Update on knock-off wheels

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Forgeline and Halibrand are the 2 remaining sources I have pursued for almost 3 years in the quest for real pin drive, center-lock, knock off wheels, with the goal of making our cars look more like the GT40's. The only requirement other than quality was that the fronts not look like they belonged on a chariot. Forgeline's initial product was rejected because IMO it looked like it belonged on a chariot. I don't know if they are pursuing the necessary modifications, which is an engineering feat with our brakes. Halibrand had already created the solution. They had engineered and proposed forged magnesium KO wheels to Ford prior to production of the FGT but they were nixed by the bean counters. Halibrand updated the proposal for me for the same wheels which were to be forged in Russia, but the cash/letters of credit, $ obligations, risks and unknowns were prohibitive. At that point, I asked Halibrand to do forged aluminum which can be done in the USA and in my mind eliminate many of the risks. These processes are extremely involved for a quality and reputation conscious company like Halibrand. Recently I asked Halibrand if they could get a set for me to display on my car at the Rally. Halibrand agreed the Rally would be a better venue than SEMA, but I don't know whether or not they will be finished in time. If they are, they will be an interim step. The first wheels Halibrand plans to do will be cast aluminum bolt-ons which will look like knock offs. They will be made in sizes to fit both the GT and GT500. If this proves to be a good venture, they plan to follow with forged knock-offs. My X1 will be in SoCal before the Rally in the hopes a set of the wheels will be finished. :cheers

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Any pics or renderings we can see????

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
No pictures or renderings and they are not likely before the wheels are made because of the nature of the wheel business. If Halibrand's rendering got in the wrong hands, a cheap imitation would be on the market before Halibrand's. The lug nuts will not be visible and the spinner (or center lock nut) will appear to be, and perhaps may be, functional. The rears are not a problem and the fronts will have the "right" look, not like the original GT40's but not like they belong on a chariot. :cheers

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
will they have different sizes(for various tires combs)?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
The wheels will be the OEM size 18's and 19's.

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
do you have a update??

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
No pictures or renderings and they are not likely before the wheels are made because of the nature of the wheel business. If Halibrand's rendering got in the wrong hands, a cheap imitation would be on the market before Halibrand's. The lug nuts will not be visible and the spinner (or center lock nut) will appear to be, and perhaps may be, functional. The rears are not a problem and the fronts will have the "right" look, not like the original GT40's but not like they belong on a chariot. :cheers

If they use a design of keeping the lug nuts, I hope they do not hold the spinner on with a screw like many of the Cobra replica wheels are designed. On many of the Cobra replica wheels, the spinner is held on by screws made of disimilar metals which we all know will weld themselves together through rusting. One possible solution would be to use a rubber O-ring to bind the spinner on the wheel, but you definitely wouldn't want to race with the spinner on. You'd have to take it off for any high speed runs. I imagine they could also use lug nuts and still spin the spinner on like a real knock off.