***Transaxle Cooler Now Available***

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OK, Chris, I'm not so sure. When I tested the transaxle flow, I did so by starting the car while my son held the open transaxle lines into a small bucket. (We were trying to determine once and for all the flow direction.)

We didn't get any flow at all with the engine running. So, we proceeded to jack up the rear of the car and then repeated the test withe the rear tires in the air and slowly letting out the clutch. We got flow!

However, it occurs to me that what we should have tried (and perhaps you did), is letting the engine run with the clutch out. This would have allowed the main shaft of the transaxle to spin and it is likely that the pump would be driven. In short, your method could have very well worked - assuming you were "clutch out".

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yeah, I was clutch out, I figured I had to have the tranny turning for a tranny pump to work.

Today just to make sure I went and ran the car five or six miles. I took the air cleaner back off and checked the fluid level. It was completely full, in fact a bit more than full now that the tranny was hot. Maybe 1-2 oz spilled out when I pulled the plug.

So, it would seem as long as you run the car in neutral with the clutch out you are pumping fluid. No need to drive to top off after the intercooler install.