Verified "Super Snake" 427 side-oiler roadster

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
An acquaintance is considering selling his left-hand-drive cobra roadster, built by Kirkham. It is a genuine 427 side oiler with verified "continuation" VIN # sanctioned by Carol Shelby and is constructed as an exact replica of the original. The engine puts out 585rwhp dyno'ed and is de-tuned from original race spec so that it can be driven on the street. It has 1000 miles on the clock, it being still a beast to drive and is part of a larger collection. Colors: white/blue racing stripes, red cross-fender stripe accent on driver's side, black interior.
The car's condition is concours and has full weather equipment.
So, here's the question in a broad-brush sort of way. What asking price should be put on this car?
Any general price-range thoughts from Forum Members greatly appreciated and genuine interest in this cobra roadster will be passed along to the owner. If you wish, you can feel free to PM me if you value privacy.
Best,
Paul Eddy

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Paul,

Interesting post, I will address two points, your question and comments about the famous SAAC Registry.

The best web site to sell a Cobra Replica is www.CobraCountry.com Clearly thus is where the car needs to be sold, if getting the best exposure is the goal.

I was sent an editorial written by the site owner and another article on the site written by SAAC owner Rick Kopec that spouts vicious anti Carroll Shelby venom. I found both disgusting! The Cobra kit owners have always been ant-Shelby because of litigation he started against Superformance and Factory Five.

OK, regarding the questions about the car I would want to know is, who built the car, and exactly what Kirkham options does it have? Then what is the casting numbers off the engine that will tell if it is a true automotive side oiler? Keep in mind that FE SO’s where built for marine use and some of them where counter rotating. Who built the engine, and what cam is in it, a roller cam plus what is the bore and are there any cylinder sleeves? A true automotive FE side oilier block alone is worth $30k assuming it has not been sleeved and can be checked out. Then what type of fuel system, and transmission is the car running? Also Kirkham makes a very nice rear end assembly as an option, is that installed. Kirkhams can have more than $30k of options tagged on.

The SAAC registry is important for original cars, it helps keep the counterfeits out.
But, be aware there are some owners of original cars that avoid registries for privacy sake. With regards to all the new cars that are built in the thousands including our beloved Ford Gt’s, I personally don’t think it means a hill of beans.
In fact, I doubt after the litigation is over there will be a SAAC or a registry

Kirkham makes the very best kit Cobra. The market is flooded with cars today.
Without knowing the answers to any of these questions I would think the car is worth $79k to $110k.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited:

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Paul,

Interesting post, I will address two points, your question and comments about the famous SAAC Registry.

The best web site to sell a Cobra Replica is www.CobraCountry.com Clearly thus is where the car needs to be sold, if getting the best exposure is the goal.

I was sent an editorial written by the site owner and another article on the site written by SAAC owner Rick Kopec that spouts vicious anti Carroll Shelby venom. I found both disgusting! The Cobra kit owners have always been ant-Shelby because of litigation he started against Superformance and Factory Five.

OK, regarding the questions about the car I would want to know is, who built the car, and exactly what Kirkham options does it have? Then what is the casting numbers off the engine that will tell if it is a true automotive side oiler? Keep in mind that FE SO’s where built for marine use and somewhere counter rotating. Who built the engine, and what cam is in it, a roller cam plus what is the bore and are there any cylinder sleeves? A true automotive FE side oilier block alone is worth $30k assuming it has not been sleeved and can be checked out. Then what type of fuel system, and transmission is the car running? Also Kirkham makes a very nice rear end assembly as an option, is that installed. Kirkhams can have more than $30k of options tagged on.

The SAAC registry is important for original cars, it helps keep the counterfeits out.
But, be aware there are some owners of original cars that avoid registries for privacy sake. With regards to all the new cars that are built in the thousands including our beloved Ford Gt’s, I personally don’t think it means a hill of beans.
In fact, I doubt after the litigation is over there will be a SAAC or a registry

Kirkham makes the very best kit Cobra. The market is flooded with cars today.
Without knowing the answers to any of these questions I would think the car is worth $79k to $110k.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Daniel

My questions are well answered...many thanks and I will pas. We'll send same along and see what happens. I will keep you in the loop, just for the Hell of it!
Best regards,
Paul

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
There are lots of variables, particularly sight unseen, but generally an excellent condition Kirkham body 427 S/C Cobra with a 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader, Smiths Gauges, Pin Drive knock-offs, side exhausts, and a Shelby CSX VIN # is probably worth 140-150. If it doesn't have the CSX VIN the value would be less to most buyers, perhaps closer to $100,000. :cheers

