What the Most Ridiculous Thing You've Ever Overheard About a GT?

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Went to a local show and shine today. Just to stop in and look over the other muscle cars. Got talked into registering and won best in class and best in show with the GT! Dumb luck.
Anyway, as I sat there and listened to folks talk about the GT, I heard the typical and then the stupid.....
- This has to be a kit car. They only built about a dozen of the real GT-40's. This is a cheap knockoff.
- These things have, like 1000 hp.
- This car costs $400k. (I told that guy I'd sell it to him for $300k on a deep discount, but only if he bought today!)
- This guy must be drug dealer. Nobody can afford one of these, even if they can find one.
- These things are all show and no go. Real low hp...like 250.
- I wonder how they get the engine in under that hood. It's so low and small. (I'm thinking...Gee, I wonder what this dope thinks all that mechanical stuff is under the glass hatch!)
- These are all plastic bodied.
- You can only get this car as an automatic.

It was quit funny to listen to how even some hard-core car guys really don't know what the GT is all about.
Good fun! :willy

Dear Lord!:eek I've heard alot of jokes, both on boards and in person, about a lot of different cars, but that has to be the worst I've ever heard!

06VistaBlueGT

Aug 30, 2006
ACRJOE, great topic, with alot of laughs. While I don't own a GT, I have been around them plenty, and know alot about them. My episode is back when they 1st came out. I went to a Ferrari Concourso in Reading PA, in May of '05. Nice machinery there, but was wondering if someone would bring one. When I parked my car, I took a walk and what did I see sitting by its lonesome self, a Red/White GT!! I casually walked up to it, to check it out, and to see what the deal was.

Turns out, the guy who brought it, was trying to sell it for a friend. He didn't drive it, but trailered it up. The funny thing, this clown knew NOTHING about the car. Didn't know the hp, the torque, how the hatch up front worked, nothing. I think he was able to start it, since the button says "Engine Start". Now, being a Ford salesman, I quickly started answering questions that I knew the answers to. At one point, he closed the front hatch, but didn't slam it shut. Hence, the cover wasn't tight, but only latched. He tried in vein to push the blue button on the remote, but it wasn't working for him. Here's a quick synopsis of what happened, as I offered him more help:

"What's wrong? Can't open the front hatch back up?"
"No, it seems to not work" (this was with 10 people around now)
"May I have the keys?"
"Why?"
"I can get that fixed REAL quick for you?"
"Well....okay, I guess."
Took the key, opened the manual hatch release, lifted the hatch, and then shut it with a little effort. Volla!!

The dude was taken aback, and asked how I knew so much about this car, considering it wasn't out for very long. Told him I was a Ford salesperson, and I LOVE this car!! I also had to explain a few things in regards to the recall on the control arms to his guy (among many other technical things). The funny thing, the people around were Ferrari owners, who had their cars at the show. Some were saying I should stay for the day, and answer all technical questions, and even get paid. I had to laugh at that. Considering that this car only had 10 miles on it, and this guy didn't REALLY drive it, and I have driven one, I should have made a deal with the guy, lol.

Moral of the story, if you want to sell a item, (especially a high priced item like a GT), it is always good to know the product you are trying to sell. Oh, and he wanted $235K for the car at the time. :thumbsup

BTW, Joe, where are you located? I live in Chalfont PA, and haven't seen your car drive around Doylestown yet. If there are any car cruise-ins in New Hope, let me know. I'd love to bring down my new Mustang GT. Its all customized with painted stripes and everything. Love to get a pic of your car with my car.:thumbsup

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
ACRJOE, great topic, with alot of laughs. While I don't own a GT, I have been around them plenty, and know alot about them. My episode is back when they 1st came out. I went to a Ferrari Concourso in Reading PA, in May of '05. Nice machinery there, but was wondering if someone would bring one. When I parked my car, I took a walk and what did I see sitting by its lonesome self, a Red/White GT!! I casually walked up to it, to check it out, and to see what the deal was.

Turns out, the guy who brought it, was trying to sell it for a friend. He didn't drive it, but trailered it up. The funny thing, this clown knew NOTHING about the car. Didn't know the hp, the torque, how the hatch up front worked, nothing. I think he was able to start it, since the button says "Engine Start". Now, being a Ford salesman, I quickly started answering questions that I knew the answers to. At one point, he closed the front hatch, but didn't slam it shut. Hence, the cover wasn't tight, but only latched. He tried in vein to push the blue button on the remote, but it wasn't working for him. Here's a quick synopsis of what happened, as I offered him more help:

"What's wrong? Can't open the front hatch back up?"
"No, it seems to not work" (this was with 10 people around now)
"May I have the keys?"
"Why?"
"I can get that fixed REAL quick for you?"
"Well....okay, I guess."
Took the key, opened the manual hatch release, lifted the hatch, and then shut it with a little effort. Volla!!

The dude was taken aback, and asked how I knew so much about this car, considering it wasn't out for very long. Told him I was a Ford salesperson, and I LOVE this car!! I also had to explain a few things in regards to the recall on the control arms to his guy (among many other technical things). The funny thing, the people around were Ferrari owners, who had their cars at the show. Some were saying I should stay for the day, and answer all technical questions, and even get paid. I had to laugh at that. Considering that this car only had 10 miles on it, and this guy didn't REALLY drive it, and I have driven one, I should have made a deal with the guy, lol.

