USS New York - Lets NEVER Forget

PNicholson

A good friend of mine sent me this today.

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite , LA to cast the ship ' s bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, ' those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence, ' recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. ' It was a spiritual moment for everybody there. '

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the ' hair on my neck stood up. ' ' It had a big meaning to it for all of us, ' he said. ' They knocked us down. They can ' t keep us down. We ' re going to be back. '

The ship ' s motto? ' Never Forget '

Please keep this going so everyone can see what we are made of in this country!

SSNewYork3.jpg

SSNewYork2.jpg

SSNewYork1.jpg

SSNewYork5.jpg

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thanks for transferring this over Page! :thumbsup I saw this on the Team Shelby forum and asked Page to share with us also. :usa

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I know it's an LPD...but, I'd STILL like to see missile launchers on it...if you see where I'm comin' from. :devil

(It DOES have two Rolling Airframe Missile launchers for air defense. But, I'm referring to something more...uuuuuuuh..."involved"!:wink)

Last edited: