Unlocking the doors with a physical key?

DMS427

Ford Gt Owner
Jan 5, 2008
Michigan
Perhaps I am completely blind...but could someone tell me how you unlock the doors of a GT with a physical key as opposed to the remote or the pushbutton on the door itself. According to the manual we are supposed to be able to manually unlock the doors with the same key that opens the trunk and releases the gas cap. Where is the location of the key cylinder for the doors? Maybe I'm mistaken or completely clueless. There is no diagrahm in the manual that depicts this location.
I have just recently learned if your battery gets too low...it cuts off the ability to open the doors with the remote. I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Perhaps I am completely blind...but could someone tell me how you unlock the doors of a GT with a physical key as opposed to the remote or the pushbutton on the door itself. According to the manual we are supposed to be able to manually unlock the doors with the same key that opens the trunk and releases the gas cap. Where is the location of the key cylinder for the doors? Maybe I'm mistaken or completely clueless. There is no diagrahm in the manual that depicts this location.
I have just recently learned if your battery gets too low...it cuts off the ability to open the doors with the remote. I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Squat down an look in the area a couple inches below the sol. button you push to open the door.

It really is kinda well camo'ed!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
DMS427 as EP said it is lower on the door below the lever. I have found that I had to actually turn it with some strength to get it to open. Start slowly and work your way up from there. Do not bend the key. If you do there is something else wrong with the mechanism.

Last edited:

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
turn it counter clockwise I think

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Thanks,

DMS427,
I found that if you lean on the door pushing in while turning the key it works great. This solves the problem of not breaking the key off in the lock. Also, the passenger side does not have a key hole only the driver side.
good luck:thumbsup

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
What everyone said here... See my Battery Woes thread.

I recently found out it takes a mild amount of force to turn the key counter clockwise and pop the door open. About the same amount of force it takes to mash one of the old manual buttons like on a '60's car.