Warranty Voiding

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Are there any Ford approved mods be made that won't void the engine warranty? (Chip-tune, pulley, or exhaust?)

I hesitate to proceed with any changes to the $36,000 motor for this reason.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Nothing will void your warranty unless....

..... the modification you made was the cause of a failure. If you installed twin Turbo's and jacked your engine up to 1500 hp and then your brake master cylinder failed, it would be covered because your engine modifications had nothing to do with the failure. If the crankshaft failed however they probably wouldn't cover that. If you add an Accufab exhaust, tune, and pulley, and your half shaft bolts fail, or an oil pump fails, or your power window goes out, Ford will cover it. If you fry your car's computer in the process of re-flashing it, you're on your own. No manufacturer will look for an excuse to void your warranty for modifications that did not cause a failure. On the contrary, it has been my experience as a new car dealer that many repairs were covered under warranty that clearly should not have been.

Chip

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Thanks.

PNicholson

..... the modification you made was the cause of a failure. If you installed twin Turbo's and jacked your engine up to 1500 hp and then your brake master cylinder failed, it would be covered because your engine modifications had nothing to do with the failure. If the crankshaft failed however they probably wouldn't cover that. If you add an Accufab exhaust, tune, and pulley, and your half shaft bolts fail, or an oil pump fails, or your power window goes out, Ford will cover it. If you fry your car's computer in the process of re-flashing it, you're on your own. No manufacturer will look for an excuse to void your warranty for modifications that did not cause a failure. On the contrary, it has been my experience as a new car dealer that many repairs were covered under warranty that clearly should not have been.

Chip

The only thing I would caution regarding all of this is that Ford may look at causal components. I just came from a Ford dealership – and as an example, Ford is getting tough on Super Duty customers who have lifted their vehicles over 6” or with tires over 35” in diameter. The thought is that the added weight/rolling mass of the suspension puts undue stress on engine components. Warranty coverage of things like head gasket failures, EGR Cooler failures, etc MAY be declined if the vehicle is lifted over 6” or has tires over 35” in diameter. This isn’t necessarily the Ford dealership denying warranty clams – its Ford.

Just something to think about.

Page

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The only thing I would caution regarding all of this is that Ford may look at causal components. I just came from a Ford dealership – and as an example, Ford is getting tough on Super Duty customers who have lifted their vehicles over 6” or with tires over 35” in diameter. The thought is that the added weight/rolling mass of the suspension puts undue stress on engine components. Warranty coverage of things like head gasket failures, EGR Cooler failures, etc MAY be declined if the vehicle is lifted over 6” or has tires over 35” in diameter. This isn’t necessarily the Ford dealership denying warranty clams – its Ford.

Page

Hello Page, I hope your getting settled in over at Stillen. I'm taking my car in next week to get the vents replaced and forgot who you said was taking over for you. Thanks

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ

Page
"So it isn't the 15,000 lb trailer I'm towing, it's my tire size putting stress on the engine components?"

I owned a 6.0L Turbo Diesel until I sold it awhile back..Had problems left and right, but that is a new one to me. Early on with the head gasket problems my truck was spraying coolant all over the engine compartment when I would tow maybe 6k lbs. I took it into the dealer and showed them the problem, they had the truck for a few days and told me not to put any coolant in...Just let it spray what its going to spray, don't add more, thank you and goodbye :eek Nothin' like trailering up for an hour trip and smelling coolant within the first minute.

After the trade I saw it broken down on the side of I-94...