what to protect before airbag replacement

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I seem to remember someone posted a picture of how they protected their dash and steering wheel before airbag replacement. I have searched and cannot find the post. If anyone can post pictures I would appreciate as the techs are coming next Tuesday to replace both and I want to make sure I have no scratches after they have competed the operation.

Much appreciated

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The steering wheel center is removed, but I don't think anyone's said anything about issues there.

The lower portion of the dash area is removed (the part that spans driver to passenger with the thin strip above the radio). Again, I don't think I've heard of anyone having issues with it getting scuffed but covering that with blue tape wouldn't hurt. This part is best removed with two people so if they send only one you should offer to help support the piece as it is removed.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Tony is correct...... you should have two people to remove the lower portion as it is very narrow and subsequently quite weak in the steering column area. No rocket science involved..... just need a second hand to help support it while lifting it out of harms way. I didn’t tape anything off for protection as I was present to help with the replacements.
BTW.....nice chinook weather eh!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
My dealer did two cars for me. They protected the leather and were super careful. They let me watch the entire process while I waited for the work to be completed. Joe at Pat Milliken did both. NO issues.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks to all. I intend to stand beside them as they are doing the work. and yes the weather is great, yesterday was warmer in Calgary than in Florida, and no falling Iguanas.