Tires Slipping on Wheels?

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Being a fairly new owner of a Ford GT, I have read all of the posts on the Forum, and have not come across this subject. After reading about the black dot on the wheel, and the red mark on the tire, and how they should line up, I checked my car. All red marks on all four tires lined up with the black dots on all four wheels. This morning I took the car out for the first spirited driving session on a local winding mountain road. After about an hour of driving, I noticed that the rear tire marks did not line up with the black wheel dots. They are misaligned by approximately 2 inches. The direction of misalignment is as if the wheel went forward and the tire didn't. I have never heard of a tire slipping on a wheel without going flat. My tires did not loose any pressure, and I didn't notice any problems when driving the car. Matter of fact I haven't had as much fun driving a car before. Has anyone experienced this before, or know if I should follow up with a GT mechanic?

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
Behold the beauty of torque! "Spirited" was probably an understatement. :) Many drag racers and hot rodders with high HP cars actually screw the tire to the wheel from the inside of the wheel through the bead of the tire to keep the wheels from slipping.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I have not heard of any slippage and I track the car....

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Maybe it is a common occurance, and having the reference marks on both tire and wheel, it is just easier to determine that the tire has moved on the wheel. This car is made to be driven hard at times, and I will do that. Some parts may break, and any shortcomings that I find in the car will be addressed, and reported on this forum for the enthusiasts that use the car as it was intended.