Virginia may be for lovers, but it is not for drivers.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Five days in jail for speeding. It's called reckless driving in VA if going you're over 80.

Virginia thinks they are being lenient by letting him serve his sentence over a few weekends.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b9c-443e-92da-9257579b60e3_story.html?hpid=z4

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Don't they confiscate Radar detectors on the spot too?

The best speed is the speed at which the majority of cars are traveling. It is the differential in speed, mostly caused by people at or under the limit that create the greatest potential for harm.

Beautiful place, but this and their property taxes are enough not to want to live there.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Radar detectors are illegal, so yes, confiscation and citation.

Obviously, there was no traffic when Mr. Werth opened up his GT2. Open on-ramp, open lanes ahead. Wow...this hardly ever happens!

No harm...yet 5 days in jail. JAIL!

That, under other circumstances, could be almost all of us?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Work on your reading comprehension. It was a GT3RS. Love his lawyer's statement-"This was an aberration." Okay. He drives a GT3RS. I guess the aberration was the getting caught part.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
So, his lawyer is a dick. No surprise there. He pleaded guilty.

But, five days in jail for some irrational exuberance on the Sunshine Skyway? Night. No cars in sight. Less than a minute to 140 and back.

That's a jail worthy offense?

Virginia sucks. Over 80 does not equal reckless and does not equal jail for no harm done. Fine him. Suspend his license. But jail?

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Over 80 in some parts of Canada will get your car confiscated, and sold at auction. Similar to hauling drugs in the U.S.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Well, Canada makes Virginia look liberal, eh?

And Australia is worse. Hard to believe.

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Appearance????

Trooper not a Nationals fan?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Radar detectors are illegal in some states, many disallow them for commercial vehicles (assuming semi-trucks), but the AAA site has this for Oklahoma:

Radar detectors are prohibited for use by commercial vehicles. It is not illegal per Oklahoma code to use a radar detector but there is a DOT regulation which can be used to cite use of a detector as a traffic violation.

So what DOT regulation would that be or is the state of OK grabbing up their you know what?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Tax dollars at work :facepalm:

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have had an over 80 in Virginia (maybe 5 years ago)...it was not pleasant BUT, WOW!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Of course, it hits Jalopnik...

http://jalopnik.com/nats-jayson-werth-will-do-five-days-in-jail-for-speedin-1682634390

...but the really interesting story is Patrick George's conviction for the same offense and his tale of three days in jail.

"I should probably explain why going into Virginia to have fun in a car is a bad idea in the first place. See, they're crazy about speeding there. Really, really crazy. Speed limits are set absurdly low, 45 mph on some highways. Radar detectors are illegal, and cops have devices to detect them. And if you get caught going over 80 mph at all, that's automatically a reckless driving charge.

Reckless driving is not a traffic citation, it's a criminal charge, and a Class One misdemeanor at that. That means it's the highest level of misdemeanor you can be charged with in Virginia, right below a felony. The maximum penalty for a reckless driving conviction is a $2,500 fine, a six month driver's license suspension, and up to a year in jail.

See what I mean when I told you it's serious? They hand it out like it's Halloween candy, too. You drive 20 mph over the limit, it's reckless driving. They even charge you with it for failing to properly signal, or when you're found to be at fault in a car wreck. I've heard of some cases where people get 30 days in jail if they speed over 100 mph.

Other Class One misdemeanors in Virginia include animal cruelty, sexual battery, and aiming a firearm at someone. This is how the state regards people who drive over 80 mph."

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Gotta love TEXAS!!! With speed limits on some Texas freeways being 80 mph you can take defensive driving on line for a ticlet up to 100 mph and have it dis-missed. Ask me how I know....

Thugboat

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The beginning of a police state. Hopefully it doesn't spread, like a cancer, to the rest of the country.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
And then what they levy as taxes. Doesn't VA tax based on current value rather than the traditional depreciated scale?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Virginia sucks and lawyers are dicks. As a Va lawyer, I am doomed.

Never any shades of grey in your posts....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Virginia sucks and lawyers are dicks. As a Va lawyer, I am doomed.

Never any shades of grey in your posts....

Well, shades of gray in forum posts lead to miscommunication. I have more shades of gray in real life when there is opportunity for a dialog. :wink

Sinovac is the perpetrator/instigator of the "dicks" comment. :lol

Here's a shade of gray that demonstrates how bad the law is. People go to jail for no harm/no foul speeding, and get a Class 1 misdemeanor on their records. Meanwhile, on the Capitol Beltway, speed limit 55, four or more lanes in each direction with heavy traffic, the semis all going 75 and tailgating, and hardly a week goes by without one getting into a major wreck. This is tolerated behavior, occasionally resulting in a citation.

And for Tony, yes there is the property tax extortion in some VA counties. 3.6% of assessed value per year. I think most would agree that sucks. In 2013, that amounted to $6,600 for the GT. I'm sure it's more now. VA is very good about tracking values.

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That's why we all stayed in NC when there for the Rally. Better roads too.

VIR is nice but I have no need to go back.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Also, no front plate in NC

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The beginning of a police state. Hopefully it doesn't spread, like a cancer, to the rest of the country.

Big +1. :frown