vBgarage bites the dust, registry update

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well, I've settled on a software called Photopost to replace the oft-annoying vBgarage. It was a cool hack, being free and all, but it's too much of a PITA to keep. The Photopost people are good enough that over 4,000+ boards pay to run their software, so it's worth adding it here. Should be 2-3 days before they get it installed. You can check it out at www.photopost.com

I'm not sure what that means for the photos already up, but if they can't be salvaged, I'll just save them to hard disk and re-load them for those who somehow no longer have them.

I've also hired a tech nerd to write a proper registry code. Again, I'm not smart enough to write anything searchable, and I really want that to be a feature. By color, stripe, wheel, etc. I was gonna ask Birdman for help, but in a sad and really weird exchange, he got mad at the Google guy and bounced permanently. Que sera sera.

I've been neglecting all these updates I want to do, but my sparetime is hovering around zero right now... :ack

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
thanks..can't wait to see the changes, and as often stated here, if you need some help on the $ side, I and presumable others would be happy to fork over some dough...I think this is a great board.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
DBK said:
Well, I've settled on a software called Photopost to replace the oft-annoying vBgarage. It was a cool hack, being free and all, but it's too much of a PITA to keep. The Photopost people are good enough that over 4,000+ boards pay to run their software, so it's worth adding it here. Should be 2-3 days before they get it installed. You can check it out at www.photopost.com

I'm not sure what that means for the photos already up, but if they can't be salvaged, I'll just save them to hard disk and re-load them for those who somehow no longer have them.

I've also hired a tech nerd to write a proper registry code. Again, I'm not smart enough to write anything searchable, and I really want that to be a feature. By color, stripe, wheel, etc. I was gonna ask Birdman for help, but in a sad and really weird exchange, he got mad at the Google guy and bounced permanently. Que sera sera.

I've been neglecting all these updates I want to do, but my sparetime is hovering around zero right now... :ack

Please post you paypal info, I would like to help offset some of these expense, I am sure others will join in.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Ditto

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Same here!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dave-

You might consider setting up some king of membership subscription level (similar to Ferrari Chat) to help you underwrite your costs. I am sure that many/most of the forum participants would be happy to chip in.

-C

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Florida Chris said:
Dave-

You might consider setting up some king of membership subscription level (similar to Ferrari Chat) to help you underwrite your costs. I am sure that many/most of the forum participants would be happy to chip in.

-C

exactly, however if you go 'politics & religion' as FerrariChat did and now has for members only, I suggest you start it as a members only section. Or... better yet leave it out. Got very nasty over there many times. :frown

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
yep the last thing we need to to do is get everyone mad at each other. i'm getting a job soon and I will pitch in some money to.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Yes!

You have my financial support also! This forum keeps getting better by the day. Jay

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sorry to anyone to was on in the last half hour while I removed all the vBgarage stuff. There is no automated install script so I had to remove everything via manual SQL queries and I didn't turn the forum off before I started hacking everything up :bang

Thanks for your patience. The Photopost stuff should be really cool! :cheers

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
so how do I post pics now?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You can still post stuff as attachments, but otherwise you're gonna have to wait a day or two. I promise, the new stuff will be up soon. :cheers

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
OK, I'll wait

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You don't even have to really wait, they just won't be stored in "your" album permanently, they'll just stay on the site as an attachment like this:

Attachments

• drummerboy.jpg
    drummerboy.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 59

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
like this

Attachments

• d8_4.jpg
    d8_4.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 58

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
cool, I meant this one...

Attachments

• fordgt_2006_50672350_-973788691.1747.jpg
    fordgt_2006_50672350_-973788691.1747.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 57

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Photopost is up

The photopost install is complete. If you click Photo Gallery or point to http://www.fordgtforum.com/gallery you should be able to load photos again, and it should actually resize them :lol I'll be out today until around 7, but when I get back I'll integrate a random image selection onto the forum home page.

As far as the registry goes, SuperB is owed a major load of these :cheers for helping me understand a few things and starting the db. It'll eventually be at http://registry.fordgtforum.com (which is already live) but it just doesn't actually work yet. All para gratis, so he's owed a debt of gratitude!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
p.s out of respect for the server space, could you guys do me a favor and keep the photos at ~a desktop size, under 1920 X 1080 or less? I'll arrange for more disk space soon, but we actually ran out earlier this week so I had to delete a bunch of stuff. :cheers