Tungsten Silver verses Tungsten Gray

5N4K3

Jul 14, 2007
What is the difference between the paint code, prefix, suffix, or mix of the 2006 Ford GT limited-edition Tungsten Silver verses the same year Tungsten Gray found on the 2006 Crown Victoria.

According to everything I can find they are both coded T8, PMP-19500-7145A. But when I saw them on the lot, almost next to each other, the Crown Vic was much darker, almost gun metal and the GT paint sparkled and definitely looked dark silver not gray.

Anyone knows and can help.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
You are correct. I had to have some minor touch up painting done to a lower panel. The paint shop sprayed T8 and the shop said it was 3 shades darker. They had to contact BASF to get the correct mix. I can put you in contact with the shop if you need some paint.

5N4K3

Jul 14, 2007
Contact info for shop knowing Tungsten SILVER mix

Silverbullitt:

Yes that would be great. Please send me the contact information for the shop that got the unique code for our GT’s T8 paint from BASF, and anything I should tell them so that they will remember doing this for you. :banana

This has been killing me, everyone, including the Ford dealer says I am crazy...T8 is T8.:confused

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Did you talk to my source?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Tungsten Paint

Remember that these cars were painted at Saleen.
There is a day to day "difference" in Tungsten coloring.

I had some paint work done to my GT last year. The painter shot 25 white boards before he got it right. Used BASF codes and it finally took 3-4 drops of magenta to get a perfect match.

My particular GT is slightly darker than GT's that were painted some other day. I have some Ford touch up and it is way lighter than what is on the car.

Also make sure that you match the color with inside light and again outside in the sun.That's the only way to get a perfect color match.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Saleen also did some paint work on my car at the Rally. They hit my color on the first try. Everyone I have talked to about this has told me that the GT T8 is not the Ford T8. Who knows? This is a hard color to match.

Last edited:

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
A good quality paint store has a camera like device they put up to your car in several places and it figures out what the proper mix is.:thumbsup

5N4K3

Jul 14, 2007
Silverbullitt : Yes spoke to your source, he was on the golf course so he asked me to call him today. Fortunately, one of my clients sold a business he owns and we needed to get some of his investments reallocated, so I spent the whole day reworking the portfolio and his new life goals. You know Biz first, it pays for the toys!

So I will call him on Wednesday. He did say that BASF was no help and that he had to create the formula from scratch. I'll let you know where we go from here. I might call Saleen to see if they may be of any assistance.

Thanks again for the contact.