Transmission cooler maintenance

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I remember correctly, there was a question about the numbering of the fluid container. The original numbered mercon fluid has been changed to a slightly different number.Rich Brooks or Kendall should have the correct new number.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Question on trans oil change intervals

I had a 3:91 put in back the end of July 2022 and have average about 1,000 miles per year........ probably done about 2,500-2,750 miles on the 3:91.
Wondering if the few hundred miles I do at Sebring per year would speed up trans changes and if the new rear gear need a change at this stage now that it's fully broken in?

Stuart

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Question on trans oil change intervals

I had a 3:91 put in back the end of July 2022 and have average about 1,000 miles per year........ probably done about 2,500-2,750 miles on the 3:91.
Wondering if the few hundred miles I do at Sebring per year would speed up trans changes and if the new rear gear need a change at this stage now that it's fully broken in?

Stuart
Cheap insurance. Plus, there's probably some debris in the filter from new gears, dis/reassembly, hard use, and rags that should be cleaned, and some contaminates from assembly lubes and sealants that would be nice to get out. And, to verify it's working, or not, correctly by the amount of this stuff.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Rob is the tranny expert, so listen to him. As for me, I do 30K tranny oil changes, but the last time there was only a little fuzz on the drain plug, so I might go another engine oil change or two before changing the tranny lube next time.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Just did a tranny empty and had a little fuzz on the magnet tip.
What looks like some debris/shavings on the screen... looked alloy in color but not sure?

What's the rubber band looking sealing rings that go on the plugs?
The mag plug doesn't look like a ring but more of a squeeze on seal as its not uniform
Ive not taken the filler plug out yet.
Guessing Jason Hefner used something to apply to the sealing junction?
Manual says crush ring only on screen plug

Attachments

• IMG_6690.jpg
    IMG_6690.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6684.jpeg
    IMG_6684.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 72480779720__05A407A4-B824-4E4B-90F3-44B9AD413CA2-preview.jpeg
    72480779720__05A407A4-B824-4E4B-90F3-44B9AD413CA2-preview.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Wonder if its stuff like this?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Just did a tranny empty and had a little fuzz on the magnet tip.
What looks like some debris/shavings on the screen... looked alloy in color but not sure?

What's the rubber band looking sealing rings that go on the plugs?
The mag plug doesn't look like a ring but more of a squeeze on seal as its not uniform
Ive not taken the filler plug out yet.
Guessing Jason Hefner used something to apply to the sealing junction?
Manual says crush ring only on screen plug
Probably Ford/International sealant/adhesive. Stuff is awesome and adds a little protection against leaks but I wouldn't use it on plugs. Excess can go places you don't want it too. Teflon paste and Aviation Permatex work well for plugs, or just install a new washer.

Reactions: Nafod

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Wonder if its stuff like this?

This sealant is awesome, I use it a lot. What gets compressed, hardens(absence of O2). Even acts like loctite as it squishes into threads. What doesn't get compressed stays fluid and won't plug anything if it dislodges. Only good for nicely machined surfaces. Silicone, etc. can compensate for lesser quality surfaces.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Your fuzz looks normal. OEM uses a white Teflon paste on both plugs. Follow torque specs. (Dang Italians... 3-plugs need to be removed during a fluid change - each one of them a different size! lol)

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
2 of the 3 holes that I removed plugs from had crush rings.... (pass side didn't)
The screen filter ring was bonded to the trans so I left that and did what you see in the pic and set the new sealer/bolt to the ring on the trans.

The fill plug ring I honed down on a fine stone and will set it as well with the gasket maker once trans is filled up .

I vacuumed out another 80mm from the trans (4 uncles brake bleader/vacuum) after it even sat for many hours doing a gravity drain.
I wanted the low exit areas to be fully free from any seeping/resting fluid.

Instructions say to "finger tight" bolt for 60min, then tighten to spec.

The filter screen stops real early (when doing finger tight) as it has to seat with the female receiving slot inside the trans.

Next time id use wrench to get the screen/filter bolt further into the thread before 60 min curing starts and do the last turn via wrench.

Lets hope alls well

Stu

Attachments

• IMG_6698.jpeg
    IMG_6698.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6701.jpeg
    IMG_6701.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Gold finds its homeIMG_6719.jpeg

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Why not pour it thru the speed sensor fitting hole? It would seem easier.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I used a Scotts spray/pump bottle to transfer into case.
Bought 8' of clear tube that was a tight fit to push into bottle.
Ran it over the exhaust and down and in.
Pumped bottle a few dozen times over 10 min and the 4 bottles went in and it spilled out fill hole right as the last drop that left the container..

Attachments

• IMG_6718.jpeg
    IMG_6718.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: Art138