Moral of the story, if you want to sell a item, (especially a high priced item like a GT), it is always good to know the product you are trying to sell. Oh, and he wanted $235K for the car at the time. :thumbsup

BTW, Joe, where are you located? I live in Chalfont PA, and haven't seen your car drive around Doylestown yet. If there are any car cruise-ins in New Hope, let me know. I'd love to bring down my new Mustang GT. Its all customized with painted stripes and everything. Love to get a pic of your car with my car.:thumbsup

Great story but even better to hear your knowledge and enthusiam towards the car. Their have been way too many threads on this site regarding Ford sales persons lack of knowledge. You represent the product well my friend and your livelyhood even better...Dan:cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'may as well reopen this!

'Wife and I took the GT when we went to breakfast yesterday morning. Shortly after we were seated, two gentlemen were seated at the table behind us. As soon as they sat down, one of them looked out the window and said to the other, "OMG! Jerry! Look at that! Oh, I guess you can't see it from there. Come over here & take a look! There's a beautiful blue Ford PANTERA parked over there! That thing looks brand new! Take a look! I haven't seen one of those in years! Now, THAT'S one sharp lookin' car!"

Yup. I guess it musta been a while for him alright ... :biggrin
(At least his last stmt was correct!:lol )

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
And this little beauty from just last week ..... "I know it says Ford GT, but what kind of a car is it?" My response "Ehh ............................"

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
That's funny Joe.

I sent a dentist friend a close up picture of my car with FORD GT emblazoned on the side, and me and my son inside.

And, inevitably, the response "What kind of car is that?"

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Two guys at a gas station yesterday. Nice Ferrari !, Told them it was a Ford. They say no way. They did not get the logo either. They never heard of it or a GT40. Had to pop the clam to show the ford logo on the motor. I guess I could have just showed them the emblem up front, but popping the clam is way more fun for ajaw dropping experience. :biggrin

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
That's funny Joe.

I sent a dentist friend a close up picture of my car with FORD GT emblazoned on the side, and me and my son inside.

And, inevitably, the response "What kind of car is that?"

I had some guy tell me that he's going to tell FORD that I used their name.:shrug

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I live in Newtown (silver/black stripes) as does Bill K (red/white stripes); George M (yellow/black stripes) lives in Doylestown, Chuck (white/blue stripes) lives in Furlong and Lee G. lives in Yardley (tungsten/silver stripes). Lee may be showing at the New Hope Car show in August (advice; if your drop your keys in that town, kick 'em all the way home). There's a show in Newtown next Sunday but it's for 1972 and older cars. So at some level I'll be going to the New Hope show. Perhaps we could meet up then.

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
not a ford gt, but I can't count how many time's I've been asked if my car is the shelby while people are staring at the car (says GT500 on the side, Shelby on the back)...or if it has a 351 windsor (as far as I know this motor was never in a mustang) or a five point oh. When I tell people I have 675 hp they never believe me.

I get a ton of attention, I could only imagine what you guys get.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I get a ton of attention, I could only imagine what you guys get.

...'Name "Custer" mean anything to you? :cheers

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
For us Brits the worst is .. "Oh, is that the car Clarkson had..." and then " .. is yours as much trouble as his was for him ?" and "I hear you only get 4mpg.."

Man that guy has alot to answer for.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
when gassing my cars up at the gas station people will say that my viper has a V-12 in it and my GT has a V-10 in it :lol

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
when gassing my cars up at the gas station people will say that my viper has a V-12 in it and my GT has a V-10 in it :lol

they do, don't they?

:rofl

Musclecar67

Oct 29, 2006
That would drive me nutz! I enjoy Clarkson, but he can be completely out line sometimes , lol maybe thats why I like him. I ask myself why he blames the car first and not the system. They have to change quite a few things over there to make them street legal. The headlights have to be changed out ect... Imagen what an inexperienced euro tech could do to the car. Cant touch the cars without touching the cpu. I would take his turn in GT any day!

I don't own the GT however I have been to a few local car shows including the NY auto show. Im a car nut, gear head, grease monkey, whatever you call it. It amazes me how many people out there don't know about the Gt. I was at a local show and the owner wasn't present. It was the first time I had seen one in person besides the NY show. I waited about 30 min for the owner to show. Meanwhile about a dozen people were asking questions. I was quiet untill a few punky kids (20's) came over to bash the car. They acted like they knew everything about it, and the uneducated people around just took it as the truth. Some comments about the car were " Its got a truck engine in it", " The interior looks old", " It has a 4.6l engine", " That POS was recalled like a million times", "My WRX could wax that" " Its not American Ford outsourced the car" etc...
I waited till they were about ready to go and then I opened up like an M-60 lol. I wont post what I said but it def wasn't PG. I gave the complete history of the car from its birth to its victory at leman. Then I proceeded to the present Ford Gt and its development. Then came the tech specs, the technology used to manufacture the car and the TLC put into each car. I don't know why I get so worked up, but I love this car! I will own one; thats a promise I made myself, and I wont stand for people who talk with an uneducated background aiming to bash anything they see above there heads. I guess it makes them sleep better at night? Before they left I asked them how many times there car won at leman? LOL they looked like they had no clue what leman's is. ~ Rob

Last edited: