Tire Cradles?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
What is the general consensus on tire cradles? I have noticed that the tires literally “stick” to the epoxy floor in my garage since changing them over to Hoosiers. I was pushing the car back by hand and could hear them “un-sticking” from the surface. It made me think about getting tire cradles to help protect them.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gulf, there is a long, involved, old thread about these, with some nice pictures by Nielda. They looked enticing, but I don't remember anyone actually buying any. Neilda gave business addresses for supplier.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Gulf, there is a long, involved, old thread about these, with some nice pictures by Nielda. They looked enticing, but I don't remember anyone actually buying any. Neilda gave business addresses for supplier.

It must have been deleted, as I have tried searching for it.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Gulf, what about these mats?

Thank You Mad, but this is what I am referring to:

http://www.tirecradle.com/

And for reference about flat spotting of tires when parked:

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf

I've heard that most temporary flat spots are gone after a warm up of a couple dozen miles from numerous sources, but when I saw how sticky the slicks are, my engineering brain began wondering about a the impact on softer tires occurring quicker and becoming permanent faster.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I have heard that if you use nitrogen in the tires instead of air, the flat spots are less of a problem. Anybody else know?

Stu

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Not so sure Nitrogen will make a diff. It's is just the weight on the same spot that causes the problem. Roll it a couple feet one way or the other to get it to a new spot every 10 days. That is what we had to do with the old polyglass tires. Back in the day.

Either that or we put the car up on stands or blocks.

Today's tires are far more user friendly with the steel belts. Race tires or slicks without DOT ratings likely to not have steel belts. I think the Hoosiers still do.

Hoosier recommened to me that the spare race tires be:

Bagged in a trash bag and sealed
Stored flat
Let the air out.

This extends the life and slows the aging of the rubber. I think the tires that go over 1.5 years are moved to the discounted section. They were pretty fussy about climate control in the whse to keep tires from aging too quickly. Max performance is always better with fresh heat cycled tires in my experience.

RSR1975

GT Owner
Sep 11, 2006
Yardley, PA
"Tire Cradles" in use with a GT

I have been using Tire Cradles for my low-profile tires on Porsches for 7 or 8 years with great results. I live in Pennsylvania where the winters are long and the concrete gets cold. My cars sit for months at a time and I have never experienced a flat spot issue since I started using them. When I purchased my GT last year I bought my third set. I have used them on bare concrete, my four-poster Backyard Buddy rack, and on my RaceDeck Flooring (I'm starting to sound like an infomercial), all without any concerns.

The only issue with Tire Cradles is the $$$$. They work, but I am staggered everytime I buy a set. Seems like a lot of cash for some specialized rubber, but maybe it isn't a concern for this crowd. Contact me if I can help with any specific comments.

Lee

Last edited:

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Nitrogen lets the tires have a higher cold pressure without over inflating when hot, less pressure growth. The problem with sticky tires is that when parking with hot tires, they will stick to the floor and pull some rubber off when next moved. It is a problem in hot climates such as Palm Springs in the summer even if not driving hard just prior to putting away.

A possible solution is to put down something slick and smooth, such as plastic bags, to put the tires on. I have not tried it but it may keep the tires from sticking and chunking anything off of them, worth a try once.

I do not think the "out of round" concern is any problem. With race tires, we either put the car up on jack stands after the initial heat cycle, remove them from the car for 24 hours to cool down or roll the car back and forth every 30 minutes for awhile during the cool down if the tires are going to stay on the car and be used that day. Letting them cool down for one or more days after the initial heat cycle is prefered. The other idea is to purchase them already heat cycled. Tire Rack offers that with race tires. Heat cycling does require getting the tires up to temps and that can be tough to do on the street but it can be done.:biggrin

Using a pressure gauge to be sure they are up to temps is important if you don't have a temp guage, however.

Let us know what works.

"Big Dog"