I posted this before seeing Bony's response. I'm in agreement with Bony's comments and do not think they are in conflict with mine.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby,
Paul doesn't state that the car is a Shelby with Kirkham body. If it is, you may be right.
I saw a nice tupperware CSX car that was made in the Neveda prison system go for $100k, as you know they have been produced in the prisons, CAV, Tijuana and now at High Tech back in S.A.
I think we have to agree that the workmanship and components mean a great deal. However, bottom line, the market is flooded with folks that own these cars and are overextended and need cash.
Cheers,
daniel

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Paul's info is rather vague and all variations of Cobra replicars are available from about 20,000 +. To your point, Bony, I would not want a Shelby Cobra that was made by prisoners; however, I can attest that the Shelby Cobras coming out of his Las Vegas facilities in the past 1-2 years are extremely finely crafted products. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kirby, does that mean you don't like handcuffs? Good thing you and Bony are on opposite coasts!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Buy low, sell high.

Kirby,
Paul doesn't state that the car is a Shelby with Kirkham body. If it is, you may be right.
I saw a nice tupperware CSX car that was made in the Neveda prison system go for $100k, as you know they have been produced in the prisons, CAV, Tijuana and now at High Tech back in S.A.
I think we have to agree that the workmanship and components mean a great deal. However, bottom line, the market is flooded with folks that own these cars and are overextended and need cash.
Cheers,
daniel

Gentlemen,

It is my understanding that the only Kirkham built cars with CSX #s are those that were built for Shelby Automobiles to Shelby specifications. These cars are somewhat different than the car's Kirkham builds for sale to their own customers. Having looked at a bunch of them, the Shelby specification CSX-Kirkham cars bring about $40,000 more than a comparably built and equipped Kirkham-Kirkham cars. As Daniel states in the quote above, right now is a great time to buy a Cobra. With the downturn in the economy, high end Cobra replicas including the CSX cars have declined about $20,000 in market value. There are currently far fewer buyers and far more sellers.

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby,
The work on the early CSX tupperware cars built in the Neveda Prisons was amazing. They where also restoring cars for the Danville Collection and Behring Musuem.

The best CSX 4000 cars car an aluminum body by Kimmons, and demand an extra premium.

Cheers,
daniek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chip,
As I read the post, it was a Kirkham that would be including in the SAAC registry.
Not a Shelby with Kirhman body that would come with a CSX 4000 number.
Cheers,
daniel

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
There are lots of variables, particularly sight unseen, but generally an excellent condition Kirkham body 427 S/C Cobra with a 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader, Smiths Gauges, Pin Drive knock-offs, side exhausts, and a Shelby CSX VIN # is probably worth 140-150. If it doesn't have the CSX VIN the value would be less to most buyers, perhaps closer to $100,000. :cheers

I posted this before seeing Bony's response. I'm in agreement with Bony's comments and do not think they are in conflict with mine.

In addition to being an aluminum-bodied car, not fiberglass like the kit-cars, this engine was built by a famous detroit race-engine shop, to race spec, hence now de-tuned for street use as posted earlier. All goodies mentioned by Kirby V. are on the car:tranny, gauges,knock-offs, exhausts,authenticated CSX VIN and lots more; it truely is spectacular, if you like that sort of thing.
We, of course, love and are loyal to our little 800 horsepower coupe beasties!

FGT1987

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 5, 2007
I believe the "Super Snake" is referring to a dual paxton 427. If this really is a replica of one of only 2 originals, then the value would be substanially higher.
Just the engine with the blowers could easily be worth 35K - 50K.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
In addition to being an aluminum-bodied car, not fiberglass like the kit-cars, this engine was built by a famous detroit race-engine shop, to race spec, hence now de-tuned for street use as posted earlier. All goodies mentioned by Kirby V. are on the car:tranny, gauges,knock-offs, exhausts,authenticated CSX VIN and lots more; it truely is spectacular, if you like that sort of thing.

Hello,
Is the car a SHELBY or a KIRKHAM? Two different things.
FE motors are special, would enjoy hearing the details of the build and the block including casting number. The top FE builders are GESFORD, FE Specalties and some folks regard Kraft as a top builder. If the car has a toploader, was it build by David Kee? The more solid details you have I will allow better feedback.
Cheers,
daniel

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta

Paul -
If the car is in the Shelby Registry, please provide the CSX Number. Who knows, that may be enough to generate an offer from a Forum member. :cheers