Todays market

paulkopick

Mar 20, 2006
How does everything stack up now that no more will be made? Prices going back up? Still sitting in show rooms? As time goes on will I be priced out because of lack of units? Would appreciate any input. Thanks

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
The first question one has to answer for oneself is - how much do you enjoy driving a fine car; a car with very few performance peers? A SUPER car. If you enjoy driving (and are not interested, say, merely in owning cars to get attention), then the GT is a bargain. It's worth the memories no matter what you pay frankly. Anyone who wants to put a price tag on ownership of a supercar, like whining about what is missing or some immaterial flaws - is missing the whole point of the car, and should probably move on to something else.

IMHO, it is better to buy a new GT now while they are available, than to wait. A car is only new once. The new car supply will dry up and then people who waited will discover that most owners are so loyal to the GT that they will never sell them. In coming years it will be a scramble to find just a clean car with no history, let alone a car with the color one really wants.

Plus with all the modifications owners are making, un-modified cars will be increasingly rare. The muscle car phenomena is a good example, where most muscle cars were heavily modified over their lifespan, only to be restored in recent years to get the value they truly deserve. And very few muscle cars can hold a candle to the GT, despite how fond one's memories may be of the old cars [back in the day I had two '69 Z28's , a Hemi Cuda, etc.] The GT is fabulous and a great tie to the 60's glory in a very unique way.

Last argument in favor of not waiting - Inflation. It's a fact that the purchasing power of the dollar diminishes every year. So prices of scarce commodities rise over time to keep pace.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
That was...

....a great post. Nicely done and well said Mr. Red Rocket. :cheers

Chip

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Just IMHO

I have owned hundreds of cars/trucks...regular, exotic, classic whatever...you name it pretty much. I have had "garage queens"...what a ROYAL pain! Unfortunately I don't have the resources of Jay Leno (who I admire) and can't afford someone to take care of my collection and have each ready at my beckon call. I love cars, and cars were meant to be driven. I drive my GT almost every day (I don't think anyone drives the same car every day...think about it). I mean it really isn't functional to haul firewood so I use my pickup for that. I guess it wouldn't be very good for soccer moms or carpooling either but those aren't an issue for me. Rather than letting it sit with a battery tender on it and a sure fire bet for premium value for my kids to inherit , I drive it and I love every minute. Yes it will get a door ding, yes it will depreciate...who cares..not me. All the thumbs up, the people hanging out windows with a camera, the exhilaration from the way it drives and the smile on my face is worth it. So the doors are a bit less than "user friendly"....more of a inconvenience than a "problem". I park it at WalMart, Sam's Club, restaurants..whatever....although I am able to choose a good spot...perhaps a perk for living in Texas and not NYC. Never been "trapped"...not once. Hopefully for my kids sake that aluminum, carbon fiber, and leather will be at an all time high when I pass as I hope I will have used up every drop of the car by then.
Would I recommend buying several new ones and keeping them in a bubble for investment purposes?.....Not so much.
Would I recommend buying one because you enjoy it and it MIGHT appreciate over time?.......ABSOLUTELY!

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
thanks for the compliment Mr. Beck.

For all those guys who kindly sent me pm's or email notes about this subject - thanks to you also. We have a great crew of true enthusiasts at this Forum.

BTW, I sure enjoyed the muscle cars when I had them but I also remember that the brakes tended to not work as good as I wanted, nor the handling, like when I used to get chased by the cops back to my parent's house! So I gradually moved over to sports cars, then exotics.

I had two Sunbeam Tiger's along the way as a teenager; by the time I got the second one I got a bit smarter, and I rigged up a toggle switch into the light system so that when I flipped the switch it turned off the license plate lights, the tailights and the brake lights. The only things left on were the headlights so that the Po-leece could be evaded in the twisty bits of road back to home base. Trouble was, the last turn was a 90 degree bend just before our place, so sometimes I was carrying too much speed and had to decide to bail on the turn (because there was a huge Pine Tree at the outside of the corner :ack :ack ).

Funny thing is - I got to be good friends with the cop that was chasing me. He got promoted to Highway Patrol, and as a senior guy he got to order his own car each year. Thus he tried various big block cars like the 428 Fords, and the 440 and 426 Chryslers. It was pretty cool to have a cop pull up to your house to show you his new car and take you for a test drive - of course the neighbors were scandalized!

I still love the old cars, mainly for the nostalgia of course. I recall seeing my first Superbird to this day (that was back in 1971). I'm sure most guys are paying these big bucks now because of those old memories.

