Trans Cooler Recommendations

I want to install a trans cooler on my 2005 GT. I have seen a number of different cooler kits at many different prices. Any input, experience or addvice will be appriciated. I drive the car mostly for fun and also plan on participating in the Silver State Classic. I am not planning on driving the GT at the track as I use my 2005 Mustang for that. ( I prefer beating up the cheap car!) Thanks, Tim (GT374)

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Tim, check out Kendall's (Nota4re) transaxle cooler at Cooltech's website - http://www.cooltechllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=2 . Kendall's products are all first rate, he's very knowledgable and helpful, as well as being a fellow FGT owner. In the opinion of many, including mine, you can't buy a better trans cooler than his. A few months ago at the Newport Rally when a number of us were blasting through the Canyons, the trans cooler equipped cars appeared to fare appreciably better.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Try Kendall at cooltechllc.

I highly recommend him, his products, and his customer support.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Yeah, I want a cooltech tranny cooler & Halon suppression system for Christmas. Cooltech has got first class equipment & great support. I just hope my wife still has Kendall's number. :thumbsup

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I have the cooltech tranny cooler and halon system from Safecraft. Both Kendall at Cool Tech and Don at Safecraft were very helpful. Looks great in the car. GT Guys installed for me since the car was there for some other stuff. Looking at the directions though, the install looks straight forward.

Stu

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I recommend the Cooltech. Nice piece, great instructions, easy bolt on, less expensive than the FRPP cooler, looks stock, and good customer support.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
can anybody tell me what the capacity difference is between this cooler and the ford factory one? it looks like this one has bigger lines too?

M

Mark O

Personally, I don't like braided lines & prefer the fit & look of the factory unit. But what do I know. :wink

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I recommend the Cooltech. Nice piece, great instructions, easy bolt on, less expensive than the FRPP cooler, looks stock, and good customer support.

+ 1:thumbsup

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I know of one case where a Ford factory trans cooler line has ruptured. I know of NO cases where the Cooltech transcooler has had a problem. Your call ?? PD

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I know of one case where a Ford factory trans cooler line has ruptured. I know of NO cases where the Cooltech transcooler has had a problem. Your call ?? PD

Yep! This is why we have braided line. I would use braided line on all my farm equipment if it wasn't so cost prohibitive. And besides, the cooltech unit has blue fittings available that match the paint scheme on my car. :wink

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I know Kendall's tranny cooler is first class, I would have purchased it if I had not ordered my Ford unit three days before Kendall came out with his product.
I spent all day at Willow Springs this past Tuesday with a private lesson on the Streets of Willow and I had no tranny overflow of any kind at the end of the day with my stock GT setup and Ford parts tranny cooler.
The car just rocks no matter what we decide to do with it. :banana

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California
I know Kendall's tranny cooler is first class, I would have purchased it if I had not ordered my Ford unit three days before Kendall came out with his product.
I spent all day at Willow Springs this past Tuesday with a private lesson on the Streets of Willow and I had no tranny overflow of any kind at the end of the day with my stock GT setup and Ford parts tranny cooler.
The car just rocks no matter what we decide to do with it. :banana

Similar experience with the Ford cooler after a track day at Thunderhill. No problems. Been very happy with the unit.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have the Ford unit which has been problem free so far. Given the choice I'd prefer braided lines.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Personally I went with the Ford unit because it has a little 1/2 inch "Ford" stamp on it. Same reason I went with the Borla exhaust.

They are both good units but I would say the cooltech cooler looks to be a bit bigger and Kendall is a good guy to deal with. If I were installing it purely for function, I would go with the cooltech.

With 16 exposed fuel injectors you should seriously consider the Halon system too.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
GT374 I am not mecahnically inclined!! I went with the Cooltech trans cooler and the Safecraft fire system. Did the install Myself. Went together great and have NO problems. Like some I would prefer using OEM branded product but for the cost of these babies I will use the best regardless of brand. Just keep the old parts to replace in the future if you wish.
Highly recommend both!!:thumbsup

Thanks to everyone!

You guys are great! Thanks for your help. Tim (GT374)