unique performance - chip weighs in on article that appeared in autoweek

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
About a year ago I was considering having a 1965 Mustang GT350R continuation car built at Unique Performance. They were pretty pricey at $150,000+ depending upon powertrain and options selected. I was also considering a stunning reproduction (one-off) that had been put together in California. So I put in a call to my trusted, ultimate source of information for all things Shelby. That would be Daniel (Bony). He steered me in a different direction and I decided to wait until I could buy an 1960s original. In the meantime I purchased a brand-new Shelby GT Mustang that I really enjoy driving. It looks like Daniel's advice saved me a lot of money and grief. The following article I just came across, written October 4, 2007 in AutoWeek, details some serious issues going on at Unique Performance. For our members considering sending them a check, perhaps some due diligence is in order. :eek Article posted below.

Chip

Trouble at the Mustang Ranch
Problems surface at Unique Performance
By MARK VAUGHN

Looks like Unique Performance, the Texas company producing a host of classic and modern musclecars with Carroll Shelby and Chip Foose badges, is in trouble.

When we wrote about the company a year ago (AW 11/20/2006), things looked golden for Unique. There was a mini assembly line at company headquarters cranking out a number of classic musclecars at what looked like a good clip. We drove many of the cars and enjoyed them all.

But since then things have gone south. Today (Oct. 5) Shelby’s licensing branch announced it has taken steps to sever the relationship with Unique Performance after numerous complaints and several lawsuits filed by customers who had paid money for “Continuation” Shelby GT-350SRs and GT-500Es (Eleanors )but not received cars. Those cars are refurbished original models brought up to more modern standards of safety and performance. Prices range from $100,000 to $200,000.

But Shelby customers weren’t the only ones. Unique Performance also produced refurbished 1969 Camaros and 1970 Challengers designed by Chip Foose and sold under the Foose name.

“We’ve been working with unique to resolve concerns that we’ve brought forth,” said Carson Lev, head of Foose licensing. “Chip is dedicated to the fact that he doesn’t want to leave customers at risk.”

“We don’t want to say, ‘See ya’, that’s your problem,” said Foose of customers who have made deposits on cars. “We’re trying to resolve those issues.”

Unique Performance also produced the Foose Stallion, a Chip Foose-designed tuner car based on the 2007 Ford Mustang, through a network of Ford dealers across the country. The Foose Stallions were manufactured at another Texas company called Unique Performance Concepts, a partnership between Unique Performance and a Fort Worth company called Tecstar. It’s possible that Tecstar could continue to make Foose Stallions without Unique Performance.

The Foose Hemisfear will continue production uninterrupted, since it is manufactured by MetalCrafters in Southern California.

AutoWeek was unable to reach Unique Performance’s ceo Doug Hasty.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
sounds like a classic case of too much too fast. Glad you didn't get hammered.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Glad to hear you made the right decision, Chip, I read that in the news earlier :eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It is a tough business. I have learned that I negociate with shops based on an hourly rate and a weekly pay. Each weekend I expect to receive photos of the weeks work, pictures of the parts they provided and a bill. I then send an electronic check. I have enough references that if a shop refuses to accept that deal, they don't get my work. I also have clear tittle on the car that is there, so if they belly up, there is no argument who the car belongs to, and that I have paid in full for the work completed.

Meanwhile, the clone or cloaks (clone & fakes) have crashed down in price.
Glad you ducked that one Chipper.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I'm following a similar thread on a Mustang forum over here in DFW. It seems the House of Cards (or Clones) has begun the collapse.

I 'd sure hate to have any money "invested" over there.

mardyn

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
We have speculated about their demise for over 2 years now. Lets just say there are alot of us that have friends and have seen this thing from the beginning...There is an automotive news article that I got the other day that says there are about 50-60 supersnakes with issues that they cant' resolve and currently there are 2 lawsuits out there...and they are contemplating naming Shelby as well.

matt

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Bony's advice was obviously sound. If I were C. Shelby, I would be a little more selective in licensing my name. A reputation built over a lifetime can be quickly destroyed.

The entire "continuation car" program is, in my modest opinion, nothing but marketing mumbo jumbo. The "continuation cars" are nothing more than reproductions of the originals no matter who makes them. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with a reproduction, people should pay what the car is really worth (based on workmanship, materials, etc.) and not pay a huge premium just because C. Shelby allowed these folks (for a modest fee) to use his name.

Last edited:

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
A guy that I race with has a 1966 Shelby GT350 FS.

It's an original car with all of the matching number parts (including the engine). It was vintage raced in a few events before the value increased to a point that he stored it. It is white w/ blue stripes.

He is asking $125K+ (not sure of exact number). It is located in Atlanta. PM me if interested, and I'll get you his phone number.

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California
Messy situation. Update from the local news: http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_story_309192500.html
(two video segments)

Last edited:

SVTPony

Oct 5, 2006
Unique filed for bankruptcy 2 weeks ago. They are out of business. The division of Unique (partnered with Tecstar) producing the Foose Stallions is still operating.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Looks like they have real criminal issues with removing vin numbers. Very serious Federal violations.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Three years ago I toured their plant in Dallas and liked what I saw but thought they were too pricey. Then I was at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale (I think it was 2006) and the salesman I had met at Dallas showed me a convertible they had on site that he said was the first one built. He offered it to me for $185000 which was a $30000 premium over ordering one. He said it was because it was ready to be delivered right now and it was labeled as number 1 of the convertibles. I actually considered it but finally passed.

Two months later, they took that exact car to Palm Springs and auctioned it off for something over half a million. :ack I think some if not all went to charity and Speed Channel did a special segment on the sale.

Of course my only consolation is that if I had bought the car, it would have never brought that kind of money for me and I would probably have eventually lost money on it. Charity cars at B-J bring absolutely stupid money.

It will be interesting to see the where the values of these cars go in the future.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think all the vins that Unique touched will be double checked by each state's DMV.

The darkest chapter in Shelby's life was the 3000 series continuiation series. He could have easily wound up in jail over that one.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
one of the guys in the shop told me that a couple of years ago some guy was buying all the 67-68 mustangs out of the local salvages he could get his hands on to make "eleanors" out of.

after hearing about the vin's I wonder if there is/was a connection?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Looks like they have real criminal issues with removing vin numbers. Very serious Federal violations.

Since they are rebuilding the cars from ground up. Is it legal for them to issue a MSO on the "remanufactured" cars so they have new vin #'s ? Because I can't belive they have been doing this all along and this is the first that they have had problems exspecialy for customers to be registering their cars all along. Any way you look at it though it is a shame.:thumbsdow

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think all the vins that Unique touched will be double checked by each state's DMV.

The darkest chapter in Shelby's life was the 3000 series continuiation series. He could have easily wound up in jail over that one.