But just think of the memories these GT's are creating right now. First and foremost - it's American! And everyone loves it, even them damn furriners. That equals an excellent future of many years of smiles all around. :cheers

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
You are right on Red Rocket!

Oh the times I turned off my lights and used my emergency brake so you couldn't see my taillights! Some excellent memories.........I'll throw on an extra chicken fried steak Red Rocket if you want to come down and swap stories. Btw....we aren't hijacking this thread are we? I think we are just exemplifying why you should buy a Ford GT.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Excellent Prowler - I accept your offer. Texans always did have the best hospitality. Chicken fried steak is a delicacy I have yet to try. I think I'm gonna need at least 3lbs of it for the main course. Hold the fried rattlesnake. Bring on the Lone Star.

re Hijacking - well, it's all about the love isn't it? Without love, no relationship is worth a damn. Even with a car.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Each time I drive the car out, the general public says stuff like, "Aren't those $500,000?" "Beautiful car" "You are lucky"

"I hear that you can't get one of those for less than $250,000."

Just finished the Nov 18th cruise with 9 GT'ers total. Stayed overnight at the Hilton Palm Springs. All comments and interactions have been positive. (Not that that matters, but it's nice that people enjoy the car).

The car is priceless. I love it. Just hit 1,230 miles in my first month...I am enjoying every single mile. This is my first and only exotic car, first two seater ever (besides a motorcycle). Financially, emotionally, a little bit of a stretch, but has exceeded all my expectations. Well worth it. I intend to use and enjoy the car.

I waited until I thought prices would drop as far as they could, and I could still get what I wanted.

Black, no stripes, no mac. No regrets. If I died tomorrow, I would have led a happy life, and no, not because of the car, but because of going after what you know in your heart you want.

IMG_4360.jpg

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
You do know that RED is the fastest right?

[QUOTEI . " No regrets. If I died tomorrow, I would have led a happy life, and no, not because of the car, but because of going after what you know in your heart you want."

IMG_4360.jpg
[/QUOTE] I agree wholeheartedly SYCOGT. Btw, beautiful car and nice garage.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Prowler.

Of course, my GT looks best, when out amongst it's brotherhood.

From the Nov 18th, So Cal Cruise...

IMG_4373.jpg

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Very nice. I like that black without the center stripe. BTW where are all the red cars?

rveach

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Stockdale, Ohio
I competed on the national level of truck pulling on a series which was televised on espn for 6 years. It was a huge rush driving a 2500 horsepower supercharged vehicle down the track with the front end in the air but it doesn’t even come close to the rush I get out of driving my GT. I have had the car since the 15th of September and have put 1900 miles on it. Like a lot of the rest of you on here the GT is not the only car in my collection I have a Viper and a couple Mustangs but the GT is the only one I want to drive. I figure if I get to drive the GT 40000 miles that was only 4.65 a mile with the pulling truck it would cost 500.00 to go 300 feet if you didnt break anything. The GT by far is a value for what it is.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
rveach said:
I competed on the national level of truck pulling on a series which was televised on espn for 6 years. It was a huge rush driving a 2500 horsepower supercharged vehicle down the track with the front end in the air but it doesn’t even come close to the rush I get out of driving my GT. I have had the car since the 15th of September and have put 1900 miles on it. Like a lot of the rest of you on here the GT is not the only car in my collection I have a Viper and a couple Mustangs but the GT is the only one I want to drive. I figure if I get to drive the GT 40000 miles that was only 4.65 a mile with the pulling truck it would cost 500.00 to go 300 feet if you didnt break anything. The GT by far is a value for what it is.

Got any photos of your truck? Was it one of those multi-engine jobs? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy seeing a photo if you post it! :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Red Rocket said:
Very nice. I like that black without the center stripe. BTW where are all the red cars?

Thanks Red Rocket. Yes, interestingly enough, not a single red or yellow GT.

I found my stripeless in Pennsylvania, and had her transported to California.

rveach

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Stockdale, Ohio
Florida Chris said:
Got any photos of your truck? Was it one of those multi-engine jobs? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy seeing a photo if you post it! :thumbsup

Mine was a two wheel drive truck we were only allowed one engine. But I have drove a multi engine for a friend of mine a few times it was fun but the truck was a lot better ride. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Fair.jpg
    Fair.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 179

rveach

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Stockdale, Ohio
Here is one more

Attachments

• 100_01541.jpg
    100_01541.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 175

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Mine was a two wheel drive truck we were only allowed one engine. But I have drove a multi engine for a friend of mine a few times it was fun but the truck was a lot better ride. Here is a pic.[/QUOTE]

man is that thing ever cool :cool its definately got the look. looks like alot fun to me :cheers