What is the Best Viper Year/Model to Collect and Hold Long-Term

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I'm working on purchasing a small number of high-quality, important American sports cars to hold for a long time. In addition to my GT I recently purchased a 1967 Corvette L71 427/435. This car was purchased with a lot of help from SBR from the Forum. It is a highly original car and I'm really thrilled to have it and I can't thank SBR enough for the help.

In this theme I'm now considering the purchase of a Viper. I don't know a lot about Vipers but I know there are a lot of Viper experts on this Forum and I'm hoping a few will weigh in on what year/model would be the best to purchase and hold for a long period of time. I drive my cars so this is a hobby, not an investment, but I would like to purchase something that would be desirable in thirty years. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Vipers do not tend to keep even close to MSRP. Like all of Dodges products you will have to wait until your dead before it is worth anything.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
That's a little harsh - but no question the Vipers price record is poor...

My personal list if you're into collecting and not quite so worried about near term (5-10yr) investment:

1992 Roadster - first year

1996 Blue / white stripe - first year coupe

1998 Silver / blue stripe (very limited production)

1998 GTSR again limited production, 100 I believe.

Any ACR

Viper also went a little crazy with limited edition cars, like the last Gen II 200 red ones called "Final Editions" and then there were the "Mamba" versions... You'll also note my list ends with the Gen II cars. Never a fan of the later Gen's though continual performance upgrades were there (and some new quality control issues).

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Over the years I have had 11 from 92 to 2010 (Gen 5 did not nothing for me. My list is like others:

1992--Build is like 53 Vette which are now worth a lot--it will take time

1996--blue/white

1998 GTS-R

I used to joke that there were so many special and final editions that plain red cars would be worth more . I had at least 3 FEs. Whenever sales were slow, you could count on a special edition.

The only one I have left is my 92 VIN 00002 car I bought from Bob Lutz President of Chrysler and father of Viper. Could not tell you what is worth. No idea. Good luck.

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
For sure the first year, 1992. Maybe any Gen4 or Gen5 ACR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
I just sold my '93, because it will likely be a few years before it catches up to the ones listed by others (above).

But the one I always wanted was the 1997 Blue/White RT10... I think they made 50 or so of this one.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
The only one I have left is my 92 VIN 00002 car I bought from Bob Lutz President of Chrysler and father of Viper. Could not tell you what is worth. No idea. Good luck.

Now that is cool! You can't put a price on that history.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I'm holding out that the 2006 White VOI9 Viper delivered to the track with the wing and splitter and special goodie bags in the trunk will be worth something more than the standard Viper someday... I bought it the same time as my 2005 Ford GT... the GT has over 15,000 miles the Viper sits in the garage with about 1,000 miles on it. The Viper is nowhere near the ride of the GT... that's why I have the miles on the GT.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Rob, You have a PM.
David

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Over the years I have had 11 from 92 to 2010 (Gen 5 did not nothing for me. My list is like others:

1992--Build is like 53 Vette which are now worth a lot--it will take time

1996--blue/white

1998 GTS-R

I used to joke that there were so many special and final editions that plain red cars would be worth more . I had at least 3 FEs. Whenever sales were slow, you could count on a special edition.

Agree with the above. I miss my 96 B/W GTS. Loved that Viper.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I would put my money on the 2016 ACR.
One of the best (production) track car of all times.

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
To the original poster, I think that the rarity of a viper will be the only chance of it holding long term value. The early cars and of course the 97/98 GTS models will always be coveted. I had a 94 that wasnt much fun to drive. 6 years ago I aquired a 2008 orange/black stripe roadster, with orange interior. That is a car that I love and will probably never sell, especially since its the only car Dodge ever made in that combo.. Pick one out that you like and go for it. Eric

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Don't overlook the gen II Roadsters...

There's something about the flat soft top and squared off tail/diffuser and deep inset side-vents
make it look very flat and sleek. Esp in silver or black

Maybe I can trade my '12 C6 towards one !

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
ACR is bat poo crazy. Love it. I'd drive the value out of it, like my GT.

But I agree:
[video]http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos/ford-gt-or-viper-acr/[/video]

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Like said before...
96-97 Blue/White
98 GTSR (in my opinion this is THE one to own)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I forgot to add, maybe, 2003 Competition Coupe.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I see BJ motors has a 98 GTSR for sale on ebay now

John