Transmission

tallron

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2005
Had a problem with a 05, Silver GT..trans slips out of 3rd with any lite load, area rep arrived & determined 3rd gear syncro was defective..Trans made in England & ford tech cannot open..They ordered a new trans with the same vin # and shipped ..One month later it arrived..The install by the Ford tech was wonderful, did a great job, his knowledge of the car was 2nd to none..The work was done on the West coast of Florida..

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Transmission Synchro?

My car has 1500 miles on it and has always been a bit sensitive shifting into second gear. All the other shifts are fine, just the one-two. You have to take extra care and shift really thinking about it into second. If you don't take a bit of extra care it will crunch SLIGHTLY going into second. This feels/sounds like a synchro problem to me. No popping out of gear....no whines..no other problems with the trans. other than this. Anybody else experience this? I am 50 years old and very familiar with manual transmissions. I have had Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes etc....even Mustang GTs and never noticed such.. It is slight, but still noticeable. Thanks.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was told by the fellow who guided us at the Wixom tour that the second gear crunch is normal and will improve with mileage. He said it was basically a race box modified for the street and would break in over time.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
my car shifts like a hot knife through buttahh. No crunch, easy to hit reverse.
This is the way it is supposed to be. Any other answer is :bs :bs :bs

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
DBTGT Are you experiencing the 2nd gear crunch?

N/T

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
2nd gear crunch is normal, especially when the car is cold.
Just shift 1-3 in the first few minutes of driving. And it definitely improves over time.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Prowler said:
Yes, when cold. It goes away when it warms up.