint code is for the BBS wheels? Suprised no one responded here...
I am curious as well. Have several wheels we have taken off cars that were scratched and would like to refinish them to have as spares....

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Great question...wish I had the answer.
I can provide this: I injured a front wheel last year and had a fellow come to my house and repair the scratches, then blended in fresh paint on the spot with a small airbrush. I challenge anyone to say which wheel was repaired, a perfect match.
He is located in southern California, perhaps he would be willing to share a trade secret. Onsite Wheel Reconditioning, onsitewheels@yahoo.com, Son Tran 714-742-6855.
Good luck.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Wouldn't the paint code be the same as the frame?

Frame:
Super Silver. I noted from an earlier post that it is from a private/generic label with a serial batch # of JX-12224.

I believe SteveA would know further details (though he will be hard to reach as he is in the process of moving to Idaho).

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
They are powder coated arn't they?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Hello, does anyone know the paint/paint code used for the standard wheels?

If this is already posted somewhere I apologise. I did a search but could not find.

Rob

The wheels are powder coated. You might get the info from BBS.

H

HHGT

Wally here on the forum - cobra1339- knows the code, try to pm him. He landed a promotion that have put him on an airplane almost weekly - not much fun, been there done that. I can call him on Saturday and find out for you.

Cheers!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Cool! We have a repair shop that fixes them 100% perfect, but would like to have a paint code for tiny blimishes.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Me too.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
While I'm not 100% positive, I think the wheels are painted. I'm going to look at the various literature I have on the FGT now to see if I can find a legit statement or fact.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I found two references to the wheels being painted:

1. "FORD GT America's Supercar Returns" the long, black, rectangular book that came with the car. Second to last page there is a spec sheet that pulls out. "BBS Painted Cast- Aluminum 6 spoke Wheels" I'm making the assumption the optional BBS wheels are painted also.

2. "FORD GT, Then and Now" Adrian Streather. Pg. 139 Spec chart shows "Optional BBS Painted Forged Lightweight Aluminum Wheels".

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I went to Sherwin Williams today to try to get the Super Silver for the engine bay per "BoB" in Michigan. The Acrylic paint they used is out of vogue so it looks like the only option is to go through the paint chips and match up a modern paint color for the engine bay and the wheels. They appear a little different. If anyone has the current formulas it would be real nice if you would share them. I bought a cool tech cooler and want to paint the brackets silver before installing it. Black is not cool.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Since this thread is about two years old, I'm curious if anyone has found the paint code for the optional BBS wheels. My fear of matching is over time and UV light exposure the match will fade or discolor.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I sucessfully got a formula converted to current pigments a year ago at Sherwin Williams. It matches the engine bay but does not look quite as silvery as the wheels. It also did not seem to have quite enough gloss agent as I had to over spray with some clear acrylic to get the final match. I am out of town but can send you the formula or post it here when I return Friday. It may be out of date again. The silver component seems to change periodically for some reason. I am not a paint expert...I just know how to paint. If some one knows where to obtain the real wheel formula or paint I need to paint a set of wheels too. I can take a wheel to Sherwin Williams and have them work on it. I have just not been in any hurry.

TM328

GT Owner
Oct 21, 2009
New England
I contacted bbs. They would not provide paint codes on oem wheels. I called ford and they did not have any paint codes on file.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The wheel paint codes (along with all the others) were in the computer at Saleen in Troy - don't know what happened to them. You might contact Bryan Chambers or Todd Helms at Alternative Auto.

GT350H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 3, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Last year at SEMA, I talked with a BBS wheel representative and asked him what the paint codes were for the GT wheels. I was told that a specific paint code does not exist as the factory actually applies two different paint colors to the wheels. The base color and the top coat interact together to create the final look.
I had a company called Wheelkraft here in Portland touch up one of my wheels and the guy already had experience with the GT's wheel color and the match was great.
Hope this helps with the wheel paint saga!