Very happy with Bridgestone tires

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I know this has been talked about but just wanted to say WOW what an improvement! Put 234/45-18 Potenza on the front and 345/35-19 Potenza on the back. Better ride, grip and noise. Used stock BBS rims.
Derry

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
sorry typo, 235 on the front.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any particular reason to not use 265s up front?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is there much of a speedometer offset?

H

HHGT

I know this has been talked about but just wanted to say WOW what an improvement! Put 234/45-18 Potenza on the front and 345/35-19 Potenza on the back. Better ride, grip and noise. Used stock BBS rims.
Derry

Been using them for a while and could not agree more. :thumbsup:thumbsup Also the road noise is gone away

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Have not measured any speedo difference yet but the dia. change is about a quarter of an inch in the rear only. Given normal wear allowed I cannot believe it will be much. I will check though.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Is there much of a speedometer offset?

not really. The rev's per mile are within 10 per Bridgestone tech page.

If you want it to be perfect, there's adjustments that can be made with SCT tunner or by Ford tech to stock ecu.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I did not use the 265 only because they are .5 inches smaller in diameter and I wanted to stay as close to stock heights as I could especially in the front, Buffalo Ny has some nasty road holes in spots.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Probably a more experienced GT person could explain better... but, when I installed the FRPP pulley/tune on my '05 the pro-cal tool said my "revolutions per mile" was set at 712. I checked the # just to be sure. The Goodyear rears (315/40-19) rev/mi is 697 and the Bridgestone rears (345/35-19) rev/mi is 707. IF it is common for the stock setting to be at 712, you are in fact closer to actual with the Bridgestones without changing a thing.

Calculator: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/TireCalculator.html

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My vBox agrees with this statement. The bridgestones are extremely close to actual speed. Within +/- 2mph at 100mph

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Derry, I am just happy to see you post old boy. Glad your still driving the GT.
Did you have any problems getting the lug nuts off?:rofl

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Thanks Buddy! And yes the nuts are working well!:biggrin

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
The Goodyear rears (315/40-19) rev/mi is 697 and the Bridgestone rears (345/35-19) rev/mi is 707. IF it is common for the stock setting to be at 712, you are in fact closer to actual with the Bridgestones without changing a thing.

Calculator: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/TireCalculator.html

Exact tire sizes vary by manufacturer and model. That online calculator is a good approximation, but the actual sizes are different.

According to the specs at TireRack:

Goodyear 315-40-19: 722 r/mile
Bridgestone 345-35-19: 728 r/mile

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Exact tire sizes vary by manufacturer and model. That online calculator is a good approximation, but the actual sizes are different.
According to the specs at TireRack:
Goodyear 315-40-19: 722 r/mile
Bridgestone 345-35-19: 728 r/mile

That is a good point, the calculator uses the theoretical rev/mi from the eqn:

rev/mi = 63360[in/mi]/((((Width[mm])(AR/100)(2))/25.4[mm/in])+Dia[in])*pi) - which is basically mile/circumference.

It is interesting that the pro-cal instructions specified the use of the calculated value vs. actuals. The calculated value does not take into consideration the actual tire size or the reduction in overall diameter from the contact patch, which explains the higher actuals. I would have thought that the difference in the speedo/odo would be negligible, but I paced the GT against our '08 BMW (accurate??) and I was reading about 5mph lower. That probably explains why I got a 10 mph over speeding ticket when I knew I was only about 5 over on the speedo. I thought the LEO was full of sh!t:bored, maybe not.:biggrin

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
A GPS navigator, even a cheapo one, is a pretty accurate way to measure steady-state speed and check your car's speedometer.

Of course, a VBOX is even better. (It calculates the speed using a different method).

GTme

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
I just leave my 9500ix in the speed readout mode, which works pretty well too. Looks like the 4th screen layout below all the time unless radar hits you then it switches over to the bar graph. It uses the detectors built in gps, I would guess it is fairly accurate.

9500ix-details.gif