Washing (aka (F)DQ)

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
(F)DQ = (First) Dumb Question:
So the new car arrived in an early CA downburst yesterday - so it's time to wash it. Being the anal retentive type (and who on this forum isn't?), I want to make sure I do a fine job and make no mistakes.
The only concern that I know of is the potential need to cover some of the engine room vents before hosing it down.
That true? Any pointers to a 'here's how to do it' site?
I did apply a liberal use of 'search' here, but no answers.
Thanks

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Check some of the posts from Jason...
No concerns about getting the engine area wet. Keeping the glass clean is a pia.
Wash the car exactly as you would any special interest car.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Whew

Check some of the posts from Jason...
No concerns about getting the engine area wet. Keeping the glass clean is a pia.
Wash the car exactly as you would any special interest car.

So no tape/plastic/hermetic sealing of those vents? Whew. Thanks.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
So no tape/plastic/hermetic sealing of those vents? Whew. Thanks.

Nope.... After drying the car - you'll have to pop the clamshell to get all the water off the back vents anyway. That is the perfect time to "towel dry" the engine. Just dont take the hose and flood the vents :lol

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Check out:

http://www.jasonsautospa.com/wash/

I'm heading out the door in a few minutes for the Arizona detailing trip, but my cell is 847-343-4180 I'll keep it on until I board the plane if you have any questions about washing her down.

Jason

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Use a leaf blower to remove most of the water, especially from the rear vents. In dryer climates, have a person with a soft towel dry the car right after blowing it off.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Don't use a power wash/jet wash thing - I tend to let water trickle near the more sensitive/open parts of the car.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd mention the fact mine's never BEEN washed ...but, I can imagine what would happen if I did ... so, I'll just keep that lil' detail to myself... :cheers

(Actually, that is a BIT of a lie ...the brake dust has been washed off the wheels...)

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'd mention the fact mine's never BEEN washed ...but, I can imagine what would happen if I did ... so, I'll just keep that lil' detail to myself... :cheers

(Actually, that is a BIT of a lie ...the brake dust has been washed off the wheels...)

Pockets, I too have never washed mine. :thumbsup:Also, I have had a 61 Ford street rod for over 14 years and never has water touched her.:shrug

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Washing

Pockets, I too have never washed mine. :thumbsup:Also, I have had a 61 Ford street rod for over 14 years and never has water touched her.:shrug

Well, I considered sending it out to the dry cleaner, but didn't want it starched.
The washing tips worked just fine. Thanks everyone.
It's all nice and tidy now.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I lay some of those Absorber syth. chamois over the vents. I cut one in half for the window side vents. When they get wet they are heavy and stick to the surface so they don't move around when you're rinsing around the area. Small amounts of water won't hurt the engine but if you like to keep it clean and tidy keep it out..

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I'd mention the fact mine's never BEEN washed ...)

Washed, driven, probably never even sat in either....:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, I considered sending it out to the dry cleaner, but didn't want it starched.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Washed, driven, probably never even sat in either....:lol

See? 'Zactly what I expected! :slap

(You 'n' t32b "PM"ing back & forth in a planned joint attack here, er whut?:rofl)

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
PM'ing?

See? 'Zactly what I expected! :slap

(You 'n' t32b "PM"ing back & forth in a planned joint attack here, er whut?:rofl)

No need to. It's a 'target rich' environment. :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No need to. It's a 'target rich' environment. :)

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:thumbsup:thumbsup

'Can't deny THAT!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Man, vent covers, leaf blowers, dry cleaning......Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how Pockets got brake dust, rolling the car in and out of the garage:shrug

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Man, vent covers, leaf blowers, dry cleaning......Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how Pockets got brake dust, rolling the car in and out of the garage:shrug

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, shuddup, Rex!

(How I dunnit is a trade secret ...'n' if'n ya thin' I'm gunna let YOU in on it...)

:biggrin:lol:rofl:cheers

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Aerosols

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, shuddup, Rex!

(How I dunnit is a trade secret ...'n' if'n ya thin' I'm gunna let YOU in on it...)

:biggrin:lol:rofl:cheers

It's Spray-On Dust - the supercar equivalent of Spray-On Mud for SUV's. And sadly, the latter is purported to exist. And a much bigger market.
The low volume 'Dust must be very pricey...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The low volume 'Dust must be very pricey...

You are absolutely correct, sir, as the instructions for it's application require ONE specific surface ONLY on which to apply it ... and the 'sticker price' of that surface is/was $166,945.00! :cheers