What would you buy?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Now that the NFGT is pretty much a 7 figure car on the used market, I've been wondering if you sold your GT for a million-ish dollars or had that much sitting in a bank account, what would you purchase?

I've always thought the Porsche 918 or Carrera GTs were cool cars. The DeTomaso P72 is beautiful, but seems like it may be vaporware. Buy a couple cars like a GT2 RS and an AMG GT Black Series. A Holman-Moody built GT40 Mark II. New Ford GT Mk II track car. Ferrari SF90 Stradale. Aston Martin Valhalla.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I'd get 2 05/06 GT's, one to drive/track/mod and one to keep nice/stock. I'd waster the left over funds.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Been there, done that. I bought a new GT500 plus a 1966 E type coupe, plus a 2003 911 turbo. The rest is going on a major home remodel to keep mywife happy! I realized that I’m just not cut out for driving million dollar cars, can have more fun with cheaper stuff.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Been there, done that. I bought a new GT500 plus a 1966 E type coupe, plus a 2003 911 turbo. The rest is going on a major home remodel to keep mywife happy! I realized that I’m just not cut out for driving million dollar cars, can have more fun with cheaper stuff.

Is your 500 the CFTP version?

How do you like it?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I like to drive my cars, not keep them in a Garage-Mahal (FYI, the Taj Mahal was/is a mausoleum). Since I already have an 05 FGT (70Kmi), and a 1973 911 for when I want old school (120Kmi with new 3.2 engine in it), I don’t think I’d buy more cars. But a single-engine, possibly turbine, airplane is on my shopping list, after I get current in C172’s. Something like a Lancair 4P, or turbine version of the same.

As for the rest of the loose change, I’d head up to Alaska and get checked out in floatplanes, then rent one and fly around the state for a few weeks. A floatplane or bush plane are the only ways to get to a lot of Alaska.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

After looking at many of the new supercars being released that cost 2.5, 3, or 3.5 million dollars the new GT's we bought new for 500-750K were a deal. I've driven a Carrera GT, Singer 911, GT2RS, Mclaren 720S, and several others and there isn't anything I've experienced for 1M or less that I'd rather have or drive. I do own an old school 1992 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 that's a ton of fun and draws a lot less attention. My 3 pedal no nanny 2006 GT is a gas in a whole different way. I have an emotional connection to the Ford GT I don't have with other cars so right now there isn't anything else I want to buy.

Chip

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Is your 500 the CFTP version?

How do you like it?
Yup it’s CFTP. It’s stock apart from aroll bar and harnesses. It is an absolute blast to drive and in fact has become my daily. We jusr drove it from Houston to Boulder for the Shelby bash, comfy, and am getting 18mpg (but don’t put it into manual mode or that figure will be a single digit) I swear the Tremec transmission is significantly better than the Getrag in the GT. On track it does feel big and heavy so you sense the suspension working hard all the time, but it sure as hell handles well. I love it!

Reactions: BtwoG and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Tex, did you already share pics?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
While the Porsche CGT is my grail car (such that I pay no attention to anything priced higher) I know that is never happening. I hope to buy one more car to go into retirement with in 4-5 years, but unless I sell one or both cars will be limited to about $300k. Want to try something newer, so get something like an F8, Huracan EVO, or 812 GTS (with multiple careful owners....LOL).

The only older cars on my wish list are a Ferrari Boxer BB, and a 993 Turbo.

Reactions: BtwoG

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
2,700-mi '04 Carrera GT on BaT ends in 8 days (9/14) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-carrera-gt-3/

1628563897c661398c36e3ad198A3987-LowRes-scaled.jpg

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Sorry, I know the difference, but it looks like every other Porsche.
For the money, I will keep my Pantera (total reconstruction) and many other vehicles.
Interesting discussion!
Best,
Mark

Reactions: RPM217 and 2112

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Tex, did you already share pics?
A12FBB94-4507-42EA-AE29-19014D1AB85E.jpeg6FD67B4D-BABE-458D-84DE-DA54C5F489C9.jpegA12FBB94-4507-42EA-AE29-19014D1AB85E.jpeg6FD67B4D-BABE-458D-84DE-DA54C5F489C9.jpeg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^Love it

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Sorry, I know the difference, but it looks like every other Porsche.
For the money, I will keep my Pantera (total reconstruction) and many other vehicles.
Interesting discussion!
Best,
Mark

I love the Pantera. There was a great restomod (arent most of them restomods) that just sold on BaT

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

Tomcat

GT Owner
I love the Pantera. There was a great restomod (arent most of them restomods) that just sold on BaT
I sold my Pantera this summer after 35 years of ownership. They are great simple cars.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I sold my Pantera this summer after 35 years of ownership. They are great simple cars.
Not happy about that!!!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I had a Carrera GT for a while. While truly great cars, the new FGT exceeds it in a million ways IMHO. (Of course, it is also 13 yr newer technology)

The only relatively current car that interests me as a distant second choice is a Mclaren Senna - while far less attractive than the NGT to my eyes, and without the GT's Le Mans winning pedigree, its performance figures are pretty staggering, with a single minded design focus to go very fast. The Senna's looks are very color dependent to my eye - it looks best in dark solid colors to me, while the new GT looks amazing in just about every color combo I have seen. They both seem to be about $900-$1.1m

Last edited:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Mitchell,
How would you rank the SLS AMG Black Series? I saw a supercharged SLS recently and thought I bet that's a fun car.

I had a Carrera GT for a while. While truly great cars, the new FGT exceeds it in a million ways IMHO. (Of course, it is also 13 yr newer technology)

The only relatively current car that interests me as a distant second choice is a Mclaren Senna - while far less attractive than the NGT to my eyes, and without the GT's Le Mans winning pedigree, its performance figures are pretty staggering, with a single minded design focus to go very fast. The Senna's looks are very color dependent to my eye - it looks best in dark solid colors to me, while the new GT looks amazing in just about every color combo I have seen. They both seem to be about $900-$1.1m

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I love the SLS Black series, for a host of reasons: styling (hard to beat Gullwing doors), Mercedes heritage, rarity (300ish world wide, 130ish in US), normally aspirated 650 HP, etc.. At the moment, I have 2 of them. The only other time have had 2 of same car, is 2005-6 FGT.

It is however very different than a NGT or Senna. To me the SLS Black is more a superb grand tourer than race car.

The NGT and Senna to me are just all out track focused, uncompromising race cars, both of which are hard to believe are street legal. When you have to question a manufacturer's sanity for building a car such as the new GT (or Senna for that matter in my opinion), it says something.
If Senna wasn't $1m, and Mclarens didnt typically bomb in value, I would own one too.