To any of the proud owners of a Midnight Blue FORD GT...

nnickty

Apr 26, 2006
We've been searching for just the right blue for my wife's 1967 Cougar project. We prefer to keep the color "in the family" but none of the standard line of FORD colors are what we're looking for. Even here in Southern California GT sightings are far and few between and have been limited to red. Basically we are searching for a dark blue pearlescent hue. Does the GT's Midnight Blue fit the bill?

Thanks in advance,
nnickty

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
nope...didn't for me..bought the rarer black instead

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
nnickty, the GT blue is deep and rich, a nice choice. Also, did you see the blue that MK2 GT might use for his custom painted GTX-1? Search on his posts, what a beautiful blue that is!

LEMANSZ, not sure that black is all that rare. Believe black is twice as common as blue.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
nnickty, you might try looking through PPG or House of Colors catalogs. They have every color under the sun and if you have a bud in the body business you can have him spray a paddle any custom color you and the wife prefer! Don't get hung up on a factory Ford color, their are way too many choices to be had. PM me and I'll send you some photos of my 1940 Willys Roadster. It has a three stage color on it, PPG paints Stratto Blue Metallic base with Candy Blue on top. The color will blow you away. It's probably not for your Cougar project (unless you are going custom not stock) but it will give you an idea of how diversified you can get. The paint on my roadster is so nice that you can see the cracks in your teeth from twenty feet away...sorry, just had to say that!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
KJD...didn't get black because it was rare...got it becuase I like the way it looks...anyway according to Ford's numbers. I think the 'rarest' colors would be yellow, black, blue, white, silver, red..anyway, to each their own...they are all beautiful..if they had a 'Brittany Blue color (like my 67 GT350 Shelby) would have got that!

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
The color centerpunch is referring to is called Midnight Blue Pearl. Beautiful color that Honda Motor Co. puts on Hondas and Acuras. I know this because I am an Acura dealer. I still stand by looking into your own color blend thru PPG or H of C. Once I figure out how to do it, I will attach some photos of my hot rod.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
LEMANSZ said:
KJD...didn't get black because it was rare...got it becuase I like the way it looks...anyway according to Ford's numbers. I think the 'rarest' colors would be yellow, black, blue, white, silver, red..anyway, to each their own...they are all beautiful..if they had a 'Brittany Blue color (like my 67 GT350 Shelby) would have got that!

As it should be, that's the right reason to buy, buy what you like. Trust me on this, I like black as much as you do. I think silver and yellow are probably the least common colors and certainly the Heritage combo is low production as well.

Did you see some of those "exotic" colors being kicked around for GTX-1 custom paint? Reminded me of the Lambo line or the old Chrysler musclecar days!!!!

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
From Centerpunch's FordGTprices.com site:

"...A recent analysis showed that the most common colors of GTs currently offered on eBay and AutoTrader are Red (23%), Tungsten (19%), Black (17%), and White (16%), for a total of 75%. Less common colors are Blue (8%), Yellow (7%), Heritage (7%) and Silver (4%). Note also that silver was only offered in 2005 models, and Tungsten and Heritage were only offered in 2006 models."

Blue is not very common. I looked far and wide before finding one with the options I wanted.

Eric

nnickty

Apr 26, 2006
Thanks guys...

...for all of your suggestions and recommendations. While I'm not completely adverse to the idea of finding a color outside of the FORD stable, it is my preference when I can. It seems as though virtually all domestic (...except FORD) and foreign makers have a version of the blue that we seek with some small variations. Some are a little too gray...some a little too green. Our favorite, so far, has been "Patriot Blue" from Dodge. They also have a newer "Midnight Blue" that I believe I have seen that has a little less gray to it than the "Patriot Blue". This is what our ideal choice would be and I was hoping that the "Midnight Blue" of the FORD GT might be in the ballpark. I guess the only way I'll be able to tell is too actually see one. I'll try to keep my eyes and ears open for possible get-togethers that you guys might have in the near future here in the Southern California area. Thanks once again.

nnickty