What's your favorite non-car related website?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
My wife is asking me to find something else to do on the 'net other than cars.

Suggestions? Must not be worse than PG-Rated.

Pipelion

For Saltwater fish aquariums www.reefcentral.com
This is the cats a$$ for saltwater info, from home made small tanks to 4000 gallons and beyond.

Garden model railroading in 1:32 scale and 1:29. www.mylargescale.com click on 'forums' Nice bunch of people not totally RR train savy but fun with a few very bright guys. Good garden info so the Mom and Dad can do something they both like. When Dad's not driving the Ford GT.

For Audio Visual (Great Home Theater site) especailly high tech projectors and super high tech eq. www.avsforum.com
look under "display devices" These guys know Home theater. They are a pecular bunch, very analitical, not to film savy (artistic).=, but very sharp on equipment. Plus this is the future of home entertainment. Every home will have it's own home theater( Why? because they are getting of very high quality and cheaper). Both sound and vision.

It's so funny your wife asking you this. I was thinking it would be a good exchange. :cheers

Allan

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I spend most of my time on ESPN.com.

AVSforum is quite good for some stuff, but they can be very condescending pricks to honest people. I've been in the AV business for quite a while, and I find the many tech geeks who treat average joes poorly insufferable. I find no pleasure in taking the entertainment out of home entertainment.

Pipelion

I've got about one third the price of a Ford GT in exotic RR stuff.

I did work for months outdoors on a double main line, running water with miniture fish (.5"s). I eventually came to the realization the elements made easy victum of me and my desire for "fine scale" accuacy.

I'm into very realistic modeling. Stuff so good it looks real even close up.

The trees had multiple droppings of buds, prebuds, leaves, seeds, branches, etc, on and on. I got fed up with fighting nature. Nature even grinds up full scale RRs.

So I reluctantly pulled the plug. Indoors is my next move.

The scale I work in requires max space. A guy I recently met bought a large grocery store. He models the next smallest scale (1:48). I just screw around with small test tracks and small modeling sub plots.

I invented a new way to model scenery. I was heavy into pre production on a DVD. The numbers just don't look like it will make enough money. Too much work for small returns.

Garden RRing though is very cool if you get equipment that's going to perform well outdoors. Great plants and gardens can look realistic or just plain beautiful while being fun to run the trains a little or a lot. Beware though if you at all are addictive , the model RRing is an endless heaven or nightmare of stuff one can buy. I have friends that really enjoy thier Garden RRs. And it's rare that a hobby can bring a married couple together. Garden RRs do. The wife can play an active roll and spend time with or go out by herself and work on the RR or garden or both.

The avs forum is a real find. I learned so much from those poeple. The av stuff changes so quickly and when you're ready to buy or upgrade those guys have all ready been to the shows and tested the latest products. That hobby is growing so fast and with Hi def home video. The internet video's future will dovetail not to mention broadcst and cable, watching life size Ford GTs race cruise and travel is in our very near future.

The internet will have live cams flowing, so when Jeff takes another 3900 mile cruise in his Ford GT we can all watch if Jeff feels like letting us see. Now imagine a few years after that and it's a whole wall in your home. Jeff for grins does a live cast at 8pm eastern every night in full HD, I mean we will be able to see the hairs on the chins of women and people taking those cell phone shots of him. We are in a new world.

Enjoy it's only going to get better, :cool

Allan

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
www.offshoreonly.com best site on the net :thumbsup

Cirrus Pilot

Mar 29, 2006
Vince,

Have you ever considered aviation?

http://www.cirrusdesign.com/
http://www.cirruspilots.org/

Most new airplanes cost more than the GT. However, you accountant might be able to be a bit more creative with the financial numbers.

Bob