Toyota Accelerator Problem

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
from the Seattle Times

WASHINGTON -- There is no evidence that unintended accelerations in Toyota vehicles were caused by electronic flaws, the Transportation Department said Tuesday. The agency reached the conclusion after a 10-month investigation that said the mechanical causes were the same ones identified earlier by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): sticking accelerator pedals and floor-mat interference.

"The jury is back," said Ray LaHood, the transportation secretary. "The verdict is in. There is no electronic-based cause for unintended high-speed acceleration in Toyotas. Period." An engineer from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), brought in to help conduct the inquiry, was slightly less categorical but still emphatic.

"It's very difficult to prove a negative," said Michael Kirsch, a principal engineer with NASA's Engineering and Safety Center. But the electronic system for throttle controls in Toyotas would require two separate sensors to fail simultaneously in such a way that neither created an "error code" in the vehicle's onboard computer.

I think the NASA engineer may be closer to the truth. It would be difficult to imagine a situation where two sensors both failed to give error codes, but it seems more possible to me than floor mats.

Last edited:

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
One thing has always bothered me about the floor mat explanation for this Toyota sudden acceleration problem. It is as follows. For many decades cars have been delivered to customers with floor mats installed and there has never been a widespread floor mat/accelerator sticking issue. Now, during a period of a few years, several Toyota models with different foot well/mat configurations simultaneously have mat/foot pedal designs which cause accelerator pedals to stick. This defies all logic… or am I missing something?

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
I agree. I cannot imagine how a floor mat can cause acceleration without some input to the peddle. I once had the accelerator stick on my Dad's thunderbird when I floored it. The peddle stuck under the seam at the top of the carpet. I reached down and pulled it back and all was well. Though, at 18 I was a little nervous because the T-bird was (and still is) Dad's pride and joy and I might have been a little "aggressive" in my use.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
. But the electronic system for throttle controls in Toyotas would require two separate sensors to fail simultaneously in such a way that neither created an "error code" in the vehicle's onboard computer.

I think the NASA engineer may be closer to the truth. It would be difficult to imagine a situation where two sensors both failed to give error codes, but it seems more possible to me than floor mats.

That is, unless the two sensors are in fact 'duplicates' in design. Then instead of getting a 'failsafe' in a second sensor, you get redundancy in application and/or failure. These kind of things happen in a cost savings environment where parts are commonized.

Indy GT would understand this....

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Funny, I didn't hear that jag Waxman apologize to Toyota for being wrong.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
This sh$t happens every few years. Back in the 80s I defended Audi in the Audi 5000 "sudden acceleration" cases--a total joke that cost VW milions and millions. The media thrives on the fact that a car can somehow on its own rocket out of control. The following is totally politically incorrect but stats will show that an inordinate number of UA cases involved women.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Now, will our government return the 49 million dollar fine they levied against Toyota? I'll bet not...

mardyn

H

HHGT

How does one discover embedded malware code in the firmware? Did the geniuses performing the investigation reverse engineer the code? I dont think so!!!
Why would Toyota admit to this instead of santizing their own code without pleading guilt?